New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift Build 14.0 Release Notes

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,149 Valuable Player
    morphee7 said:
    this is so annoying because it is so hit and miss, i now have a 2080ti installed with a R2700x and there all at stock clock speeds with no oc software and the stuttering still comes and goes even on the home on my rift s ive all but given up now
    Wow, you can afford a 2080ti but cheap out with an AMD cpu.  Sorry but the Intel/Nvidia fanbou in me could not resist, lol!  Maybe you should do some bottle neck analysis (google how to do this) because I doubt that your R2700x is ever going to get the best out of your nice/expensive rtx2080ti imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 771
    Trinity
    edited March 9
    Globespy said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    Globespy said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    I found that MSI afterburner caused a lot of my stuttering.  My PC is fine again after getting rid of it.
    Did you have any power options in the monitoring tab - they are known to cause issues for some.
    Other than that, AB is the gold standard for GPU control.
    No, I just wanted to let other people know that their issues could well be Afterburner related.  I am not interested in trouble shooting it TBH.
    That's pretty unfair on AB, when for 99% of users it works perfectly well and provides better performance out of their GPU in terms of heat (fan curves) and clock speeds (OC tool).
    I'm also guessing you just installed the entire AB package which installs RTSS by default, and that can cause far more issues in certain games than just AB program as many anti-cheat software pick up RTSS incorrectly.

Since you seem to just want to place all the blame on a trusted program by millions that you clearly don't understand instead of even trying to do a tiny bit of troubleshooting, it's important that other users realize that it's probably a 'you' problem and not AB.
    Well given that it is very easy to disable AB to check - only an idiot would dismiss it out of hand !  Its also a fact that AB not set up correctly can also slow the system down on certain games.  Given some of the posts on here (including yours) the advice I have given is sound - its just a shame some people are too stupid to see it.
    Also the 99% you quoted that have no problems - no doubt an arbitrary figure plucked out of thin air - would not need to do anything anyway. More drivel from you. Proves high post accounts mean nothing on here.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    TomCgcmfc said:
    morphee7 said:
    this is so annoying because it is so hit and miss, i now have a 2080ti installed with a R2700x and there all at stock clock speeds with no oc software and the stuttering still comes and goes even on the home on my rift s ive all but given up now
    Wow, you can afford a 2080ti but cheap out with an AMD cpu.  Sorry but the Intel/Nvidia fanbou in me could not resist, lol!  Maybe you should do some bottle neck analysis (google how to do this) because I doubt that your R2700x is ever going to get the best out of your nice/expensive rtx2080ti imho.
    I`ve just paired my MSI2080ti with an i7 9700k running at 4.9ghz watercooled..Getting brilliant performance with my Rift S so far.SS 1.8
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    TomCgcmfc said:
    morphee7 said:
    Certainly the fanboi there - very little can be measured on just single core performance...  Not in these happy, multi-thread days...   I've certainly not hit a CPU bottleneck with my 2700...  8 cores/16 threads...  hmmm :D

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    TomCgcmfc said:
    yeah theres no bottleneck on the 2700x when running heaven benchmark GPU running at 100% on cpu-z only performance limiting factor was power, and my choice was buy a 9900k for a grand then a mobo and stick with my 1080ti or upgrade my 1700 with the 2700x and buy a 2080ti? no competition in my mind

anyway lol i ran my rift s last night on acc with maybe a couple of stutters on 45fps with ASW but if i ran it with that disabled it had that jerky stuttering with 26 people in a server and my cpu threads never went over 75% and that was only one that got that high the rest didnt even hit over 45% if i remember right

• ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 272 Oculus Staff
    Hey folks - quick heads up that you may see a small update today or tomorrow, but you shouldn't see any noticeable changes. Just a behind-the-scenes bug fix and an updated software certificate. This same update rolled out to the v14 PTC yesterday.
  • huliqanhuliqan Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 10
    What is the update arrived? today now???
  • cercatacercata Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    edited March 10
    huliqan said:

Wow, Oculus has predictive forums, someone from the staff answered your question before you asked it ... Minority Report is comming.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,610 Valuable Player
    Hey folks - quick heads up that you may see a small update today or tomorrow, but you shouldn't see any noticeable changes. Just a behind-the-scenes bug fix and an updated software certificate. This same update rolled out to the v14 PTC yesterday.

