cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error launching Half Life: Alyx

Dr_sTaTic
Honored Guest
Did a pre-download of Half Life: Alyx and launched it today. I got this error:

SteanVR failed initialation with error code VRintError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: Installation path could not be located (110)"
Please verify SteamVR is properly installed and try again.

I uninstalled it and downloaded it again. Launched and got the same error again. I am able to play Rift games on my Quest so I know it's not a connection issue.

13 REPLIES 13

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
whats a pre-download ?
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

enigma01
Trustee

Umpa_PC said:

whats a pre-download ?

You were able to pre-download most of the game before official launch. I did the same and only had to wait for it to install once the game was officially launched at 5pm gmt. It works fine for me, absolutely brilliant game! I hope the op manages to get it sorted.

@Dr.sTaTic

Have you been able to play any SteamVR games on your Quest via link? 

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

enigma01 said:

Umpa_PC said:

whats a pre-download ?

You were able to pre-download most of the game before official launch. I did the same and only had to wait for it to install once the game was officially launched at 5pm gmt. It works fine for me, absolutely brilliant game! I hope the op manages to get it sorted.

I did not know you could do that, I'm always late to the party - lol.  Seems to play quite good for me on Quest Link,  Not perfect by any means but playable all the same. Took about 3 hours to download and install though - lol
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Dr_sTaTic
Honored Guest
Yes, I am able to play other SteamVR games on your Quest via link. Half Life: Alyx is my only issue. 😞

patrick_beadle
Honored Guest
Did you find a fix? Exact same issue here. Other Steam VR games work fine, just Alyx has the 110 error. I too have reinstalled it with no change (and it takes a few hours!). Very frustrating. I have found some fixes for the error itself for other games, but none of them worked.

ezop73
Rising Star
The 110 error code seems to do with having special characters in your user name (this was a 2016 post so i would have hope they fixed it)

For me, it was a problem with having a foreign character in my windows username that messed up SteamVR for me
if you check C:/users you will see there is created a new folder with a weirdly typed version of your username

copy C:/Users/your_proper_username/AppData/Local/openvr to C:/Users/your_weird_username/AppData/Local/openvr

And you wont get that error when launching steamvr anymore about and everything should work. 

Worth a look.

URToast007
Honored Guest
Did you ever find a fix as I am also having the same issuse.

Bez333
Honored Guest
Has anyone got an answer for this yet?  

bellow is the message I get when I try to launch it. Anyone please help it's very frustrating. 

SteamVR failed initialization with error codeVRInitError_Init_PathRgistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)" Please verify SteamVR is w properly installed and try again.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Bez333 said:

Has anyone got an answer for this yet?  

bellow is the message I get when I try to launch it. Anyone please help it's very frustrating. 

SteamVR failed initialization with error codeVRInitError_Init_PathRgistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)" Please verify SteamVR is w properly installed and try again.

That sounds like you haven’t installed SteamVR. You need to go to your Steam Library, and find the Tools section (I think there’s a drop-down at the top of the library to select different filters/sections). In Tools, find SteamVR and install it. 

I think Steam could do a better job of making that more obvious; if you install a game that requires SteamVR, they could prompt you to install it, or just queue it up for you. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo