cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

kc2xdolpe4vt.jpg

I consider myself reasonably lucky with the movies I've bought lately, because few sucked donkey balls. And even though I do not really like neither Brad Pitt nor Leonardo DiCaprio, Pitt did win an Oscar for the movie and I was looking forward to see "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood". Of course mostly because I'm a great fan of several Tarantino movies. 
But this movie really did suck donkey balls - at least the first 130 minutes of the 150 minutes or so - where literally nothing happened. Sure it was nice to go down memory lane and see the sunny Hollywood in the year of 1969, and yes I did enjoy Margot Robbie in pure 4K res - then again who wouldn't :blush:

Image result for margot robbie sexy

But in the end this was like $30 down the drain - this is by far not a normal Tarantino movie. There's close to no action or coherent nor interesting story. I was hoping Tarantino could force Brad Pitt into unusual roles (like Travolta in Pulp Fiction), but Brad Pitt and DiCaprio were just like you've seen them in most of their other movies. None of them expressed many emotions, neither anger or happiness - ok, DiCaprio maybe a little - but emotionally everything - apart from maybe 10 minutes - was just ... dull. I've got no clue why Pitt won an Oscar for this semi-mediocre performance. I get it why Phoenix won for the Joker - because Phoenix totally owned that Oscar - but Pitt!?!? 
If you miss reliving the summer of 1969 in Hollywood, see this collection of scenes - if you want an interesting story or action look elsewhere. I'd rated the movie 4/10, thank you Margot 😉 Music and sound were great though. 

I think these reviews are really spot on:

hx4rklboginp.jpg

Btw - regarding any bias - I'd rate both Pulp Fiction and Hateful Eight 10/10.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The kids talked me into going to the theater yesterday - we saw Sonic. It wasn't bad, actually quite funny here'n there - in fact I think Brad Pitt should give his Oscar to Jim Carrey, because Jim delivered a great performance in Sonic!

https://youtu.be/szby7ZHLnkA

The movie is 7/10 on IMDB, which is very high for this genre, but I think 6/10 is more correct - ok 7/10 if you're not an adult 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, trying to capture some 4K Joker greatness I took this photo with my mobile phone, so it looks much better in the real world - the facial details are really second to none in the Joker 4K edition:

1tly3oott0wr.jpg

The above is just zoomed in on this photo:

orh7331zravn.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It's Saturday - just got this movie - it's sci-fi, but not that high on IMDB.

Image result for glass 4k

I hope this dude is right - this is the user review on IMDB with the most votes for being helpful:

ohzdfc6ad21y.jpg

Hmm, a "thinking person's movie" - might have to go easy on the red wine tonight then :# 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Found out that Glass was the last part of a trilogy taking about 20 years to make - so I'm revisiting Unbreakable tonight and start the journey toward Glass  o:)

uundp9bomtl8.jpg

After getting Split I saw that the movie is available in 4K too, but it's fake 4K and same sound as the blu-ray (no Atmos), thus probably of limited importance... Glass is real 4K + Atmos.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Unbreakable was totally awesome - fun thing, after like 20 years I only remembered that the main character was in a train accident surviving without a scratch. But the movie is so much more - I'd completely forgotten about Mr. Glass and the ending. Can't wait to see Split later today. 

Btw, mailman just brought these - yup, got World War Z to teach the sons about pandemics  o:) - And I've never seen the 3D version B)

3tx0m3gg90td.jpg

Really looking forward to some Sleep too 😉 - The Shining is one of my favorite movie of all time, although it's probably not at all the same with no Kubrick: 

https://youtu.be/BOzFZxB-8cw

Doctor Sleep is real 4K and has Dolby Atmos support. 

The all-digital Doctor Sleep was shot with an Arri Alexa 65 and finished on a 4K digital intermediate, which predictably yields excellent results in its native format. As mentioned earlier, there are no shortage of interesting locales and color schemes -- some traditional, others very imaginative -- and this 2160p transfer treats them all with care, presenting a very refined and consistent overall picture that holds steady from start to finish. Image detail and textures are quite good, with a substantial amount of depth and clarity during outdoor scenes and those shot with more creative focal techniques. Black levels are nice and deep but shadow details don't get swallowed whole, as the transfer's bold and thick appearance feels as rich as some of the better traditional films I've seen in 4K.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Doctor-Sleep-4K-Blu-ray/254575/

Anonymous
Not applicable
Didn't realise they did another two films after Unbreakable!!! I absolutely LOVED that film!!! Bruce Willis has been one of my favourite actors since the awesome Moonlighting, a series that I rewatch every few years cos it's so bloody good. Am now going to watch Unbreakable again and check out those other two films too!!!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

Didn't realise they did another two films after Unbreakable!!! I absolutely LOVED that film!!! Bruce Willis has been one of my favourite actors since the awesome Moonlighting, a series that I rewatch every few years cos it's so bloody good. Am now going to watch Unbreakable again and check out those other two films too!!!

Just saw Split - which was awesome, great acting - we'll continue with Glass this evening! Note, on the blu-ray there're like 15 - 20 minutes of deleted scenes, which really help put Split into perspective - and the alternative ending, maybe that can be found also on YouTube. 
Upscaling the blu-ray version of Split to 4K was really amazing - really felt like the image quality was very close to true 4K quality - which was a big difference to Unbreakable which had much poorer image quality. So maybe not much need to get Split in 4K instead of blu-ray (and Split 4K is also fake 4K, but you do get HDR). 

Seems like it was always a trilogy, but was delayed for many years due to Unbreakable's too limited earnings at the box office - from Wiki:

"Upon release in 2000, Bruce Willis revealed that Unbreakable was the first part of a planned trilogy.[13] Both Willis and Samuel L. Jackson pushed for a sequel or trilogy, with Willis stating "It's really built as a trilogy," but Shyamalan expressed uncertainty and said, "I can’t tell you anything about them." Whether the film had a sequel depended upon how it would perform at the box office.[14] While Unbreakable was a moderate box office success, grossing $248 million worldwide on a $75 million budget,[15] it performed below expectations, earning about a third of what The Sixth Sense grossed.[12] Unbreakable gained more popularity over time and subsequently developed a cult following,[16] as the audience for comic book superhero films grew over time.[12]"

We may consider us lucky to finally get the trilogy! 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Never noticed this movie before, but I love animals so this was an easy pick-up from the bargain bin  ❤️  B)

https://youtu.be/Z_wgfM0j7AU

Btw, Netflix in EU now drops quality from HD to SD to reduce the massive burden on the internet due to the corona situation. But buying discs you get the best quality, you don't put a burden on the internet and you support the movie industry (and/or local shops) to a much higher degree than using Netflix  o:) 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - The movie Split has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The other two were good, but this one was pure garbage.