New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Huge performance issues playing games in SteamVR with Oculus Rift S, please help!

tatuntstatunts Posts: 21
Brain Burst
edited March 26 in Support

Hello everyone. I’m writing this since I have done everything I could to solve this problem, it has been more than a month now, no luck.

I’m having massive problems running SteamVR with my Oculus Rift S as well as many friends: Frame drops, stuttering, FPS cut by half and image ghosting (time warp/motion smoothing).

The puzzling part is that my computer resources are never maxed out, usually about 50% of usage on both CPU and GPU. Here are my PC specs:

This problem should not happen at all, especially with a RTX 2080ti, I believe.

Here’s a few images of me showing the exact moment it happens playing Pavlov (not a very intensive game): FPS drops, motion smoothing kicks in, time frames graphs goes to the roof and still all resources seems to be available for the game rendering, very strange!

Here’s an image of the FPS count:

Can someone here please help me out? This could assist many people that I know as well.

Please let me know if more information is needed.

AS A SIDE NOTE: these performance issues also happens when playing at "ground level", randomly and less intensive than the videos shown.
Please let me know if more information is needed.

FULL REDDIT POST: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/fgxe8k/huge_performance_issues_playing_games_in_steamvr/ 

Thank you very much!

Tagged:

Comments

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    There have been LOTS of people reporting this same kind of problem. My SteamVR behaves exactly as yours does with the same kind of headroom. My 2080 never gets above 30% but its dropping 20,000 frames. I have had a support ticket open on this for about 2.5 months and I just recently got a response that they believe they have a fix and are testing it now. He said it will come out in the next driver update or possibly through a hotfix before then. I honestly do not believe there is anything you can do in the meantime to get this work. I have tried everything imaginable and wasted money as well. The tech also stated there is no sense replacing the headset because the problem is the software (their driver/firmware.)
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • tatuntstatunts Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for your reply Adam. Does the rest of your HW specs looks like mine? Like an old CPU or DDR3 memory? I really think there is something going on with Oculus since time warps kicks in when there's a lot of objects rendered at the moment.
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    tatunts said:
    Thanks for your reply Adam. Does the rest of your HW specs looks like mine? Like an old CPU or DDR3 memory? I really think there is something going on with Oculus since time warps kicks in when there's a lot of objects rendered at the moment.
    Same CPU, i7 but DDR4 memory.  I have the benefit of having had my Rift S since close to launch so I know that my hardware had no problems running it for many months until version 12 killed it. I always knew it was the software but it took a lot of back and forth and testing and logs to convince tech support.

I obviously cannot speak from any position of authority but based on my personal testing and review of so many Oculus suggestions to users, I've convinced myself that this has nothing to do with CPU, memory, or even the video card. This is a problem with the mobo's handling of USB even when using additional internal USB cards or external USB hubs. 
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • AddFormAddForm Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Yes I have had this problem to. It started after the v14 update. I have tried Open Composite for Boneworks with better framerate but the controls don't work. 
    Brain Burst
    Yep, I totally agree AddForm. My results were 10x better in the beginning, when I had first bought my Rift S past November. I think it was version 12. Now everything went downhill, massive reprojection with CPU at 40%, RAM at 50% and GPU at 35%, that doesn't make any sense at all.
  • sean.doyle.5494sean.doyle.5494 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    For pavlov I found a fix!!!!! Go to create game, pick map, unsubscribe to maps you dont play, stuttering gone!!! Freaking awesome!!!
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 15
    Besides this problem, have you noticed slight stuttering in Oculus Touch movements in steamVR Home/applications ? My Odyssey+ didn't behave like that... It was as smooth as my old Vive controllers.
    Oculus Quest - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i7 8700 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - Crucial MX300 500Go + 1To - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
    Brain Burst
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Besides this problem, have you noticed slight wobbles in Oculus Touch movements in steamVR Home/applications ? My Odyssey+ didn't behave like that... It was as smooth as my old Vive controllers.
    Yep, that wobble effect is called reprojection, Oculus and SteamVR has different techniques but the idea is the same: maintain 80hz on headset movement but lower frame rates on objects (hands as well) to avoid nausea. This implies on adding filters between frames to show a smoother image.
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    tatunts said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Besides this problem, have you noticed slight wobbles in Oculus Touch movements in steamVR Home/applications ? My Odyssey+ didn't behave like that... It was as smooth as my old Vive controllers.
    Yep, that wobble effect is called reprojection, Oculus and SteamVR has different techniques but the idea is the same: maintain 80hz on headset movement but lower frame rates on objects (hands as well) to avoid nausea. This implies on adding filters between frames to show a smoother image.

It's not reprojection in my case. It's stuttering at 80 fps ! Some titles like Obduction need reprojection and I can't see any stuttering. Just smooth movement with some distortions.
    Oculus Quest - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i7 8700 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - Crucial MX300 500Go + 1To - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • katpraterkatprater Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same exact problem I am having ever since v14. This update has taken a major dump on steamvr games. Tested the same exact game through oculus no problems, but when launching steamvr, absolutely unplayable.
    Brain Burst
    katprater said:
    Same exact problem I am having ever since v14. This update has taken a major dump on steamvr games. Tested the same exact game through oculus no problems, but when launching steamvr, absolutely unplayable.
    Yes... This is terrible, unplayable, massive reprojection with plenty of headroom. Sounds like Oculus/Facebook is doing something to keep us away from SteamVR and stay at Oculus Store...
  • SRSBZNZSRSBZNZ Posts: 12
    Brain Burst
    tatunts said:
    katprater said:
    Yes... This is terrible, unplayable, massive reprojection with plenty of headroom. Sounds like Oculus/Facebook is doing something to keep us away from SteamVR and stay at Oculus Store...
    I've had the same feeling. Any game I play through SteamVR or Viveport has horrible performance issues recently. Oculus support isn't helpful when I submit a ticket and everything seems to be ignored with Rift S. 
    Brain Burst
    Yes. Too bad I still cannot post videos and links here. I've created a comprehensive Reddit post (you can find by searching "Huge performance issues playing games with Oculus Rift S, please help!") with all videos proving this system resources "virtual cap" thing. Very odd.
  • RobR19RobR19 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My performance issues are directly tied to using Rift S Headphones.  Switching to any other audio source resolved the problem.
    Brain Burst
    RobR19 said:
    My performance issues are directly tied to using Rift S Headphones.  Switching to any other audio source resolved the problem.
    Hello! This is new for me: do you use external headphones connected to the 3.5mm plug or the built-in one? Thanks. 
  • LokertrLokertr Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I have been on VR hiatus a bit. They still have not fixed this? I was noticing it in HL Alyx.
    Brain Burst
    Hello everyone!

I've manage to do a "small" upgrade on my rig. Changed my mobo, CPU and RAM to a Ryzen 9 3900x, X570 TUF gaming and 32GB of DDR4 3600mhz memory.

Sadly the improvments were below as my expectaions. I've noticed about 30% better performance overall, here are some benchmark results:

VR benchmark:

So this really makes me believe that those problems are not hardware related but optimization on both sides of Oculus and SteamVR.

So.... Still no solution for this huge jar of pickles.

Thanks