cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Reminds me of some of the last levels in Doom VFR - actually haven't completed VFR yet, but I've arrived at the final battle - but I keep getting spanked :blush:

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Reminds me of some of the last levels in Doom VFR - actually haven't completed VFR yet, but I've arrived at the final battle - but I keep getting spanked :blush:

Lol yea. That was an early level before I really knew what I was doing. Once I picked up the double dash I started using it constantly. I just took a vid to show a friend what it looked like.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I was playing Doom Eternal from midnight until after 2am last night. This is the first game in years that makes me want a bigger monitor.

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

I was playing Doom Eternal from midnight until after 2am last night. This is the first game in years that makes me want a bigger monitor.

Yea, it helps. I'm playing on a 49" and I'm pulled right up to it. Bad part is it pretty much means I have to play in 4k or it looks bad which limits me to 60hz. I have a 27" 144hz gsync monitor I use for twitchy games but for Doom I wanted to enjoy the graphics so opted for the big screen.

inovator
Consultant
I have a few pancake game I'd like to do but  vr is still making hard for me to do it. Just finished boneworks. It's so awsome it's worth a replay. And alex will be out the 23rd. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It's like being a lonely missionary sent to a dark corner of the world, and constantly being approached by the most beautiful and exotic 20-year old women who don't care about your wedding ring. It's really hard to say no day after day, so easy to give up  😄  

bktyi4y2ag31.jpg 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Found out I still have a 70GB installation of Doom 2016, and just had some fun in that game. It was also a study of latencies, using my bluetooth Logitech G603 gamer mouse and @RedRizla's recommended bluetooth Uproar headphones. Controls felt better and much more precise than gamepad, even tried my new Steam controller, but nah... Mouse + keyboard are much better. Actually using Logitch diNovo Edge, also my keyboard is bluetooth, lol. Sound was great using the Uproar, I did not notice latencies, bass was nice too.   
It worked great - really no problems with sound nor controls - and sitting 1½ feet from the 51" plasma (1920x1080) I'd say the horizontal fov is like CV1. The plasma only has 16 ms input lag in pc mode, maybe it all helps with bluetooth... Graphics looked great, kinda made me think of Index res 200%, but I think Index is better. This was Doom 2016 running on Ultra settings with 8xTXAA-something (highest possible). 
But the immersion - sure this looks nice, and plays ok, but the immersion is soooo limited. I might go back later this evening, although my hopes for 2D gaming have not really been improved. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Admitted, it does bring back the feeling of the old times playing with mouse and keyboard, especially using a big screen, although 2D pancake gaming does feel like an aging cheap amputated gaming solution compared to real VR gaming, lol. I'd probably rate pancake Doom 2016 at about 25% compared to Doom VFR in the Index - the latter I'd probably rate at 90% with the Index if we compare apples to oranges. (95% using CV1 ss 2.0 due to the SDE better covering up the many low-res textures in Doom VFR, while such textures constantly are in-your-face with the Index, lol - but Index has better controller support, because the Index trackpad is supported in Doom VFR - Knuckles perfectly emulate both Wands and Touch).
I'm still going to try Doom Eternal, but after Alyx. 

It's close to 4 years since I played with mouse and keyboard the last time - and that was Doom 2016. Kinda gave up, felt like old wine in a new bottle - VR changed that completely, and may do that again later today, we'll see...

SpottiChen
Protege

pyroth309 said:

Yea Rage 2 has been on my radar since the reveal trailer. I'm going to wait for reviews but I'll likely pick it up.

Not my favorite, it has some of the best action of the year but it squanders everything on a listless story campaign and banal mission design. You should try WoW Classic, at least you can skim the quest and still know where you're going, also I got some help at ssegold, maybe you'll like it too. 😉 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just saw these shots - yeah, I'll get back to eating some pancakes if this quality arrives  ❤️

rj7pr4ge4e6k.jpg
pbuktbhkcfjp.jpg
k4a9ctahv465.jpg
rrc64uuz318y.jpg
tdwtqarm9npf.jpg
8njjvjbb3k2v.jpg
n8kbr19o4im2.jpg
45j3pngyyt6e.jpg

The project started in about 2016, then went dead, but seems to have been resurrected, although the "new" trailer is 1 year old:

https://youtu.be/JdiaIRkjpI0

More here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/System_Shock/

Sad thing is that now we know the same graphics would be possible in VR - if Valve did the game using the Source Engine, lol.