New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,640 Valuable Player
    edited March 5
    RuneSR2 said:

Better than Boneworks, when Boneworks textures are best?
    Unsure; haven't tried Boneworks yet
    The game's highly recommended - I consider it the only true Index game available. You can get 2 hours for free and then refund if you don't like it - but check your hands in Boneworks and maybe a teddy bear, textures are the most photorealistic I've seen. Using Index res 200%, 2xMSAA - in solid 90 fps with only a GTX 1080. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited March 5
    Finally got to try the new homes - it was a great experience. Although you can just teleport around like in other SteamVR homes, you really felt like being in City 17. Sound effects are amazing - choppers or whatever are flying high above you, and you can hear something is going on, but you can't go there. Felt like a nice afternoon in City 17. Not sure textures are better than Boneworks, not sure they are worse either, probably much the same - but while there are few great textures in Boneworks, the new Alyx homes have great textures in spades. I think I liked the labels on the beer bottles best - but Boneworks does that too. 
    I use Index res 200% in SteamVR Home, and I got solid 90 fps in the Alyx homes - very impressive. 
    If the Alyx SteamVR homes represent the game, the difference between Alyx and Boneworks might not be textures, but it'll be the number of on-screen polys and the lighting while still keeping solid 90 fps. While Boneworks devs deactivated nearly all shadows, in the Alyx City 17 home you've got perfectly animated dynamic shadows - and I still get solid 90 fps Index res 200%. And I've got buildings and structures with poly counts way beyond anything I ever saw in Boneworks. 
    What does that all mean? Simply that the Alyx City 17 home felt real like never before (I know I wrote that when playing Transference with CV1 ss 2.0, but I swear this is different, lol). Really felt like I was truly standing there - and my first thought seeing this building was: "like hell, I'm NOT going there!"  :D  

I wonder if some might be intimidated by this level of photorealistic graphics - no, it's not a joke - but being this immersed kinda removed the feeling of being in a game, and that felt kinda terrifying. Not sure many would love to really be there in City 17, and this really felt like it. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited March 6
    A tour of the SteamVR Alyx Homes - but these really need to be experienced in VR:

edited March 9
    It's now - and the last 40 minutes - again possible to order the Index:

https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex

But 2400 seconds are a long time, in the EU delivery is now 2 months, but maybe better than 3 or 4 - or not being able to order ;-)

Ps. The Indices were sold out in seconds or a few minutes judging from Reddit feedback - after 5 minutes delivery was 7 - 9 weeks, so it was very hard to get one in stock.

edited March 9
    Delivery is now 8 to 10 weeks, increased from 7-9 the last 20 minutes, interesting if you can still place an order in 4 hours...
    According to dudes on Reddit, Indices delivery was 2 weeks when the show started today, but quickly changed to 5 weeks ;)

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,680 Valuable Player
    Lol the scalpers are going to love selling these things...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited March 10

To All Non Believers

I see you all squabbling about in the bread line desperately trying to get your filthy hands on Gabens delicious soup. Have ye no faith? Where were ye when the Lord blessed us with his vision a year ago? Was it not until he showed us the apple of alyx that you decided to take up the faith? Did you think that you could simply buy your way into the garden?? No I say!

When Gaben demands prepayment thou shall go into debt and servitude to pay up!

When Gaben shows you the gift of sight your faith shall not waver

When Gaben tells the time and place a year ago ye shall wait with baited breath

I pity thee who thinks they may buy into the Eden at the final hour and share in the spoils of the devoted

Thou have poisoned the garden with shitty availability posts, be gone I say!

Shame!

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ffyeh7/to_all_non_believers/

Fun post... ;)

edited March 15
    Another happy dude going from CV1 to Index:

Just got my index yesterday. Fedex was great because i wasn't home. I just had to leave a paper saying i won't be home with my signature and they left it where i wanted them to leave it. They were great.

The index is great in every way in my opinion. I used to have a oculus rift cv1. I also have a quest. The index controllers are so much better. Tracking wise and comfort. Just took me a while to get used to letting go of the controller.

The headset is amazing. The better FOV, the sharpness of the image, the adjustments and features, and the sound. The sound is amazing. Didn't expect it to be so good. Only thing i wonder is how it will sound with a box fan on. I wonder if i'll hear the fan more now than sound. But i'll have to see. Also the mic on the hmd is amazing. I have a really good king bee mic and xlr setup. And my friends said it sounds as good as that.

The ease of setup was great. I was a pro setting up the rift with all cameras. I could set it up fully in like 15 minutes. But the index seemed so much easier. No need to adjust base stations so much. No software telling me to turn the camera 15 degrees. Also the tracking is just so mich better than the rift. Also i like not having to use so many usb 3.0 cables. I only have to use 3. 1 for the hmd and 2 for the controllers. Also i like that it's just a power cable to the base stations. So easy not having to run cables.

