cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT WORKING PRODUCT, DO NOT BUY

Jonniina
Explorer
I have been working MANY hours with oculus chat try to fix my rift s or oculus crashing program itself. There have been several times, when oculus program itself, cannot be restarted, freezes to still, crashes down or just keeps circulating same stupid problems around and around like now this last time. Rift s cannot connect USB, try different USB. Cannot find display port, please restart. Connecting both of those in several different ports, just do the same. Waited 3 weeks for new drivers, the same problem continues. Unistalled whole oculus program AGAIN and installed it again, the same. NOW they tell me to uninstall it in safe mode and loose all my games and saved games data. AND THIS IS THE SECOND TIME i´m fooling with this and after many hours of doing so, and loosing tenths of hours games, they say: sorry, it is the only way. (need to say here thou, the chat customer service people itself were nice people, and were doing their best to help.)

Well, i guess, there should be some kind of compensate for my many hours doing something, i am not supposed to. Gift card, partial money refund or something, but no. You just loose all, because we did hire some idiots to do the programming part here.

Quess first several hours of fooling with this s*#%t was just fine, but now when this whole sircus goes around and around again and again, there should really be something else to do than: problem is yours, we are sorry.

Also many problems occured, what i was able to fix by myself without any
help, but complete amount of hours, fighting with not working /
crashing program and product here is massive.

NOT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE OCULUS, NOT GOOD AT ALL!

33 REPLIES 33

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
To be fair unless he posts system specs, we would be guessing.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Yep, help will be limited without specs and as much detail as possible.

As I say, with this or any other thread where anyone feels unable to help, probably best to not post... or just ask for more details (as Maxx did).

This forum is usually a friendly place to post, with some very helpful souls, provided the threads aren't intentionally incendiary and then other posters don't feed into that.

Peace out.

kojack
MVP
MVP

RattyUK said:

You did check that your PC was going to be up for the job before spending your money?  Laptops in particular can be problematic...  but then, a low-spec desktop, perhaps a few years old might also present difficulties.
I've had no issues (well, none critical) with either my desktop or laptop...
Sorry you were not so fortunate.

So, if you don't have anything to say other than, "I don't have any issues" then perhaps your input is not needed?

As long as it's not done in a gloating or insulting way, the opposite is true.
Having someone say they don't have critical issues tells us a couple of things:
- The issue isn't common to everybody. There have been things that affect everyone in the past, if some people have it work then we know the problem it is either faulty VR hardware or something is conflicting with the user's system.
- If we have the system specs of people with the problem and people without the problem then we can start looking for patterns.
Ratty's signature has his system specs. So we at least know one combination of components that are working.

Jonniina said:

and eight different high speed usb 3.0 ports.

I'm guessing this was just a coincidence or mistake, but if you really have "high speed" usb ports then that could be an issue.
High speed is the name for USB 2.0.
USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 is called Super speed.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RattyUK
Trustee

kojack said:

looking for patterns.
Ratty's signature has his system specs. So we at least know one combination of components that are working.

Actually 2 if you allow the laptop specs 🙂
Laptops raise enough threads in this forum as being  "VR Ready" doesn't mean "Oculus Ready" because of the demands of both the original rift (USB current / bandwidth) and the S being DP only.
Even desktops can be challenging, Asmedia USB controller support has been either non-existent (Original Rift software) to "Maybe" with the Rift S - even stranger is that my last PC Motherboard had Asmedia USB 'C' which worked after one update but not another, and the Asmedia USB 'C' on my laptop never has.
Some folk may resent my posting "mine works" but at least my specs are visible (particularly as one theory was AMD Chipset / Processor incompatibility) for comparison.
Having an expensive 'toy' not working is frustrating, particularly when it works for others, but with system specs given at least any combination of parts that really just 'don't work' could assist the developers in getting compatibility issues minimised.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

jab
Rising Star
A better question is "why is there still a USB compatibility problem?"
Considering this was/is one of the most common problems with CV1, you would think they would have fixed it by now.

I think it can be, at least partially, attributed to the variety of USB types, manufacturers and drivers out there, plus the variety of Windows settings related to USB including power, sometimes even power delivery on a more basic level such as demand on the hub or even issues with the PSU itself, cable, plug or socket related issues, at the PC end or the headset end... well, lots of factors. Plus the OP was having DP connection issues so other things may be going on.

But again, common can mean different things to different people. If there are 3 million Rifts out there (just a wild guess) and for arguments sake 1% have a problem, that could be considered common by some people and it would definitely be enough to generate a lot of posts on the forum. As it is, USB related posts are common compared with some other problems but that in itself doesn't determine how common overall... or get us any closer to determining the route cause of the OP's problem.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Its always something to bare in mind that when I get display port problems,I simply unplug the USB and put it back in.  I never remove the DP.  I now use an active DP extension, but I still get the display port error [if] I start the computer with the rift s connected.  I have 100% success if I plug in after the PC has fully started. 
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Jonniina
Explorer
I didn´t mean to upset anyone in first place. Just sad, because i have had problems all the time with this, but never with original rift. When you have been fighting with problems already many many hours, at least i start to think that i do have better things to do and spend my time than trying to get something working.

I also asked some sort of refund, that i can return my rift s for even partial refund, because it seems not to work ever anyways, to get rid of spending my time on this, but as was already pretty clear to quess, no deal. I just have to spend more my time, or loose everything i paid for. I did not think that as a good option, althou only option it seems to be.

My bad, i do not mean high speed USB:s. I have USB 3.0.

My computer specs.
-Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz / 3.8ghz
-16gb ram DDR3
-64Bit Win 10
-Inno 3D I chill (nvidia GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X)
-SSD drives X4 (don´t remember all of the specs) Oculus have been two different of these
-HDD X2
-Asus sabertooth B67
-PSU 750w

But after Nvidia release 3080 / ti, going to throw all old away and do complete new build, based on that. Maybe oculus finally works on that, but i do not have my hopes up. Should work on my old setup just fine also.

Soulless512
Expert Protege
I am also having issues with my Rift-S continously loading up saying no audio from headset or that it is not seeing the USB port and I know it is not my PC. I have had way more problems with the Rift-S than i ever did with my CV1. I am honestly getting close to saving up and getting an index, but there are so many great titles on the oculus store that I do not want to go that route. Before any of you all say it is my PC, I assure you specs beat out what it asks for. Ryzen 7 2700x 16gb ddr4 RTX 2070 Windows 10 64 Bit 850w PSW

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just stop buying any games from the Oculus store and get them on Steam. There are ways to play oculus games on Vive and someday you may be able to play them on other headsets. I really think the way Oculus is going they will keep bringing people into VR but then just push them towards another headset manufacturer.  Oculus is no longer the way to go if you want PCVR.