New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Half Life: Alyx

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,865 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    Argh... todays my day off work, so I got outta bed and straight into the Alyx. But this morning the prolapse in my back demands that I don't stand up for longer periods of time until it's ready for it. Feet starts falling asleep, and the tingling turns into spikey pain. :disappointed:
    Usually takes a couple of hours worth of sitting down.
    Guess I'm gonna have to do some morning pancake gaming. 
    Hope you'll soon get better - and won't suddenly develop fever and a dry cough ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Having trouble and need some help, i have a rift S and im unable to jump over the wall, no jump function shows when i pull back on the right stick....any help please....
    You might have to try a few times before a yellow arrow and/or some shoe prints appear - but I have not tested the game using Touch.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• andrew1977auandrew1977au Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:
    Having trouble and need some help, i have a rift S and im unable to jump over the wall, no jump function shows when i pull back on the right stick....any help please....
    You might have to try a few times before a yellow arrow and/or some shoe prints appear - but I have not tested the game using Touch.
    tired easy 30 times so far....
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,208 Valuable Player
    I'm well into chapter 6 now, and the gun fights vs combine have certainly picked up in intensity. Loving it! 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • CGH001CGH001 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    edited March 24
    Edit: I managed to get into the developer settings and change the paths and it's all ok now. Yay! It's looking pretty awesome so far!

I bought it and downloaded it last night and haven't been able to play it yet as I get:

steamvr failed initialization with error code vriniterror_init_nologpath "lg path could not be located (112)"

Aaaaargh!!! I have only used oculus stuff for a few months and haven't used steam vr at all during that time. It was fine before that though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled steam vr and still get the error. Steam is on my F: drive
  • gregor616gregor616 Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is by far the most immersive game I have played on my Quest. Though WD SNS is right there with it. I find myself trying to lean on tables in the game to pick something up. The crabs have scared the crap out of me more times than I want to admit. 

I did find the game was running very bad through Link, so I tried Virtual Desktop and it runs like a dream. I may go back and play with some settings to see if I can get better performance from Link. Overall though I am about 1.5 hours into the game and I am enjoying the hell out of it. 
    Oculus Quest 
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,121 Volunteer Moderator
    I think I won the game:

RuneSR2 said:
    I wonder how Touch works in this game, really feels like made for Knuckles, but I'm sure Valve did a great job for Touch too. 
    Either trigger on a controller will pick up objects or force pull them. Index trigger will shoot the gun. No problem with controls so far, although I don't like that your gun is fixed to one hand.

I can't turn snap turning off, which is the most annoying thing so far. I hate snap turning. Turning it off in the menu does nothing.

The Oculus reset view function doesn't align your horizontal position with the world's origin (where the feet in the yellow circle are). That's actually enough to get a game rejected from the Oculus store, it violates one of the input rules. Not that Valve needs to worry about that, we'll never see Alyx on a store other than Steam.

Having to enter SteamVR reminds me that Valve still haven't fixed the visual orientation of the sensors. Has nobody at Valve (in the last 4 years) on the Oculus support in SteamVR team actually used a CV1? That's not a HLA issue, it's just annoying that Valve can't fix something so simplistic (I can safely say it's simplistic because I did it myself with ease in a C++ engine using VR support I wrote myself). Playing HLA reminds me of it.

The fact that non full ammo magazines can't be stored is annoying.

Ladder climbing is much easier than Boneworks. Although there's nowhere near the freedom of movement. Throwing is also easier than Boneworks, but Roborecall is still in my top spot for throwing items.

I like the humor (Rhys Darby is awesome). I like the horror. But it doesn't feel appropriate to keep alternating between them.

If Valve really wants to get a lot of people into VR and has put so many accessibility options in there, it seems strange they would introduce combat with horror and limited ammo. It might work fine in HL1, but in VR I can imagine people being turned off once they reach that train with all the zombies around. It really should have had some more fun (but safe) combat first up to get people used to reloading under pressure.

