cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift Build 14.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of February 24, 2020.

Oculus Link

• The Quest microphone has been re-enabled for use with Link.
  • A dedicated Oculus Link button has been added to the Oculus Quest menu bar to make jumping into Link quicker and easier. Similarly, a button was added to the Dash belt that allows you to quickly exit Link when using it.
  • Link audio and microphone volume controls have been added to Dash and the Oculus desktop app.
  • Moving forward, Oculus Link no longer requires that the Quest software and the PC software have matching version numbers. However, the two software versions must be within one version of the other. For example, Link will function when the Quest is on software version 14 and the PC is software version 15 or the PC software is version 14 and the Quest software is version 13. It will not work if Quest is on version 13 and PC is on version 15 or vice versa.

Miscellaneous

• Fixed a bug that prevented Oculus Link from working when the resolution had been adjusted with the Oculus Debug Tool.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Oculus Link from launching when the Link cable was disconnected and reconnected after ending a previous Link session.
  • Additional bug fixes and stability improvements
123 REPLIES 123

morphee7
Expert Protege
well yesterday i was using my rift s and it turned it into a samsung gear were it wouldnt track my movements forward or bacwards and was slowly drifting my view to the right and having to recentre my virew, not a good thing when your trying to do a 90 minute race at night at hungaroring (probably spelt wrong)

huliqan
Adventurer

cercata said:

huliqan said:

What is the update arrived? today now???

Wow, Oculus has predictive forums, someone from the staff answered your question before you asked it ... Minority Report is comming.

What he said? What he answered ?
I don't understand what kind of forum are we talking about?

Globespy
Expert Protege

Umpa_PC said:

Globespy said:

Umpa_PC said:

Globespy said:

Umpa_PC said:

I found that MSI afterburner caused a lot of my stuttering.  My PC is fine again after getting rid of it.

Did you have any power options in the monitoring tab - they are known to cause issues for some.
Other than that, AB is the gold standard for GPU control.

No, I just wanted to let other people know that their issues could well be Afterburner related.  I am not interested in trouble shooting it TBH.

That's pretty unfair on AB, when for 99% of users it works perfectly well and provides better performance out of their GPU in terms of heat (fan curves) and clock speeds (OC tool).
I'm also guessing you just installed the entire AB package which installs RTSS by default, and that can cause far more issues in certain games than just AB program as many anti-cheat software pick up RTSS incorrectly.

Since you seem to just want to place all the blame on a trusted program by millions that you clearly don't understand instead of even trying to do a tiny bit of troubleshooting, it's important that other users realize that it's probably a 'you' problem and not AB.

Well given that it is very easy to disable AB to check - only an idiot would dismiss it out of hand !  Its also a fact that AB not set up correctly can also slow the system down on certain games.  Given some of the posts on here (including yours) the advice I have given is sound - its just a shame some people are too stupid to see it.
Also the 99% you quoted that have no problems - no doubt an arbitrary figure plucked out of thin air - would not need to do anything anyway. More drivel from you. Proves high post accounts mean nothing on here.

You gave advice? 
Remove AB without any troubleshooting and then use what to manage their GPU?

PS - there's not need to get defensive and start throwing around insults when all I did was point out that your advice for everyone to remove Afterburner without even bothering to troubleshoot beyond turning it off/uninstalling it, might not be a panacea.
The biggest problem with forums is that people are so butt hurt about other people's  opinions that the opportunity to find solutions is lost.

Have  nice day.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Hey folks - quick heads up that you may see a small update today or tomorrow, but you shouldn't see any noticeable changes. Just a behind-the-scenes bug fix and an updated software certificate. This same update rolled out to the v14 PTC yesterday.

Got 14.1 today, seems to work fine.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Richooal
Consultant

Globespy said:
Remove AB without any troubleshooting and then use what to manage their GPU?

GPU's work fine by themselves. No Afterburner, or other third party apps are required.

Some people just have to fiddle with stuff and that's okay, but the more you add, the more you fiddle, the more things that can contribute to your problems.

"Clean, Lean Machine" is the way to go.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Netheri
Rising Star

Hey folks - quick heads up that you may see a small update today or tomorrow, but you shouldn't see any noticeable changes. Just a behind-the-scenes bug fix and an updated software certificate. This same update rolled out to the v14 PTC yesterday.

I see they updated the sound drivers certificate from Windows labs for Oculus, after first claiming i have corrupted Windows 10 install, corrupted User Account (Windows tech support confirmed there isn't anything wrong and i also sent the proof to Oculus support, after they wouldn't tell me, which files are corrupt while Oculus software is totally flawless in it's runtime 😄 ) and also have something wrong with Directx, in which the only trouble was the non-certified Oculus sound driver which i pointed out to the "not so supportive"-customer support. Can't say nothing more for this but LOL.

Edit: nevermind, there's  OCULUS119B.sys still doesn't have digitally signed whql certificate based on DiretctX diagnostics.  Well at least the Oculus virtual device is now certified 😄
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

morphee7
Expert Protege
well from my ongoing support ticket with the 6th different operative to comment on it (i wonder what the record is for how many support operatives can be on one ticket) now want me to return it and send a new rift s but i have to be patient as they have a system issue 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems like no matter how many updates or news we see from the Oculus devs/support giving up hope they can never truly fix the horrendous stuttering issue ever since V12.0. HL Alyx release is imminent. How have they not solved this stutter issue yet, I recently updated to a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RTX 2080 and I STILL get the stutters, how is this even possible on such a powerful machine?. I have the CV1 and a Inateck USB 3.0 card. There is no bottlenecks on my machine, GPU and CPU never max out and I can clearly see the performance headroom randomly dip below 0% at times when something loads in or when I shoot a gun. And this is when I have 60% of performance headroom so why is it spiking below 0% for? This Is what we often refer to in PC gaming as "Micro-stutter". Its when a frame is dropped or when the frametime spikes and causes a delay in the perceived frame and it creates a hitching effect, its even more amplified in VR because the display is always on our face within our view. I have barely touched my Rift since update V12.0, I mean if your goal was to push me away from playing more VR and buying less games, then you succeeded I guess. Oculus I really am trying my best to stay patient and be a good customer because I love VR and want it to grow, but you have really let down your customers. V12.0 should have had many more months of testing before it was released. 

Richooal
Consultant

I mean if your goal was to push me away from playing more VR and buying less games, then you succeeded I guess. Oculus I really am trying my best to stay patient and be a good customer because I love VR and want it to grow, but you have really let down your customers. V12.0 should have had many more months of testing before it was released. 

Sadly, I have to agree with you.
All the people who joined the Oculus company to create great VR hardware and software have now moved on.
The team that works for them now is purely focused on VR as only a tool for "social media". For that end use it doesn't need to be cutting edge, it only needs to be good enough for the selfie takers to be wowed by it.
You can see that all the updates are about Facebook Social Media and no problems are being addressed.

VR hardware will not be pushed to it's limits by this company, it's goals lie elsewhere.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Got the latest v14.1 today.  Same bugs with my Rift cv1 as I reported with V13 (sent logfiles) and v14.  What a surprise, lol!  Since these bugs, like I can no longer properly shutdown X Plane 11, I have now shifted ALL my flight/racing sims, Google Earth VR, and most SteamVR apps over to my Vive Pro.  Actually, these all look a bit better to me with my Vive Pro than my Rift cv1 anyway, even with 2x SS.

Fortunately my Rift cv1 continues to play all my Oculus Store games fine and with 2x SS they all still look very nice.  Also, thanks to the Vive Pro link box on/off swithch and OTT switching options it's very easy to go between each headset (without removing any cables btw).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers