New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift Build 14.0 Release Notes

Comments

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    edited February 28
    dburne said:Of course there were updates to the PTC version 14 while it was in testing - that is what the PTC is for.
    That does not change the fact that there were app 3 weeks from time of initial PTC availability for version 14 to the Release Version 14.
    Not one day.

To say they put the initial PTC 14 out one day and then put it in Release Version 14 the next day is false.
    I have no idea what point you are trying to make. It doesn't matter how many builds were available over what period of time, what matters is that they released a NEW UNTESTED PTC build and then immediately released it as a general release with no time for anyone to test it. And this is not the first time.

Oculus has now made themselves pretty notorious for taking a stable build and introducing bugs in the following one.  So tweaking PTC 14 over three days, three weeks or three months, who cares if the final tweak breaks it? Case in point, I see about 10 active posts on the Oculus Reddit of people complaining that they developed serious problems when the final V14 came out, whereas they were fine on V13.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    edited February 29

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. It doesn't matter how many builds were available over what period of time, what matters is that they released a NEW UNTESTED PTC build and then immediately released it as a general release with no time for anyone to test it. And this is not the first time.

Really? - My concept of time is obviously different to yours!
    Immediately? :D

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    edited February 29
    dburne said:Of course there were updates to the PTC version 14 while it was in testing - that is what the PTC is for.
    That does not change the fact that there were app 3 weeks from time of initial PTC availability for version 14 to the Release Version 14.
    Not one day.

To say they put the initial PTC 14 out one day and then put it in Release Version 14 the next day is false.

Oculus has now made themselves pretty notorious for taking a stable build and introducing bugs in the following one.  So tweaking PTC 14 over three days, three weeks or three months, who cares if the final tweak breaks it? Case in point, I see about 10 active posts on the Oculus Reddit of people complaining that they developed serious problems when the final V14 came out, whereas they were fine on V13.

My point was quite simple.
    PTC went through app 3 weeks of testing, not 1 day.
    Suggest you open a support ticket if you are having problems.
    Running great on my end.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Art3mis
    dburne said:
    My point was quite simple.
    PTC went through app 3 weeks of testing, not 1 day.
    Suggest you open a support ticket if you are having problems.
    Running great on my end.

I have had a ticket open for about two months due to stuttering introduced in the version 12 release. I posted earlier in this topic that the initial V14 PTC finally fixed my problem and I could use my Rift S for the first time in months. I had several days of play with no issues. Then they released a new build of V14 PTC and all my problems came back. I posted about it in this topic and told the support person in my ticket and sent him my logs. I asked him to pass it on to the engineers and to please look at it before making PTC 14 final. I never got a response. Then there is another update to PTC 14 and the final version is released the next day.  All of my problems remain. So with all due respect, I have paid very careful attention to this PTC and I watched it fix problems then reintroduce them, and then get pushed through to a final release with about a day to test whatever the last build was. If it sounds like I am just venting that's ok because I am. But my problems are the same widespread ones posted about all over the internet and maybe they could have fixed it if they had used the PTC as it was intended.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    Windows 10 Home
  • Jazzy53Jazzy53 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I am really happy  to see the mic has finally been enabled for Quest with Link. The addition of volume controls is also good.
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    JKangSC said:
    I have to setup the guardian system every time I use it. Any hot fix for this?
    FYI I ran the oculus installer to repair the software.  It didn't fix the problem.  I still have to setup the guardian system every time I use it as well.  It's very annoying.
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    tbh im sick of hearing about Quest this Quest that when this is the rift/s page anyway next point after writing back to the last insulting response from the report ticket telling them that stuttering/jumping happens on home they again asked me "Would you please tell me if you experience any stuttering or jumps while in Oculus Home?
    Would you please attempt to get this same issue to come up playing an Oculus app, and let us know specifically which app that is?"
    do they not read the replies in full?, so im forced to go through the dreamdeck to get stuttering, go through first steps with stuttering and first contact with stuttering, then i download lucky tails "because they work closely  with developers"
    i tried that and guess what stuttering and lag jumps again so please no more excuses saying its kunos' fault with assetto corsa competizione
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,275 Valuable Player
    edited February 29
    Ya @morphee7 I'm also getting pretty sick and tired of all the Quest Link posts polluting this Rift cv1/S thread.  The Quest already has a separate sub-forum so I don't see why Quest Link related PCVR issues could not be covered a lot more efficiently over there.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• tocaedittocaedit Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    please fix "software restart loop" and "guardian setup loop" in v15
  • OversizeWizardOversizeWizard Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I find the issue with the Guardian is that if you change anything in the room your in, then it sees it as a new place .
    Get same with my quest.  Not just rift S.

Put a lair of shoes in front of me and the Guardian sees it as a new room again.
    Art3mis
    :D:'( i have now gone full circle on the support ticket for problem solving (from a different member of staff btw on my ticket) with the "lets get you on the PTC" which ive been on since a month after the release of the rift s and the "reseat both ends of your cables" guide and "cheak your windows usb power settings" guide.
    i deeply regret buying the rift s they are destroying suck a great piece of hardware wit hthere mediocre software development
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,614 Valuable Player
    edited March 1
    As I just told Tom, the strangest thing just happened - I just tried Oculus Video and then Vimeo Videos - and now perfect sound is back! I tried both new and old vids - and old ones I know where without sound a few days ago. 

I have not downloaded any new Oculus updates - at least none is registered in the Oculus Desktop app. 

Divine creatures and some Vimeo and/or Oculus devs may know if some changes happened to the sound codec that has just been reversed - otherwise I really have no clue why the problem suddenly has been fixed. 

Sound in Vimeo vids reminds me so much of when a girlfriend broke up with me when I was 15, I didn't realize how much she meant to me before she was gone, lol. 

This also means that V14 seems to be working perfectly on my rig - with the apps and games I use. But I only use Index for SteamVR, thus my CV1 is restricted to Oculus Home - or Steam apps/games that support native Oculus drivers.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Lethal_AimsLethal_Aims Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    Why does is still install the pointless Oculus Virtual Audio Device?
    Art3mis

because they want there software to run all there devices

Lethal_Aims said:

Quest with Link uses it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Art3mis
    edited March 4
    Just got the following response (March 4) in my support ticket regarding the stuttering issues some have experienced since version 12. Hopefully this covers other things like the USB connectivity.

Thank you for your continued patience. I'm happy to provide you with an update here.
    We've identified what we believe to be the primary culprit for this behavior, and we are currently awaiting verification from our testing teams that it will resolve this issue for all affected users. Once we have this verification, we will be ready to release a fix publicly. This may happen in our next version update, or via a hotfix, depending on how soon we intend to release our next version update. Again, this will only happen once we've verified that this will successfully resolve the issue for all affected issues.
    I could look into your replacement options for you, however a replacement will not resolve this issue, as it is software-based.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    Windows 10 Home
    Art3mis
    Just got the following response (March 4) in my support ticket regarding the stuttering issues some have experienced since version 12. Hopefully this covers other things like the USB connectivity.

Thank you for your continued patience. I'm happy to provide you with an update here.
    We've identified what we believe to be the primary culprit for this behavior, and we are currently awaiting verification from our testing teams that it will resolve this issue for all affected users. Once we have this verification, we will be ready to release a fix publicly. This may happen in our next version update, or via a hotfix, depending on how soon we intend to release our next version update. Again, this will only happen once we've verified that this will successfully resolve the issue for all affected issues.
    I could look into your replacement options for you, however a replacement will not resolve this issue, as it is software-based.

wow lol the latest response i got yesterday for this was was this from a 3rd different support member btw:

Lorraine Yesterday at 08:43

Hey Andy,

I have taken a look at your log files and I do have a few suggestions that has not been offered yet. Let's have you do the following:

• Can you take off one monitor and test the Oculus software with a reduction on the graphics resources and that may help with the stuttering and jumping.
    • Are you using any programs for overclocking or optimizing your computer? Can you disable them even if just for testing purposes and try the Rift S again.

Let us know if these help in any way,

Lorraine
    Oculus Suppor

• victor.mirskyvictor.mirsky Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    morphee7 said:
    :D:'( i have now gone full circle on the support ticket for problem solving (from a different member of staff btw on my ticket) with the "lets get you on the PTC" which ive been on since a month after the release of the rift s and the "reseat both ends of your cables" guide and "cheak your windows usb power settings" guide.
    i deeply regret buying the rift s they are destroying suck a great piece of hardware wit hthere mediocre software development
    Me too, just yesterday I've spent more than 2 hours performing test after test to send all the logs possible to the Oculus support. As allways they said my problem will be fixed on a future software update. It has been 4 weeks that I can't use my Rifit S due to the infinite "Restart required" cicle. 
    Art3mis
    well ive just had a 4th person comment on my support ticket lol and to do a software repair, thing is ive just installed a RTX 2080ti today and tested it and the stuttering was awful i couldnt move my head even slowlyt without a huge stutter/jump so i uninstalled the software re installed and seemed to make it useable
    dont get me wrong the stutters/jumps are still there but not as bad but we all know now that they know that its the software just annoying it takes them that long to actually acknowledge it and actually tell us instead of blaming our equipment
    Wintermute
    morphee7 said:
    well ive just had a 4th person comment on my support ticket lol and to do a software repair, thing is ive just installed a RTX 2080ti today and tested it and the stuttering was awful i couldnt move my head even slowlyt without a huge stutter/jump so i uninstalled the software re installed and seemed to make it useable
    dont get me wrong the stutters/jumps are still there but not as bad but we all know now that they know that its the software just annoying it takes them that long to actually acknowledge it and actually tell us instead of blaming our equipment
    The stuttering issue is curious - it doesn't exist for me (with a lesser GPU than your own) and I wouldn't claim to have a particularly 'mega' PC.
    If it affected everyone it would make sense to put it down to buggy software - as it is I have no suggestion why as I cannot comment from experience.
    Hopefully a solution to your issue will be presented soon.