Well that brings back memories. Software certificates can be important things. (March 7, 2018)

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

Art3mis
    well yesterday i was using my rift s and it turned it into a samsung gear were it wouldnt track my movements forward or bacwards and was slowly drifting my view to the right and having to recentre my virew, not a good thing when your trying to do a 90 minute race at night at hungaroring (probably spelt wrong)
  • huliqanhuliqan Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    cercata said:
    huliqan said:

Wow, Oculus has predictive forums, someone from the staff answered your question before you asked it ... Minority Report is comming.
    What he said? What he answered ?
    I don't understand what kind of forum are we talking about?
  • GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    edited March 11
    Umpa_PC said:
    Globespy said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    Globespy said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    I found that MSI afterburner caused a lot of my stuttering.  My PC is fine again after getting rid of it.
    Did you have any power options in the monitoring tab - they are known to cause issues for some.
    Other than that, AB is the gold standard for GPU control.
    No, I just wanted to let other people know that their issues could well be Afterburner related.  I am not interested in trouble shooting it TBH.
    That's pretty unfair on AB, when for 99% of users it works perfectly well and provides better performance out of their GPU in terms of heat (fan curves) and clock speeds (OC tool).
    I'm also guessing you just installed the entire AB package which installs RTSS by default, and that can cause far more issues in certain games than just AB program as many anti-cheat software pick up RTSS incorrectly.

Since you seem to just want to place all the blame on a trusted program by millions that you clearly don't understand instead of even trying to do a tiny bit of troubleshooting, it's important that other users realize that it's probably a 'you' problem and not AB.
    Well given that it is very easy to disable AB to check - only an idiot would dismiss it out of hand !  Its also a fact that AB not set up correctly can also slow the system down on certain games.  Given some of the posts on here (including yours) the advice I have given is sound - its just a shame some people are too stupid to see it.
    Also the 99% you quoted that have no problems - no doubt an arbitrary figure plucked out of thin air - would not need to do anything anyway. More drivel from you. Proves high post accounts mean nothing on here.
    You gave advice? 
    Remove AB without any troubleshooting and then use what to manage their GPU?

PS - there's not need to get defensive and start throwing around insults when all I did was point out that your advice for everyone to remove Afterburner without even bothering to troubleshoot beyond turning it off/uninstalling it, might not be a panacea.
    The biggest problem with forums is that people are so butt hurt about other people's  opinions that the opportunity to find solutions is lost.

Have  nice day.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,317 Valuable Player
    Got 14.1 today, seems to work fine.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 390
    Trinity
    edited March 12
    I see they updated the sound drivers certificate from Windows labs for Oculus, after first claiming i have corrupted Windows 10 install, corrupted User Account (Windows tech support confirmed there isn't anything wrong and i also sent the proof to Oculus support, after they wouldn't tell me, which files are corrupt while Oculus software is totally flawless in it's runtime :D ) and also have something wrong with Directx, in which the only trouble was the non-certified Oculus sound driver which i pointed out to the "not so supportive"-customer support. Can't say nothing more for this but LOL.

Edit: nevermind, there's  OCULUS119B.sys still doesn't have digitally signed whql certificate based on DiretctX diagnostics.  Well at least the Oculus virtual device is now certified :D
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
    Art3mis
    well from my ongoing support ticket with the 6th different operative to comment on it (i wonder what the record is for how many support operatives can be on one ticket) now want me to return it and send a new rift s but i have to be patient as they have a system issue :D
  • masterx1234masterx1234 Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    It seems like no matter how many updates or news we see from the Oculus devs/support giving up hope they can never truly fix the horrendous stuttering issue ever since V12.0. HL Alyx release is imminent. How have they not solved this stutter issue yet, I recently updated to a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RTX 2080 and I STILL get the stutters, how is this even possible on such a powerful machine?. I have the CV1 and a Inateck USB 3.0 card. There is no bottlenecks on my machine, GPU and CPU never max out and I can clearly see the performance headroom randomly dip below 0% at times when something loads in or when I shoot a gun. And this is when I have 60% of performance headroom so why is it spiking below 0% for? This Is what we often refer to in PC gaming as "Micro-stutter". Its when a frame is dropped or when the frametime spikes and causes a delay in the perceived frame and it creates a hitching effect, its even more amplified in VR because the display is always on our face within our view. I have barely touched my Rift since update V12.0, I mean if your goal was to push me away from playing more VR and buying less games, then you succeeded I guess. Oculus I really am trying my best to stay patient and be a good customer because I love VR and want it to grow, but you have really let down your customers. V12.0 should have had many more months of testing before it was released. 
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,610 Valuable Player
     I mean if your goal was to push me away from playing more VR and buying less games, then you succeeded I guess. Oculus I really am trying my best to stay patient and be a good customer because I love VR and want it to grow, but you have really let down your customers. V12.0 should have had many more months of testing before it was released. 

Sadly, I have to agree with you.
    All the people who joined the Oculus company to create great VR hardware and software have now moved on.
    The team that works for them now is purely focused on VR as only a tool for "social media". For that end use it doesn't need to be cutting edge, it only needs to be good enough for the selfie takers to be wowed by it.
    You can see that all the updates are about Facebook Social Media and no problems are being addressed.

VR hardware will not be pushed to it's limits by this company, it's goals lie elsewhere.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

Got the latest v14.1 today.  Same bugs with my Rift cv1 as I reported with V13 (sent logfiles) and v14.  What a surprise, lol!  Since these bugs, like I can no longer properly shutdown X Plane 11, I have now shifted ALL my flight/racing sims, Google Earth VR, and most SteamVR apps over to my Vive Pro.  Actually, these all look a bit better to me with my Vive Pro than my Rift cv1 anyway, even with 2x SS.

