cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift Build 14.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of February 24, 2020.

Oculus Link

• The Quest microphone has been re-enabled for use with Link.
  • A dedicated Oculus Link button has been added to the Oculus Quest menu bar to make jumping into Link quicker and easier. Similarly, a button was added to the Dash belt that allows you to quickly exit Link when using it.
  • Link audio and microphone volume controls have been added to Dash and the Oculus desktop app.
  • Moving forward, Oculus Link no longer requires that the Quest software and the PC software have matching version numbers. However, the two software versions must be within one version of the other. For example, Link will function when the Quest is on software version 14 and the PC is software version 15 or the PC software is version 14 and the Quest software is version 13. It will not work if Quest is on version 13 and PC is on version 15 or vice versa.

Miscellaneous

• Fixed a bug that prevented Oculus Link from working when the resolution had been adjusted with the Oculus Debug Tool.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Oculus Link from launching when the Link cable was disconnected and reconnected after ending a previous Link session.
  • Additional bug fixes and stability improvements
123 REPLIES 123

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same as last two posters. The last version that worked for me was pre 12. I havent been able to use my rift for the last three months. I even get the stuttering in Oculus Home. Tried version 14 and PTC 15 with zero improvement.  

cigaremoods
Heroic Explorer

Richooal said:

I mean if your goal was to push me away from playing more VR and buying less games, then you succeeded I guess. Oculus I really am trying my best to stay patient and be a good customer because I love VR and want it to grow, but you have really let down your customers. V12.0 should have had many more months of testing before it was released. 

Sadly, I have to agree with you.
All the people who joined the Oculus company to create great VR hardware and software have now moved on.
The team that works for them now is purely focused on VR as only a tool for "social media". For that end use it doesn't need to be cutting edge, it only needs to be good enough for the selfie takers to be wowed by it.
You can see that all the updates are about Facebook Social Media and no problems are being addressed.

VR hardware will not be pushed to it's limits by this company, it's goals lie elsewhere.

Hello,

unfortunately I agree with your analysis. I think the objective now is to collect a maximum of private information on users without any qualms or ethics. the goal being to resell this information to anyone who pays the price without worrying about what these buyers will do with it.

MSI Z790 ACE, MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM X, I7 14700K, Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 32 go, 2 x Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 2 To

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I bought VR for the here and now.  I bought it because I can now afford it, and thats thanks to Oculus (as it is now) as its no longer only for the rich.  So even if no more games ever get developed for it, there are plenty already out there to justify the purchase.  Its not like Oculus is the only provider of hardware, its good that there is a headset that caters for everyones most peoples pocket.

Now I am a consumer that seems to be largely immune to Oculus' software update problems, All my computers are pre-built VR ready gaming rigs, so perhaps thats why I have very few issues?

I do feel for the VR enthusiast who spends many hundreds or even thousands on a top of the line, self built machine only to have it perform like a VR ZX Spectrum after a forced update.   To these people I say vote with your feet, sell your Oculus HMD and buy from another vender.   I don't think Facebook are listening or even care that much TBH.  IMO the only service they offer is to GCHQ and the NSA.  I still bought them knowing that too - lol
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

MasterLongNut00
Honored Guest
I get stuck while I walk forward, when I use Smooth Locomotion on my Rift S it happens in any app. The newer updates seem to be the reason. 

morphee7
Expert Protege
ok just got the reply from my ticket saying they want me to return it and send a replacement, one question... last time i looked you couldnt get a new rifts for love nor money so how am i going to get a replacement if they have none to sell?

Anonymous
Not applicable

morphee7 said:

ok just got the reply from my ticket saying they want me to return it and send a replacement, one question... last time i looked you couldnt get a new rifts for love nor money so how am i going to get a replacement if they have none to sell?

Maybe they have customer support inventory.

morphee7
Expert Protege
well heres hoping but the way coronas coming in the uk we will be locked down like italy and now spain so no warehouse guna ne operational

Aesthetiker
Explorer
.Richooal said:

I mean if your goal was to push me away from playing more VR and buying less games, then you succeeded I guess. Oculus I really am trying my best to stay patient and be a good customer because I love VR and want it to grow, but you have really let down your customers. V12.0 should have had many more months of testing before it was released. 

Sadly, I have to agree with you.
All the people who joined the Oculus company to create great VR hardware and software have now moved on.
The team that works for them now is purely focused on VR as only a tool for "social media". For that end use it doesn't need to be cutting edge, it only needs to be good enough for the selfie takers to be wowed by it.
You can see that all the updates are about Facebook Social Media and no problems are being addressed.

VR hardware will not be pushed to it's limits by this company, it's goals lie elsewhere.

After reading this i clearly assume for myself that i will change headset to the Valve Index later this year... Those kind of news im very concerned about, cause developer are the heart of this here... Without ambitious developer we can make other things than posting Problems/Bugs in this forum just for Pete's Sake... 

i have to laugh so hard when thinking of a Oculus developer working on social-media-useless-shit-stuff and then the developer at steam working on Half Life Alyx.... 😄 😄 😄 

As James Blunt said:
Goodbye my lover
Goodbye my friend
You have been the one
You have been the one for me
I am a dreamer but when I wake
You can't break my spirit

sry for this useless post, knewing that this sort of posts wont make anything better, but posting my problems wont change anything either

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@Aesthetiker Hang in there mate, hopefully things will improve in the near future.  The VR grass is not always greener elsewhere imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I guess Stormland and Asgard's wrath was all geared toward FB social media...
Uh huh.
I guess implementing Oculus Link with Quest to be able to connect to PC for better gaming experience with the Quest, was all geared toward Social Media/FB.
Uh huh...