Overall the headset is amazing in my opinion and was worth the money. Also 120fps is really nice. And it's really comfortable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fi5c4n/valve_index_is_amazing_in_my_opinion/

I'd say the dude is pretty much spot on for games like Boneworks, Pistol Whip and bright games like Lucky's Tale etc - and (of course) the SteamVR Alyx Homes - but not at all spot on when playing very dark (horror) games. Or games that need temporal antialiasing. Or extremely demanding games where you really need some ASW 2.0. 
    So beware of such happy reviews - many users may be too quick and not really know how to evaluate a new hmd, because you can't really judge pros and cons before you have done months of testing. 
    For example - played Defector the other day - and I'd say that game shines using CV1 ss 2.0, but looks horrible using Index. Although I can't see it in the settings, I suspect Defector has build-in temporal antialiasing (=that cannot be deactivated). That game is special, doesn't seem to respond to OTT ss. And the game is very demanding, absolutely love my ASW 2.0.   
    In short, although I can't think of a better hmd for Alyx than Index that conclusion does not expand to everything else!

Btw - also comparison to Rift-S here - published 1 day ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fhkp2g/my_experience_coming_from_the_rift_s/

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,279 Valuable Player
    deleted

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

More sad news for people living in Italy - even though some have the money and were first in line March 9, Index can no longer be delivered to Italy:

"Hi FioreBuddha,

We are writing to you about your recent Valve Index hardware order.

Our logistics partner has informed us that deliveries in Italy are suspended due to the epidemic of the COVID-19 virus and related government measures. Due to these reasons of force majeure, we are currently unable to finalize orders on Italian territory.

We apologize for the inconvenience and will work to resume deliveries of the Valve Index hardware in Italy as soon as the situation improves.

If you want to keep your order active, you don't have to do anything else. We will contact you as soon as our logistics partner gives the go-ahead for deliveries again.

If you prefer to cancel your order now or at any time before shipping, you can do so on the purchase history page of your account.

If you have any further questions, please contact Steam Support."

Translated from:

Momma Mia this is getting serious!

Too bad Valve cannot redirect a few of these unit to Australia, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    Momma Mia this is getting serious!

Too bad Valve cannot redirect a few of these unit to Australia, lol!
    Great idea - I think you should make a post on Index Reddit: "All Indices ordered to Italy - redirect them to Australia!" :D 

I think if I did that the Italian Mafia would put a hit on me, lol!

I expect Italy has a lot more to worry about than being able to get Index shipments...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 873
    Trinity
    dburne said:
    I expect Italy has a lot more to worry about than being able to get Index shipments...

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player
    I took a break from VR and all of the information sites for a few months to focus on my kids/real life and also to knock down some of my pancake backlog since I could still do that and keep up with them lol.

I did see when they upgraded the Knuckles joysticks and I was all set to grab another Index to give it another shot...but then I read about people still having drifting issues with the new ones which put me back in the wait and see mode. 

I'm planning on a 3080TI upgrade as the rumor is they are 40% faster than the 2080TI so that'll be a no brainer decision for me. Maybe if the Index supply is back at that point I'll grab one just to have it. 

I almost bought the Rift-S a dozen times since I sold my Index but I have an IPD of 69 and i'd rather have a physical IPD adjustment. 

On slight off topic Oculus note - 

I just dusted off my Quest for the first time in months yesterday as I had gotten tired of the low frame rate mine has in some games. I just ordered a link cable to see if that will breathe some life back into it. I still haven't played any new Oculus title since before Asgard's Wrath came out(no stormlands..nothing) because I didn't want to experience them with the CV1 SDE. I have quite a VR backlog now. Maybe a linked Quest will do it for me. First world problems.  :#

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,425 Valuable Player
    edited March 16
    Welcome back stranger :)

I am still on the fence for a new HMD. Just kicking my heels until something inspiring comes along. 
    edited March 16
    Hehe thanks, 

I still have my Odyssey+ also which I am going to dust off this upcoming weekend since I'm off. I see SteamVR has gone through quite a few updates, hoping WMR still works great with it. How's Re-vive these days?
    edited March 16
    Revive is up to 2.0 these days, but I'm still using 1.9.2 - used 1.9.2 mostly due to testing Stormland, but before we get those 3080 Tis Stormland is a no-go using Index (jaggies are everywhere with no temporal antialiasing - or gone with SMAA + Index res 200%, but so is great performance, I'm down to like 15-25 fps or so, sigh). 