Fortunately my Rift cv1 continues to play all my Oculus Store games fine and with 2x SS they all still look very nice.  Also, thanks to the Vive Pro link box on/off swithch and OTT switching options it's very easy to go between each headset (without removing any cables btw).

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 159
    Art3mis
    Same as last two posters. The last version that worked for me was pre 12. I havent been able to use my rift for the last three months. I even get the stuttering in Oculus Home. Tried version 14 and PTC 15 with zero improvement.  
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • cigaremoodscigaremoods Posts: 280
    Nexus 6
    Richooal said:
     I mean if your goal was to push me away from playing more VR and buying less games, then you succeeded I guess. Oculus I really am trying my best to stay patient and be a good customer because I love VR and want it to grow, but you have really let down your customers. V12.0 should have had many more months of testing before it was released. 

All the people who joined the Oculus company to create great VR hardware and software have now moved on.
    The team that works for them now is purely focused on VR as only a tool for "social media". For that end use it doesn't need to be cutting edge, it only needs to be good enough for the selfie takers to be wowed by it.
    You can see that all the updates are about Facebook Social Media and no problems are being addressed.

VR hardware will not be pushed to it's limits by this company, it's goals lie elsewhere.

Hello,

unfortunately I agree with your analysis. I think the objective now is to collect a maximum of private information on users without any qualms or ethics. the goal being to resell this information to anyone who pays the price without worrying about what these buyers will do with it.

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Intel core I9-9900K, MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio 11go, Corsair DDR4 16go, SSD Samsung NVMe M.2 500go, SSD Samsung 2To 860 QVO,
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 771
    Trinity
    I bought VR for the here and now.  I bought it because I can now afford it, and thats thanks to Oculus (as it is now) as its no longer only for the rich.  So even if no more games ever get developed for it, there are plenty already out there to justify the purchase.  Its not like Oculus is the only provider of hardware, its good that there is a headset that caters for everyones most peoples pocket.

Now I am a consumer that seems to be largely immune to Oculus' software update problems, All my computers are pre-built VR ready gaming rigs, so perhaps thats why I have very few issues?

I do feel for the VR enthusiast who spends many hundreds or even thousands on a top of the line, self built machine only to have it perform like a VR ZX Spectrum after a forced update.   To these people I say vote with your feet, sell your Oculus HMD and buy from another vender.   I don't think Facebook are listening or even care that much TBH.  IMO the only service they offer is to GCHQ and the NSA.  I still bought them knowing that too - lol
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • MasterLongNut003MasterLongNut003 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I get stuck while I walk forward, when I use Smooth Locomotion on my Rift S it happens in any app. The newer updates seem to be the reason. 
    Art3mis
    ok just got the reply from my ticket saying they want me to return it and send a replacement, one question... last time i looked you couldnt get a new rifts for love nor money so how am i going to get a replacement if they have none to sell?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,526 Valuable Player
    morphee7 said:
    ok just got the reply from my ticket saying they want me to return it and send a replacement, one question... last time i looked you couldnt get a new rifts for love nor money so how am i going to get a replacement if they have none to sell?
    Maybe they have customer support inventory.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Art3mis
    well heres hoping but the way coronas coming in the uk we will be locked down like italy and now spain so no warehouse guna ne operational
  • AesthetikerAesthetiker Posts: 18
    Brain Burst
    .Richooal said:

After reading this i clearly assume for myself that i will change headset to the Valve Index later this year... Those kind of news im very concerned about, cause developer are the heart of this here... Without ambitious developer we can make other things than posting Problems/Bugs in this forum just for Pete's Sake... 

i have to laugh so hard when thinking of a Oculus developer working on social-media-useless-shit-stuff and then the developer at steam working on Half Life Alyx.... :D:D:D 

As James Blunt said:
    Goodbye my lover
    Goodbye my friend
    You have been the one
    You have been the one for me
    I am a dreamer but when I wake
    You can't break my spirit

sry for this useless post, knewing that this sort of posts wont make anything better, but posting my problems wont change anything either
    @Aesthetiker Hang in there mate, hopefully things will improve in the near future.  The VR grass is not always greener elsewhere imho.

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,526 Valuable Player
    Yeah I guess Stormland and Asgard's wrath was all geared toward FB social media...
    Uh huh.
    I guess implementing Oculus Link with Quest to be able to connect to PC for better gaming experience with the Quest, was all geared toward Social Media/FB.
    Uh huh...

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Art3mis
    well sending my rift s back as come to a halt with me having to self isolate in the uk with being in the at risk catagory but they said they will put my return on hold until im in the clear, yeah i could take the risk and wear a mask and whatever messures but id rather play it safe