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 813
    Trinity
    I found that MSI afterburner caused a lot of my stuttering.  My PC is fine again after getting rid of it.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    Umpa_PC said:
    I found that MSI afterburner caused a lot of my stuttering.  My PC is fine again after getting rid of it.
    Did you have any power options in the monitoring tab - they are known to cause issues for some.
    Other than that, AB is the gold standard for GPU control.
    Trinity
    Globespy said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    Did you have any power options in the monitoring tab - they are known to cause issues for some.
    No, I just wanted to let other people know that their issues could well be Afterburner related.  I am not interested in trouble shooting it TBH.
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
  • thr33to3thr33to3 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited March 6
    Since this update, the link button works great, however, I'm no longer prompted to give file access to my PC and my quest doesn't appear as a directory in windows explorer.  Like I said, link works perfectly so clearly the quest and PC are communicating, but I would like to be able to manage files from my PC again.  Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Edit: wrong hardware forum... muh bad.. but, if anyone has a fix??  :smiley:
  • cigaremoodscigaremoods Posts: 287
    Nexus 6
    RattyUK said:
    If V15 PTC doesn't include major fixes for the Rift S, Oculus is done for, ever since V12, people with the CV1 and Rift S have been having major issues with their HMDs, all because these people wanted to experiment merging the quest with PC HMDs, force Facebook down our throats and completely ignore anything and everything people have posted over and over, saying they've fixed or cannot replicate the issue with their stations, this is ridiculous and ever since Carmak moved on from VR, the Quality of software for VR had gone down by a lot, only remains a bunch of complacent and from what it seems, untrained workers who push out broken updates and go radio silent on their community, only focusing on the Oculus Quest.

Shame on you.
    Interesting...
    • I have no major issues with my Rift S.
    • I don't seem to be having Facebook Stuffed down my throat
    • In general the quality of updates appear to be well executed
    Of course, I may just be the exception >:)

Hello,

Although my RIFT S works pretty well now. I said it before and I will always confirm that the last true stable version without too many bugs is 1.39. After that nothing truly correct was produced.

cordialy

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Intel core I9-9900K, MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio 11go, Corsair DDR4 16go, SSD Samsung NVMe M.2 500go, SSD Samsung 2To 860 QVO,
    Trinity
    edited March 7
    Mine is OK too, but I fully sympathise with everyone having problems, Provided the their computers are working OK and not overclocked.  This is nothing more than a toy, and its a shame 'O' keep  buggering it up.
    Wintermute
    edited March 7
    RattyUK said:
    If V15 PTC doesn't include major fixes for the Rift S, Oculus is done for, ever since V12, people with the CV1 and Rift S have been having major issues with their HMDs, all because these people wanted to experiment merging the quest with PC HMDs, force Facebook down our throats and completely ignore anything and everything people have posted over and over, saying they've fixed or cannot replicate the issue with their stations, this is ridiculous and ever since Carmak moved on from VR, the Quality of software for VR had gone down by a lot, only remains a bunch of complacent and from what it seems, untrained workers who push out broken updates and go radio silent on their community, only focusing on the Oculus Quest.

Shame on you.
    Interesting...

Hello,

Although my RIFT S works pretty well now. I said it before and I will always confirm that the last true stable version without too many bugs is 1.39. After that nothing truly correct was produced.

cordialy

If this is your opinion, I will naturally not debate the issue as, in your opinion you are unable to be incorrect.
    I made the point, from my perspective that I have had no issues...
    We are both absolutely correct, of course :)

Rift S
    RattyUK said:
    RattyUK said:

Shame on you.
    Interesting...

Hello,

cordialy

If this is your opinion, I will naturally not debate the issue as, in your opinion you are unable to be incorrect.
    I made the point, from my perspective that I have had no issues...
    We are both absolutely correct, of course :)

Zero issues on my end with my Rift S as well.
    Don

• GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    edited March 8
    Umpa_PC said:
    Globespy said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    No, I just wanted to let other people know that their issues could well be Afterburner related.  I am not interested in trouble shooting it TBH.
    That's pretty unfair on AB, when for 99% of users it works perfectly well and provides better performance out of their GPU in terms of heat (fan curves) and clock speeds (OC tool).
    I'm also guessing you just installed the entire AB package which installs RTSS by default, and that can cause far more issues in certain games than just AB program as many anti-cheat software pick up RTSS incorrectly.

Since you seem to just want to place all the blame on a trusted program by millions that you clearly don't understand instead of even trying to do a tiny bit of troubleshooting, it's important that other users realize that it's probably a 'you' problem and not AB.
    Art3mis
    this is so annoying because it is so hit and miss, i now have a 2080ti installed with a R2700x and there all at stock clock speeds with no oc software and the stuttering still comes and goes even on the home on my rift s ive all but given up now