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases

1.9.2 works fine for now - but of course 2.0 might be better in some games and apps. I use CV1 ss 2.0 for most Oculus titles, but I do use Revive for bright games like Pistol Whip and Lucky's Tale. 
    Using O+ you really should give Saints & Sinners a try - it's a must have and greatly profits from oled. All Oculus exclusives that profit from temporal antialiasing (Stormland, Asgard's Wrath, Lone Echo, probably also Defector etc) are games/apps that probably are best played using Quest Link (also due to asw 2.0) - or your old CV1 - sometimes the SDE is your friend, not the enemy - more in this thread ;)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/731652 (love those MAME pics, lol)

If you can accept 72/36 fps and fix the sound, Quest Link may be a nice solution - also for Alyx. Then again O+ might be interesting in Alyx too.

edited March 16
    Saints & Sinners? Is that the walking dead game? I'll grab that and run through it with O+.

Yea I bought the cheap 20 buck cable to start with. If it is acceptable I plan to do the Franken mod with the Vive Deluxe Audio. Right now I just have some padding on the back of it so it sits better on my head.

I play pistol whip already in the Quest and it's great there. What I was playing just a minute ago lol.

Yea I know about the SDE pros and cons I just would prefer to have the extra detail for a game that looks as nice as the ones I mentioned. SDE bugs me more than helps a lot of the times lol.
    It's this one - I'm sure you'll like it ;)

It's based on the comic books, not the TV show - so graphics are more cartoonish.  

I have good CV1 SDE days and bad ones (where I notice it everywhere), but on bad days I just use the Index o:) - Stormland is the one game where the devs did the most awesome job of using colors that expose the CV1 SDE as little as possible. Stormland using Quest Link is probably a great solution. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me Stormland pushes 20-50x the polys of Pistol Whip, lol. 

RuneSR2 said:

It's based on the comic books, not the TV show - so graphics are more cartoonish.  

I have good CV1 SDE days and bad ones (where I notice it everywhere), but on bad days I just use the Index o:) - Stormland is the one game where the devs did the most awesome job of using colors that expose the CV1 SDE as little as possible. Stormland using Quest Link is probably a great solution. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me Stormland pushes 20-50x the polys of Pistol Whip, lol. 
    Well that is good considering it is an Index (keep to subject) thread...
    ;)
    Don

RuneSR2 said:

Yea, I do miss the crispness of the screen of the Index. O+ has that blur to it that keeps it from being perfect solution. I just wish I had better controllers than the awful WMR ones.

dburne said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Well that is good considering it is an Index (keep to subject) thread...
    ;)

Yea my bad for opening the gate there. Was just sharing why I haven't re-bought one yet.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,281 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:

I play pistol whip already in the Quest and it's great there. What I was playing just a minute ago lol. 
    Same account as you used previously on the Rift? Don't think I saw you on my friends leaderboard in this game.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited March 16
    Wildt said:
    pyroth309 said:

Same account as you used previously on the Rift? Don't think I saw you on my friends leaderboard in this game.

I think so. I just started it and haven't gotten far. Don't think I've even completed a map yet, just jumping around playing around and enjoying feeling like John Wick.  :D My play time is still pretty low.

*edit* i just sped through a black magic on Normal and I see you on there so yea same account.
    edited March 16
    Fun thing, Pistol Whip is one game where I did better with the Index than the CV1, and I think the bigger fov helped - but I've not done some serious scientific experiments, might just be a coincidence  B)
    Also Pistol Whip works in solid 90 fps Index res 200% - so 3D depth and image quality are way beyond CV1 ss 2.0. 

(I think I just did it again, @dburne o:)  ;) )

Maybe the most elaborate Rift-S vs. Index review I've seen:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fklp78/indepth_first_impressions_from_a_happy_rift_s/

But again, always beware of first impressions - although some things may be experienced most clearly before you adapt. 

edited March 18
    RuneSR2 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fklp78/indepth_first_impressions_from_a_happy_rift_s/

But again, always beware of first impressions - although some things may be experienced most clearly before you adapt. 
    Ya, I think that this is a pretty poor comparison review given that he isn't comparing the Index with a Rift cv1 w/2.0 SS.  I have responded to his review accordingly and will probably take the wrath of reddit Index fanboys, lol!  Plus, like you say, 1st impressions are not always the best.

TomCgcmfc said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Ya, I think that this is a pretty poor comparison review given that he isn't comparing the Index with a Rift cv1 w/2.0 SS.  I have responded to his review accordingly and will probably take the wrath of reddit Index fanboys, lol!  Plus, like you say, 1st impressions are not always the best.

Strange, some dude just upvoted all your comments!  o:):D 

A nice 30 minutes interview with Gabe Newell about Valve - it's not just about Alyx or Index, but maybe it's more natural to post it in the Index thread: