cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to Mac

katnissali
Explorer
I use a software called Android File Transfer that has worked in the past to allow me to connect my oculus quest to my mac. I tried downloading SideQuest and began following the instructions for connecting the oculus to it. Also, I am in developer mode. The Oculus does not show up on my computer and renders non-existent, and the message for the USB Debugging is also non-existent. I tried turning off developer mode, but the Oculus still does not appear on the mac.
22 REPLIES 22

kmitch1001
Honored Guest
Sorry to ask such a newbie question but I'm looking for a cable or adapter to connect the Quest to my Mac. The specs on the cables/adapters are confusing. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

MobikatMike
Explorer

Sorry to ask such a newbie question but I'm looking for a cable or adapter to connect the Quest to my Mac. The specs on the cables/adapters are confusing. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

It depends on what Mac you have, if you have an older one you might need a USB C to USB A adapter. The Quest comes with a USB C cable already.
Here's the one am using:
(Can't post link as I am too new apparently).

MobikatMike
Explorer
I have this problem too and no solution so far. MacBook Pro 2015, Catalina 10.15.2
I have tried:
- Reboot Mac and Quest
- Developer Mode On
- Developer Mode Off

Neither of the devices appear to notice the other, but the Quest does start charging when connected. I am using the cable that came with it, and a small adapter for the USB connector. It HAS worked in the past, but I have no idea why it suddenly worked (perhaps I had by chance done a special rain-dance earlier that day).
Please note that Android File Transfer is indeed 64 bit, according to the System Report
3fk6ic7mc5hg.png

MobikatMike
Explorer
Ok mine is working now, I suspect it was because the Android File Transfer Agent hadn't been launched, that and possibly reversing the cable (hey I was getting desperate :)). I hope that helps someone in future 🙂

MobikatMike
Explorer
And again it isn't working. I've tried all of the various incantations, I've sacrificed goats, rain-danced, and called in a lightning strike.
Nothing.
The USB ports otherwise work, the Quest appears to otherwise work - but these two talking over USB? Nope.

MrWaverly
Honored Guest
Any one ever have a "Gradle failure" when building? Any ideas on fixes?

rascalpa
Honored Guest
I also am having the problem of connecting Quest to my MacBook pro.  I have the proper connection...changed the chord once...no luck.  Then plugged in the first chord and it worked.....the next time I tried it ....nothing...did not appear on the quest....allow download....never appears....dev mode off or on.....didnt matter.....

vineetkamboj
Honored Guest
I just got it working  B) 

All you need to do is install the adb drivers manually on your mac

Follow the link below to download and install the drivers using terminal (add www in the link...I cannot post links)
xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/ 

As soon as you do that run the command adb devices and check (it should show quest as connected). Now look into your quest, allow the debugging and there you go.

If you need to check your USB connection, GoTo > About this mac > System Report > USB > One of the usb connection should show quest.

Cheers

iosman987
Honored Guest
If it’s enabled, try turning off developer mode, it’s seems to stop the permissions message from appearing in the headset for file transfer.

I have also discovered that connecting SideQuest first makes Android File Transfer work (I think it’s to do with drivers). Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had the same problem, but i just had to open the oculus app on my phone, connect to the quest and it worked.
So it seems you need:
- the right cable
- developer mode on
- android file transfer app, running
- connect to sidequest
- connect to oculus app (on phone, tablet..)

good luck 🙂