cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Sound not working

Awesome_Aardvar
Sightseer
Hi, no sound is coming through my Rift Headset at all, but it does have headphones built in. For some reason when I open the Oculus App on my PC, go to Devices, then Rift and scroll down to turn the volume up it won't even let me alter the sound at all. It's stuck on mute. Thanks, Ethan
12 REPLIES 12

BasementDoc
Honored Guest

CheckS6x said:

I got my Rift-S yesterday and encountered the same problem. No audio. All the setup was good, troubleshooted as directed by the Oculus Help and still no sound. Occasionally I would end up in an infinite loop telling me to restart the Oculus software, other times I'd tell me that one of the cables was not connected when it was. At the end I disconnected and reconnected the cable into the headset a few times and the audio would work.....for a few minutes. Eventually it worked the whole evening yesterday but when I booted up the PC this morning, same problem, no audio. The disconnect-reconnect procedure on the cable connector would work a few minutes then I'd lose audio even thought I'd get all green lights in the Device section. Today I'm returning the unit and hope that the replacement unit won't be defective.

Exact same issue - seems to be a hardware or software issue in the Rift S (two brand new units have the exact same symptoms you describe with two different new computers), so wouldn't count on a replacement fixing it.  No solution/response/support from Oculus - thanks for the $400 mute hardware oculus.  Original HTC Vive worked consistently for >year without these major issues (also have bug that blocks install of new software).  Will check into returning for another headset that works (maybe HTC, Valve Index or other?).

Awesome_Aardvar
Sightseer

Hi
all

So I
think that I have found a solution for this issue. What I did was type in
"control Panel" and then where it says view by category,
click and set it to small icons. Then click sounds, this should open a page
where you can set you default play back device.

Hope this helps, if this does not work then please do say and I will continue
searching.

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

A similar thing happened to me a while ago.  I think I went into windows system sound menu and did not see it there so I just ran the troubleshoot and it seemed to fix things.  Only other thing to maybe try is to move your headset usb to a different one.

Simple but worked for me too after spending an hour with more "advanced" fixes!!  Thanks