cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Life: Alyx

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer

I am really looking forward to this. Sure it isn't Half Life 3 but it's something huge for VR.
911 REPLIES 911

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

Argh... todays my day off work, so I got outta bed and straight into the Alyx. But this morning the prolapse in my back demands that I don't stand up for longer periods of time until it's ready for it. Feet starts falling asleep, and the tingling turns into spikey pain. :disappointed:
Usually takes a couple of hours worth of sitting down.
Guess I'm gonna have to do some morning pancake gaming. 

Hope you'll soon get better - and won't suddenly develop fever and a dry cough 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Having trouble and need some help, i have a rift S and im unable to jump over the wall, no jump function shows when i pull back on the right stick....any help please....

You might have to try a few times before a yellow arrow and/or some shoe prints appear - but I have not tested the game using Touch.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

andrew1977au
Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

Having trouble and need some help, i have a rift S and im unable to jump over the wall, no jump function shows when i pull back on the right stick....any help please....

You might have to try a few times before a yellow arrow and/or some shoe prints appear - but I have not tested the game using Touch.

tired easy 30 times so far....
Haswell 4790k@4.5 - MSI Z97 GAMING 5-  32GB GSKILL TRIDENT X 2933 - MSI VEGA 64 WATER 1700/1100 - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 - ACER XR341CK - AX1500I - CUSTOM HARD TUBE WATERCOOLED GPU&CPU - 750D - K70 MK2 - M65PRO : Acer Predator G9-793 : OCULUS RIFT S 

Wildt
Consultant
I'm well into chapter 6 now, and the gun fights vs combine have certainly picked up in intensity. Loving it! 
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

CGH001
Protege
Edit: I managed to get into the developer settings and change the paths and it's all ok now. Yay! It's looking pretty awesome so far!

I bought it and downloaded it last night and haven't been able to play it yet as I get:

steamvr failed initialization with error code vriniterror_init_nologpath "lg path could not be located (112)"

Aaaaargh!!! I have only used oculus stuff for a few months and haven't used steam vr at all during that time. It was fine before that though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled steam vr and still get the error. Steam is on my F: drive

gregor616
Adventurer
This is by far the most immersive game I have played on my Quest. Though WD SNS is right there with it. I find myself trying to lean on tables in the game to pick something up. The crabs have scared the crap out of me more times than I want to admit. 

I did find the game was running very bad through Link, so I tried Virtual Desktop and it runs like a dream. I may go back and play with some settings to see if I can get better performance from Link. Overall though I am about 1.5 hours into the game and I am enjoying the hell out of it. 
Oculus Quest 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard

kojack
MVP
MVP
I think I won the game:
9ts3dkcyeo34.jpeg

RuneSR2 said:

I wonder how Touch works in this game, really feels like made for Knuckles, but I'm sure Valve did a great job for Touch too. 

Either trigger on a controller will pick up objects or force pull them. Index trigger will shoot the gun. No problem with controls so far, although I don't like that your gun is fixed to one hand.

I can't turn snap turning off, which is the most annoying thing so far. I hate snap turning. Turning it off in the menu does nothing.

The Oculus reset view function doesn't align your horizontal position with the world's origin (where the feet in the yellow circle are). That's actually enough to get a game rejected from the Oculus store, it violates one of the input rules. Not that Valve needs to worry about that, we'll never see Alyx on a store other than Steam.

Having to enter SteamVR reminds me that Valve still haven't fixed the visual orientation of the sensors. Has nobody at Valve (in the last 4 years) on the Oculus support in SteamVR team actually used a CV1? That's not a HLA issue, it's just annoying that Valve can't fix something so simplistic (I can safely say it's simplistic because I did it myself with ease in a C++ engine using VR support I wrote myself). Playing HLA reminds me of it.

The fact that non full ammo magazines can't be stored is annoying.

Ladder climbing is much easier than Boneworks. Although there's nowhere near the freedom of movement. Throwing is also easier than Boneworks, but Roborecall is still in my top spot for throwing items.

I like the humor (Rhys Darby is awesome). I like the horror. But it doesn't feel appropriate to keep alternating between them.

If Valve really wants to get a lot of people into VR and has put so many accessibility options in there, it seems strange they would introduce combat with horror and limited ammo. It might work fine in HL1, but in VR I can imagine people being turned off once they reach that train with all the zombies around. It really should have had some more fun (but safe) combat first up to get people used to reloading under pressure.

It looks damn nice. It runs great on my 2080TI too. 🙂 I'm interested in finding out how much they've improved the Source engine. I wonder if they finally have mesh scaling? (Source used to have no scaling. For the Razer Hydra Portal levels, they actually had to have copies of the box mesh at every possible scaling combination you could do, then swap the meshes in and out as you stretched the boxes) It would be nice to have something to compete with Unity and Unreal.

At least the story makes more sense than Boneworks.

I'm only 1.5 hours in so far.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So can anyone answer my question? Why do you have to play Half Life 2 to get what this is about? They said it takes place 5 years before Half Life 2, so why do we have to have played Half Life 2? If there's a spoiler or something I would prefer not for anyone to say. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

So can anyone answer my question which was why do you have to play Half Life 2 to get what this is about? They said it takes place 5 years before Half Life 2, so why do we to have played Half Life 2? If there's a spoiler or something I would prefer not for anyone to say.

Dont have to - but it works best if you do. For example, it tells you a good chunk of what happen in HL2 thus if you never played it - would destroy the story for you going backwards some. Some are ok with this - others not so much. Spoilers usually don't kill my movie experience, but they can if the whole movie has a twist to the ending you know?

pyroth309
Visionary

gregor616 said:

This is by far the most immersive game I have played on my Quest. Though WD SNS is right there with it. I find myself trying to lean on tables in the game to pick something up. The crabs have scared the crap out of me more times than I want to admit. 

I did find the game was running very bad through Link, so I tried Virtual Desktop and it runs like a dream. I may go back and play with some settings to see if I can get better performance from Link. Overall though I am about 1.5 hours into the game and I am enjoying the hell out of it. 

I just got done trying it on my Quest and actually had the reverse situation lol. It worked better for me on Link, sharper image and less stutters. I found it to work well enough to play on both though but the realism factor was definitely less than odyssey. I think the lack of detail from not being able to supersample much may be the culprit. Things look fuzzier. But it still looks great.