It´s Out of Stock

Baum9846
Honored Guest
It´s out of stock will it be back if so when
88 REPLIES 88

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Quest can do the job of a Rift S now

Hmmm, my Spider-Sense just tingled and suddenly I get the feeling that Rift-S days are numbered  :#  😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been watching the news lately?
Demand is high and I suspect the Coronavirus is having an affect on shipments getting to retailers.

Globespy
Expert Protege
I have both the Quest and the Rift S, plus a CV1.

IMO the Quest is an experiment to what will be a unified HMD that can do both standalone and PC based games.
Right now the display on the Quest is inferior to the Rift S despite the higher resolution - using the same pentile OLED display as the CV1, the SDE is VERY noticeable.
The Rift S on the other hand has significantly better SDE and everything is much sharper.

The 80hz refresh rate on the Rift S is about the minimum, 72Hz on the Quest is too low for fast paced titles - again, I have used them both side by side.

The Rift S has more cameras and has better inside out tracking than the Quest.

I think both HMD's days are numbered, we will see Oculus move to one HMD in the next generation, incorporating the best of both HMD's.

Right now, the Quest is the choice if you know you will play a lot of standalone titles and maybe some PC based ones.
If your focus is purely on PC based titles, the Rift S is the superior device of the two.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Globespy said:

I have both the Quest and the Rift S, plus a CV1.

IMO the Quest is an experiment to what will be a unified HMD that can do both standalone and PC based games.
Right now the display on the Quest is inferior to the Rift S despite the higher resolution - using the same pentile OLED display as the CV1, the SDE is VERY noticeable.
The Rift S on the other hand has significantly better SDE and everything is much sharper.

The 80hz refresh rate on the Rift S is about the minimum, 72Hz on the Quest is too low for fast paced titles - again, I have used them both side by side.

The Rift S has more cameras and has better inside out tracking than the Quest.

I think both HMD's days are numbered, we will see Oculus move to one HMD in the next generation, incorporating the best of both HMD's.

Right now, the Quest is the choice if you know you will play a lot of standalone titles and maybe some PC based ones.
If your focus is purely on PC based titles, the Rift S is the superior device of the two.

I have both as well and would definitely agree.

Grifynne
Honored Guest
I'm wondering the same thing. All retailers linked on the Oculus website are out of stock. My husband and I were even at Best Buy a week or so ago and they suggested placing an order for one to be delivered to the store. The employee tried to submit an order for us, then said he couldn't because they were completely out of stock (even other stores).

Has there been any official word from Oculus? I realize that they may not be able to give a solid date, but maybe a general timeframe (are we talking days, weeks, months, longer)?

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
No official timeframe as of now that I'm aware of. I know Valve got hit with serious covid-19 virus-induced delays as a lot of parts for Valve Index come from China. This is just a guess, but I'm wondering if Oculus is experiencing the same issue.

If I were to hazard a guess, based on historical data with other manufacturers and announcements made after the Christmas rush, I'd say a solid 3 months to get the stock replenished. I was expecting the new batch to be replenished by about end of February, or no later than the second week of March. But with a threat of covid-19's effects on manufacturing on the horizon, an additional month wouldn't be unreasonable.

I'm not affiliated with the company, btw. I'm just someone who is following industry news, and this is merely my opinion.

InfantThrowerX
Honored Guest
Thanks everyone on the advice. I wanted the S because I have a powerful computer to run it and it is cheaper. Seems a waste to not use the PC after all the time spent building it. I managed to get one practically new from a guy who didn't have a PC capable of running it. Its been great so far, no complaints.

No shipping date, no option to buy at all on the Oculus website all morning.

il0j4cl08h0d.jpg
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Two things.
Higher than expected demand - which they expressed shortly after they added in the Oculus Link capability to the Quest along with holiday sales.
Coronavirus - affecting shipments from China.
Rift S now hard to get as well.

dburne said:

Two things.
Higher than expected demand - which they expressed shortly after they added in the Oculus Link capability to the Quest along with holiday sales.
Coronavirus - affecting shipments from China.
Rift S now hard to get as well.

Or... Quest 2 coming     B)

High demand, not enough output usually means a "will be shipped in 6 weeks" message.

One can only hope   🙂
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3