cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Life: Alyx

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer

I am really looking forward to this. Sure it isn't Half Life 3 but it's something huge for VR.
911 REPLIES 911

Wildt
Consultant
The lack of smooth turning didn't bother me as I physically turn. Are you lazy bums playing seated? :lol:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RattyUK
Trustee

Wildt said:

The lack of smooth turning didn't bother me as I physically turn. Are you lazy bums playing seated? :lol:

Is there any other way? 😉

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I guess we old, previously burnt and scared users  :# - who are afraid to update drivers - sometimes may have some advantages  o:)

For example great stories like this one  B)

New Nvidia driver update has ruined my steamVR

So I had played maybe 10 min of half life and it ran fairly well before I decide to update my driver. And now steam vr I a stuttery mess when I move my head. I get like 30 FPS in half life Alyx and it’s not as bad in home but it still stutters pretty consistently, any way for me to fix this?
ttps://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fohlnz/new_nvidia_driver_update_has_ruined_my_steamvr/

I guess NASA does not update drivers just before the space shuttle is about to launch?  😉

I guess most persons won't have issues, but beware - Alyx could be at stake - if it works great, don't try to further improve it. When Asgard's Wrath and Stormland launched, Nvidia launched new drivers with special support for these games. Several months later I updated my old dusty driver - and found no improvements whatsoever in both Stormland or Asgard's Warth (or none that I could measure or noticed). I take the need to update Nvidia drivers with a grain of salt - unless I do experience specific problems. 2c.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

Nope, standing. I just have a small area at the moment so I like to keep facing the same way.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

gregor616
Adventurer

RuneSR2 said:

I guess we old, previously burnt and scared users  :# - who are afraid to update drivers - sometimes may have some advantages  o:)

For example great stories like this one  B)

New Nvidia driver update has ruined my steamVR

So I had played maybe 10 min of half life and it ran fairly well before I decide to update my driver. And now steam vr I a stuttery mess when I move my head. I get like 30 FPS in half life Alyx and it’s not as bad in home but it still stutters pretty consistently, any way for me to fix this?
ttps://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fohlnz/new_nvidia_driver_update_has_ruined_my_steamvr/

I guess NASA does not update drivers just before the space shuttle is about to launch?  😉

I guess most persons won't have issues, but beware - Alyx could be at stake - if it works great, don't try to further improve it. When Asgard's Wrath and Stormland launched, Nvidia launched new drivers with special support for these games. Several months later I updated my old dusty driver - and found no improvements whatsoever in both Stormland or Asgard's Warth (or none that I could measure or noticed). I take the need to update Nvidia drivers with a grain of salt - unless I do experience specific problems. 2c.

I had the opposite, I was having terrible performance through Link, updated my drivers and now it runs great. 

Oculus Quest 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard

pyroth309
Visionary

Wildt said:

Yep!

gregor616 said:

I had the opposite, I was having terrible performance through Link, updated my drivers and now it runs great. 

Which drivers did you update?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

gregor616 said:

I only recommend being careful if you already have great performance - if you have problems - like you did - of course you should update. 
The driver issues I posted were from a dude using Index. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

PluckeyOne
Protege
I thought it looked sharper with new drivers.

Wildt
Consultant

RattyUK said:

Wildt said:

It's apparently a better workout than I expected. All that loot searching in drawers, has you bending and crouching so much I lost 4 pounds! :lol:
And that's despite eating quite heftily in the breaks during my two 6 hour Alyx sessions. I also had a brewskie or 5 the first day.

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

RattyUK said:

Wildt said:

It's apparently a better workout than I expected. All that loot searching in drawers, has you bending and crouching so much I lost 4 pounds! :lol:
And that's despite eating quite heftily in the breaks during my two 6 hour Alyx sessions. I also had a brewskie or 5 the first day.

Huh, my back aches and I totally feel like a field worker, but I shall not give up as long as there's more resin to collect!!!  o:)