cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Audio issues.

MasterPanzie
Protege
I've looked as far as I could and have gone through oculus support for a few months to no avail. I've even replaced my rift. 

Here are the details.

My PC
Intel Core I7-5930K
CPU @ 3.5GHz
32GB RAM
Nvidia GTX980 (x2)
Windows 10 Pro v 1909

Upon booting my pc (having my rift plugged in before I boot) and changing my audio to Rift S. My entire PC audio is output to my rift.

Okay so far so good.

It will play audio out like a speaker all day no issues.

I put the rift on. Oculus home loads.

So far so good.

Roughly 5 minutes pass and theres a short freeze. Loss of tracking. Sound halts. Environment does that nuasiating thing where it doesnt stay  on the ground.

This short pause lasts like one second, then everything returns to normal with the exception that the sound is crashed and I will periodically get thos short freezes intermittently.

The ONLY things I've been able to find that restores sound is by going to settings and restarting oculus and also by unplugging and replugging in the headset. But the issue still persists shortly after replugging it in. 

When I say no sound I mean none through oculus period. My game (if attempting to play one) audio stops mirroring on my external audio. My headset doesn't make a chime when I tap the volume selector through my PC. Test this device doesnt make a chime. Nothing. And yes. All of these steps DO work in the short window before the audio cuts out. 

I've reinstalled oculus 100% (manually deleting EVERYTHING) and checked ALL of my USB ports. Including updating them AND plugging my headset into all of them individually. 

Yes I've set it as my default device yes it's on a 3.0 and yes i have run the windows troubleshooter to no avail. 

I've done everything short of swinging it by the cord and vaulting it out my window. 

Please help me. Oculus support has been great but maybe someone else has a stupid fix? I just wanna play games man. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GodfatherTB
Protege
So, maybe last update, if nothing new changes:
- The Inateck Workaround is now fine for me. I restart PC once i plugged the headset in. Then it works completely fine.

Today I had one headset crash after about 2 hours of gameplay.
--> Tracking loss, Going in last direction, noise, blackscreen, no audio. 
I just restarted the pc and all was back to normal.

Hope that my posts help some of you guys out there!

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56

Crazy_Sane
Superstar
So you haven't tried the vaulting thing yet? Maybe you should, just to cover all bases.

Are all of your drivers up to date? Do you have any other software running at the same time? Can you access any logs that might tell you what's happening when it pauses for a moment?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having the same issue. Only way to fix it is restart oculus. At first it happened after about an hour or 2, then 30 min, now it's about 5 minutes of playing, making games unplayable. I'm only trying to play Half Life: Alyx.

MasterPanzie
Protege
Yeah all my drivers are updated. no software in the background. and as far as logs go ive sent a few to oculus support but havent looked at them myself in fear it would be over my head. but ill glance through them and update as to weather it helped or not. as far as PC logs, i have no clue how id find what im looking for. vaulting is sounding better and better...

Sorry to hear you're facing the same issues i am. yes! same thing happened to me! long time at first then shorter over time. I wonder what can be causing it. I'm not happy you have an issue but I'm happy its somewhere else too and I'm not a unique case. That implies a software/hardware issue specific to oculus.

Rezerv
are your specs simillar to mine? what steps if any have you covered? any ideas or thoughts?

MasterPanzie
Protege
hm. heres a few errors i found (of many many many)

[Service_2020-03-18_17.51.46.txt] 18/03 18:25:52.056 {WARNING} [KMCore] [VISION][VIPER] IMU is running ahead of cam by 69.091 ms. Dropping frame.

[Service_2020-03-18_19.46.11.txt] 18/03 19:48:21.868 {WARNING} [KMCore] [Aggregated 25 times] [VISION][VIPER] IMU is running ahead of cam by 92.633 ms. Dropping frame.

[Service_2020-03-20_15.52.10.txt] 20/03 16:49:09.037 {!ERROR!} [KMHal] (HAL): ERROR: (hidapi.cpp:130): Failed to send feature report (0, -1, A device attached to the system is not functioning.

[Service_2020-03-20_15.52.10.txt] 20/03 16:49:09.493 {!ERROR!} [KMHal] (FW): 339161712 [error  ] {UUSB}: Unexpected transfer. Status: 1

[Service_2020-03-20_15.52.10.txt] 20/03 16:49:09.493 {!ERROR!} [KMHal] (FW): 339161712 [error  ] {UUSB}: Unexpected transfer. Status: 0

[Service_2020-03-20_16.53.04.txt] 20/03 16:53:05.688 {INFO}    [KMHal] (FW): B}: Unexpected transfer. Status: 0

[Service_2020-03-20_16.53.04.txt] 20/03 16:53:05.688 {!ERROR!} [KMHal] (FW): 339282803 [error  ] {UUSB}: Unexpected transfer. Status: 0

[Service_2020-03-20_16.53.04.txt] 20/03 17:39:10.173 {!ERROR!} [KMHal] [TrackingHal] [PCHAL] Call 'pc_hal_haptics_setbuffered':2649 returned a device error, Wireless RX/TX error (PC HAL result 18)

MasterPanzie
Protege
attached full logs here

or at least im trying too

nevermind i guess. Wont load

MasterPanzie
Protege
 🙂 

Azanias
Explorer
I am also having this exact same issue as described. My PC information is below:

My PC
AMD 3800X
32GB RAM - 3200mhz
Gigabyte 5700XT OC
Windows 10 Pro v1909

MasterPanzie
Protege
okay! i made a LITTLE headway. My system tray (the bottom right corner near volume) pops up saying "Oculus is using your microphone"  or "recroom is using your microphone" when the issue happens, so i closed EVERYTHING in the system tray AND disabled my internet security. it didnt FIX the problem but it gave me more time before crashing again. Also... when it crashed it would sometimes actually reset the head unit and the sound would come back on. it made me excited thinking it fixed itself, but then it crashed again. this time not playing through my head unit BUT through my speakers for a little. Until it crashed AGAIN and went back to no sound. Also. when it started resetting power, Oculus software noted that my display port plug was disconnected. 

So to recap here. if you are having the same problem as me try disabling EVERYTHING in your system tray.. Closing EVERYTHING. Disable your security. Tell me what happens for you. We can chip this problem away!

Azanias
Explorer
OK so after testing a few different things I am very certain it is the microphone in the rift s that is causing the crashes. For some reason if I am chatting to someone on any medium (valve, discord or oculus). To test this even further I joined a room in discord by myself but let the microphone transmit data. It then crashes very similarly to when I was playing with a friend or just chatting with someone. 

Not sure if this fixes your issue but at least I was able to pinpoint mine.