It looks damn nice. It runs great on my 2080TI too. :) I'm interested in finding out how much they've improved the Source engine. I wonder if they finally have mesh scaling? (Source used to have no scaling. For the Razer Hydra Portal levels, they actually had to have copies of the box mesh at every possible scaling combination you could do, then swap the meshes in and out as you stretched the boxes) It would be nice to have something to compete with Unity and Unreal.

At least the story makes more sense than Boneworks.

I'm only 1.5 hours in so far.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited March 24
    So can anyone answer my question? Why do you have to play Half Life 2 to get what this is about? They said it takes place 5 years before Half Life 2, so why do we have to have played Half Life 2? If there's a spoiler or something I would prefer not for anyone to say. 

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,617 Valuable Player
    edited March 24
    RedRizla said:
    So can anyone answer my question which was why do you have to play Half Life 2 to get what this is about? They said it takes place 5 years before Half Life 2, so why do we to have played Half Life 2? If there's a spoiler or something I would prefer not for anyone to say.
    Dont have to - but it works best if you do. For example, it tells you a good chunk of what happen in HL2 thus if you never played it - would destroy the story for you going backwards some. Some are ok with this - others not so much. Spoilers usually don't kill my movie experience, but they can if the whole movie has a twist to the ending you know?
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,627 Valuable Player
    edited March 24
    gregor616 said:
    This is by far the most immersive game I have played on my Quest. Though WD SNS is right there with it. I find myself trying to lean on tables in the game to pick something up. The crabs have scared the crap out of me more times than I want to admit. 

I did find the game was running very bad through Link, so I tried Virtual Desktop and it runs like a dream. I may go back and play with some settings to see if I can get better performance from Link. Overall though I am about 1.5 hours into the game and I am enjoying the hell out of it. 

I just got done trying it on my Quest and actually had the reverse situation lol. It worked better for me on Link, sharper image and less stutters. I found it to work well enough to play on both though but the realism factor was definitely less than odyssey. I think the lack of detail from not being able to supersample much may be the culprit. Things look fuzzier. But it still looks great.
    edited March 24
    Now I'm intrigued, Going dig out my old CV1 and see how that compares to my Quest lol. Hopefully it still works.
    edited March 24
    Alright after playing for a bit, I honestly prefer a super sampled CV1 over Quest for my PC. I can push it way harder and get more out of it. That's surprising to me considering the resolution difference but a lot of the game is dark or gray toned, the SDE doesn't really stand out to me. Beyond visuals, CV1 annihilates it between sound, tracking, and OG Touch. I forgot how much better the OG touch are. Feel so good in the hand.

Anyways, some food for thought. I still prefer the Odyssey+ over CV1 for the visuals but CV1 destroys it on controllers and is a bit better soundwise. 

Disclaimer: This is just my experience on my specific PC. Which is a Gtx 1080 GPU with an OC'd I5 6600K.
    kojack said:
    Has nobody at Valve (in the last 4 years) on the Oculus support in SteamVR team actually used a CV1? 
    How about native Oculus support? Can you start the game from Oculus Home without starting SteamVR? (Yeah, I know, what are the odds...)

I know I could test it myself, but starting CV1 with Index connected usually crashes CV1 - if there's no native Oculus driver support. So I try not to do that, lol. 

Btw, I really like to pull and grab stuff - after Alyx I might take up a career in baseball, because then I can catch anything  :D  

pyroth309 said:
    Alright after playing for a bit, I honestly prefer a super sampled CV1 over Quest for my PC. I can push it way harder and get more out of it. That's surprising to me considering the resolution difference but a lot of the game is dark or gray toned, the SDE doesn't really stand out to me. Beyond visuals, CV1 annihilates it between sound, tracking, and OG Touch. I forgot how much better the OG touch are. Feel so good in the hand.

Anyways, some food for thought. I still prefer the Odyssey+ over CV1 for the visuals but CV1 destroys it on controllers and is a bit better soundwise. 

Disclaimer: This is just my experience on my specific PC. Which is a Gtx 1080 GPU with an OC'd I5 6600K.

Did my best to push you over, glad it worked  :D So no Quest for me, thank you for the help!

Now - today's test. The right glove has two chips. Using Index "Low Fidelity" I can read the numbers, but I have to move the chips very close to my face. I guess Reverb will work even better, but I wonder if anyone with CV1, Quest or Rift-S can read the numbers... But maybe it'll work, res increases a lot when stuff is close-up... 

RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

Did my best to push you over, glad it worked  :D So no Quest for me, thank you for the help!

Well don't' take my results as definitive. I'm only talking about Alyx. My CPU is a bit weak and I'm getting some stutters in Quest that others may not be getting. I can only push it to 1.0 pixel density in Alyx without it going south. Plus that's not considering the quest portability and wireless ability when streaming it.

It works great for me in some of the other games I tried but it's coming up a bit short in Alyx for me.
    RedRizla said:
    So if this is 5 years before Half Life 2 then why do you have to play Half life 2 first to understand what's going on? Can't get my head around that one.

You don't need to play neither HL 1 or 2. We'll, I've played both but it's so many years ago that I don't remember the story in great detail. Just jump in - then you can play HL 2 later, it'll probably run at 60 fps - on your phone  :D 

RuneSR2 said:
    tired easy 30 times so far....
    Have you checked if the issue has been described here? 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/546560/discussions/

- or you could make a post there (or Oculus Reddit). 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,005 Valuable Player
    @pyroth309 - good to know. I'm still rocking my CV1 since we still don't have a true 2nd Gen PCVR Kit. Hopefully now that everyone is in quarantine all the R&D teams at Facebook will give us the coveted Rift CV2! lol

I was waiting to see reviews for HL-A to determine if I should upgrade to the Rift-S, or even possibly the Index. But as Angry Joe mentioned (he's been using VR since the demo kit days), HL-A isn't worth spending $1000 on an HMD, and it is more enjoyable on the Rift-S than the Index. Which I find surprising!

Even PewdiePie played it on Rift-S with ease. But overall, I'll probably just play this on CV1 since HL-A is a somewhat "short" game anyway, in terms of overall gameplay hours.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited March 24
    @Zenbane Yea, Rift-S may be the sweet spot for most people. I wish I had one to try. I'm curious the difference between it and my 3 OLED headsets. It does have the controller advantage over Odyssey.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,108
    Wintermute

Pull back on the stick and walk forward :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    edited March 24
    MowTin said:
    I'm totally blown away by the image quality. I didn't set any supersampling. I just chose high settings and it looks spectacular. 

Somehow Valve has managed to create a VR game that visually blows every other VR game and yet runs perfectly smoothly. Is it Nvidia dlss? I have no idea how they achieved this.

I'm playing on the Index. 

Btw, my thoughts yesterday were also that using Index, Alyx is totally a full-blown Gen2 experience - there's no way a Gen1 CV1 or Vive can even approach these visuals due to both res and SDE - and Index controllers are - for the first time - used to their full extend. The 3D sound using the Index speakers also lift up the experience, although CV1 has better bass I've never experienced 3D sound immersion like Index provides in Alyx. 

RuneSR2 said:
    MowTin said:
    I'm totally blown away by the image quality. I didn't set any supersampling. I just chose high settings and it looks spectacular. 

Somehow Valve has managed to create a VR game that visually blows every other VR game and yet runs perfectly smoothly. Is it Nvidia dlss? I have no idea how they achieved this.

I'm playing on the Index. 

Btw, my thoughts yesterday were also that using Index, Alyx is totally a full-blown Gen2 experience - there's no way a Gen1 CV1 or Vive can even approach these visuals due to both res and SDE - and Index controllers are - for the first time - used to their full extend. The 3D sound using the Index speakers also lift up the experience, although CV1 has better bass I've never experienced 3D sound immersion like Index provides in Alyx. 

I kind of question the Angry Joe review about getting sick in Index. I unsubbed from him a few years ago because he kept doing shallow reviews of games. IE it was apparent he didn't play them more than an hour or two and only had a high level understanding. So I'm kind of wondering if he didn't take the time to get his setup right.

When I had my Index, my feelings of motion sickness were less than my other headsets after long periods. I'm wondering if he was hitting low fps or something to get that many different people sick in it. What kind of gaming PC was he pushing it with?

