cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE !!!!!!!!

liteglow
Explorer
Hi

I use my oculus Rifts S 1 or 2 times a month.
And every DA##N F#¤%& time I want to use them  there is an  UPDATE  !!! again !!!
And what is NEW ?? NOTHING !!

I got like 20 minutes after kids are in bed, and I want to sit down and enjoy my Oculus.

oh wait... there is an update... remove the rift from head, wait for the update, wait for the restart, reboot..

Put the oculus back in again... CANT FIND CONTROLLER (AGAIN) !! and this happen every  "#%& time I update !!  (and the update is every "#%& time I want to use my oculus) 

And after I spent 10 minutes to try to reconnect my controllers, I need new batteries  (AGAIN) .. do a new pair session for about 10 more minutes.
After that is done, my Play Grid is GONE, and I need to set floor level, grid area, and THEN... finally ...

I got no more time left to play..

Sleep... eat... and repeat this same sh"#%¤  next time.. AGAIN..

And I cant figure out how to TURN OFF the updates !! 

Guess I go back to VIVE ... that just worked... and worked... 

15 REPLIES 15

RattyUK
Trustee
Enjoy your Vive...
... In the meantime I'll enjoy the rift S with the occasional update and no issues with controllers etc.  Guess you got one of the very few bad ones... 
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

jab
Rising Star
Ratty. Unless you actually have a Vive to compare with, you don't know how much more stable and mature the StreamVR environment is on average. Using Vive/SteamVR for close to 4 years I have never ever had an update break the system. Oculus on the other hand is a very difference story..

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I've been using my CV1 for nearly 3 years. Although I greatly dislike the forced updates, I've never really experienced any (severe) problems. 

Same for SteamVR. 

Do remember to inform Oculus Support of your problems so they become aware of the issues. 

You cannot turn off the updates, but you can delay them. When an Oculus Update has started to download, you can start patching a game - but the Update will still continue to download. But restarting the rig the game should now take priority while the Oculus Update is being put on hold. It only lasts until the game (or more games) are patched. Or you can deactivate the internet connection - for some time. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RattyUK
Trustee

jab said:

Ratty. Unless you actually have a Vive to compare with, you don't know how much more stable and mature the StreamVR environment is on average. Using Vive/SteamVR for close to 4 years I have never ever had an update break the system. Oculus on the other hand is a very difference story..

Hmmm...
If the Oculus updates broke the same things for every user the firmware / software could be honestly held at fault.
As the variety of issues brought up in various topics have never affected  me (bar multiple right controllers - which was not actually a deal-breaker), or by reading the topics here for the last 2 years, others, I cannot criticise the firmware / software as it hasn't presented any issues...
I have had previous incarnations of the steamVR software cause issues - but to their credit, patches are normally very quick to appear.
It really is a bit like having hiccups and coming to the forum and declaring that everyone has them too 🙂

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I’ve never had any issues with the Oculus software either. I see the complaints, so it obviously does affect some users, but I’ve never had any update that kept me from playing. 

I see the same thing in game forums where users have issues, and I’m never affected. I personally always build my own PC’s and I stay away from AMD products. After years of gaming, AMD just seems to have more issues. PC’s that are prebuilt are probably the worst offenders. Build your own PC with quality parts, and I believe more people would have better experiences. I also use ASUS motherboards and Gskill memory, and I’m never the guy posting about how I can’t play a game.

liteglow
Explorer
Ok.. To be fair.

It was late, I was in a hurry, and it DID happen again !! 
But yes I really love VR and I love my Rift S (this is the third generation I got from Oculus) .

I can compare with vive, and this is never a problem with vive.

It should not be a problem with Oculus either, but it is (for me anyway) 
And it` s very annying when it happen, I have to reconfigure both LEFT and RIGHT controller.
I have to assign Grid space all over again, and Level the floor.

And the part I  hate most is that there is no different from before the update.
I would really like to enjoy my product offline\Online without someone forcing me to do a update.
I like them very much as they are  working right now, so dont mess with something that work... right? 

thank yo for your time.. .just had to let it out 😉

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Maxxgold said:

I’ve never had any issues with the Oculus software either. I see the complaints, so it obviously does affect some users, but I’ve never had any update that kept me from playing. 

I see the same thing in game forums where users have issues, and I’m never affected. I personally always build my own PC’s and I stay away from AMD products. After years of gaming, AMD just seems to have more issues. PC’s that are prebuilt are probably the worst offenders. Build your own PC with quality parts, and I believe more people would have better experiences. I also use ASUS motherboards and Gskill memory, and I’m never the guy posting about how I can’t play a game.

Exactly, I've used Asus mainboards for years, Intel processors and Nvidia video cards - better safe than sorry

I did do something really wild and dangerous  :# when building my small-size rig, because I got a MSI mainboard instead of Asus, but that was because MSI made the most silent air-cooled GTX 1080 video card of them all, namely the MSI Gaming X 8GB. So didn't get Asus this time - but can't argue with these results, lol:

I usually do not mix mainboard and video card producers - because then I'm very sure that compatibility has been ultra-thoroughly tested. So MSI mainboard goes with MSI video card - can't play it much more safe. Got some Corsair PC3200 Vengeance 2 x 8GB ram (always similar modules for best compatibility), and the mainboard was tested to be VR ready (at that time only Vive and CV1 were available) - never had any compatibility issues including the Index. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

cmaffia2019
Protege
To the OP.  Sounds like you should leave your family and get a part time job to fix your "issues".

liteglow
Explorer
Happen again... and again..
Playing ALYX, and this crap happen again.

I`m so fu¤¤¤g tired of this sh¤t ..

And the menu freeze, so there is no head movement, menu is following the head.