That all being said, I'm in full agreement that it's not worth 1k bucks just to play Alyx. Of course, I'm also in agreement that it's not worth 1k bucks at all and said as much when I bought mine.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,005 Valuable Player
    edited March 24
    pyroth309 said:
    I kind of question the Angry Joe review about getting sick in Index. I unsubbed from him a few years ago because he kept doing shallow reviews of games. IE it was apparent he didn't play them more than an hour or two and only had a high level understanding. So I'm kind of wondering if he didn't take the time to get his setup right.
    It wasn't just Joe, it was his other 2 friends as well. All 3 tried the Index then switched over to the Rift-S. Joe was the only one of the 3 who did try to spend time getting his Index setup right.

Also, I don't blame Joe for only spending 1 or 2 hours on a game. I'm the same way! That's what happens when you get older and have other sheit to do in life lol. Plus, most games are just a rehash of games that have already been made. There are very few original experiences. Which is why I took over 5 years away from gaming, and only came back because of VR. Yet 4 years in VR later, I'm finding the same problem. Lots of regurgitated experiences. I personally see no reason to spend 20, 40, 60+ hours in a game just to confirm the impression made in the first 2 hours.

That all being said, I'm in full agreement that it's not worth 1k bucks just to play Alyx. Of course, I'm also in agreement that it's not worth 1k bucks at all and said as much when I bought mine.

Agreed. I think that the term "Gen2" gets thrown around way too much and too easily. Graphics alone don't make anything Gen2, any more than adding 2 more fingers to tracking makes something Gen2. HL-A, much like the Index, is an incremental version increase to Gen1, not a full Gen2.

Version 1.2.9 != Version 2.0.0

I mean hell, PewdiePie makes nearly 1-million dollars a month and played HL-A on the Rift-S lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited March 24
    pyroth309 said:

When I had my Index, my feelings of motion sickness were less than my other headsets after long periods. I'm wondering if he was hitting low fps or something to get that many different people sick in it. What kind of gaming PC was he pushing it with?

Never had any motion sickness in the Index, I'm confindent the more fps the less you experience motion sickness. I'd worry much more about 80 or 72 Hz.  

I was also thinking after playing Alyx for some hours yesterday that the experience was so amazing it already felt like worth a grand, lol, but ok - maybe better to consider Alyx worth an grand - but each to his own ;) I've paid a grand for many experiences I consider of far less value than experiencing Alyx. 

I also think the Lone Echo experience was worth much more than all I paid for the CV1. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,208 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    I'm deffo loving the untethered CV1 Alyx experience :sunglasses: Just had my first run in with the ant lions.. hair standing tall on both arms. Good times.. good times :smiley:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:
    pyroth309 said:
    I'm deffo loving the untethered CV1 Alyx experience :sunglasses: Just had my first run in with the ant lions.. hair standing tall on both arms. Good times.. good times :smiley:
    Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm the only one stuck with quarantined kids I constantly need to help with schoolwork  :(  

edited March 24
    Players peaks

Alyx - Peak concurrent players yesterday: 42,858

Boneworks - all-time peak concurrent players: 8,717

Beat Saber - all-time peak concurrent players: 4,472

;)

Edit: Doom Eternal had all time highest player peak at 104,891, but that's potentially including all Steam users - but only 1% of Steam users have a hmd connected. Thus 43K users playing Alyx seems very impressive.

edited March 24
    Wildt said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Haven't gotten that far yet as I was experimenting between headsets but I'm going to have nightmares from the headcrabs already. :D

RuneSR2 said:

I was also thinking after playing Alyx for some hours yesterday that the experience was so amazing it already felt like worth a grand, lol, but ok - maybe better to consider Alyx worth an grand - but each to his own ;) I've paid a grand for many experiences I consider of far less value than experiencing Alyx. 

I also think the Lone Echo experience was worth much more than all I paid for the CV1. 
    Yep, wasn't trying to guilt anyone that owns it. I think it's still the best headset to buy for a premium experience but it's hard to say it's $600 better than Rift-S or $700 better than O+ is all I'm saying. I still feel like the system shoulda been $799ish.

*edit* fixed typo