cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Software Build 15.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 4/2/2020: Good news! I've heard from the team that v15 is now available to all users! Thanks again for your continued patience, and please reach out to Oculus Support if you experience any issues downloading or using this new software update. See you in VR!

Update 4/1/2020: 
Hey folks - We've seen positive results from the hotfix we rolled out on Monday. As a result, we'll be continuing the v15 rollout today, making this software update available to a larger percentage of users. Please note that the update is still not available to everyone at this time, but we're making additional progress towards that goal. As always, thanks for your patience and understanding!

As a reminder, if you are encountering any new or unexpected issues after receiving the latest software update, please be sure to contact Oculus Support for assistance. Thanks!

Update 3/30/2020: 
Hi all - hope everyone had a good weekend! Today, users who received the v15 update last week should see a new software update. This build is a hotifx for those bugs that were discovered during rollout: one bug that sometimes prevented apps with large amounts of DLC from downloading correctly and another bug that sometimes caused a system software crash. We will be monitoring to ensure that these bugs have been fully resolved for users who receive the update before continuing to rollout the v15 software to everyone. Thanks again for your patience throughout this process!

Update 3/27/2020: 
Hey folks - jumping in to provide a quick update on the v15 rollout. The team discovered a couple bugs during the rollout that has caused a slight delay in getting it out to everyone. We're currently working to get fixes in and get those fixes tested. As soon as everything looks good again, we'll resume the rollout. If you're anxious to get on v15, you can opt into the PTC. I'll be sure to provide another update early next week. As always, thanks for your patience!

All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of March 23, 2020.

Oculus Link

• You are now able to test your connection during Oculus Link setup. Clicking the Test Cable button will tell you whether or not your connection is compatible, what the available bandwidth is, and what the connection type is. You can access Link setup by selecting Quest and Touch from the Devices menu when your headset is hooked up to your PC.
  • Important note: The Test Cable functionality requires your Quest headset is on software version 15 as well.

Chats

• Updated icons and labeling to improve consistency and add additional clarity to what what each button does
  • Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the ‘Start Chat’ button to move locations

Miscellaneous

• Additional bug fixes and stability improvements
52 REPLIES 52

Richooal
Consultant
I'm not normally a conspiracy theory, tinfoil hat kind of person, but I just realised that we're starting to call this build "PC Software Build" rather than "Rift and Rift S Build".

Is this foreshadowing the demise of PCVR Rifts from Oculus while the software lives on to drive Quest with "Link"?
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

bowman9991
Protege
These updates make no sense. Is this for the Rift S? If so, why are they listing Oculus Link as an update? And what about the new main menu UI and social features? Are Rift devices not getting this? Why not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this changelog appears mostly to be a mistake? Have I missed something?

Anonymous
Not applicable

These updates make no sense. Is this for the Rift S? If so, why are they listing Oculus Link as an update? And what about the new main menu UI and social features? Are Rift devices not getting this? Why not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this changelog appears mostly to be a mistake? Have I missed something?

Oculus Link uses the same software as Rift S. 
Obviously version 15 seems to be more focused on Link.
But yes it is for both Quest and Rift S/CV1.

bitzie
Expert Protege

Richooal said:

I'm not normally a conspiracy theory, tinfoil hat kind of person, but I just realised that we're starting to call this build "PC Software Build" rather than "Rift and Rift S Build".

Is this foreshadowing the demise of PCVR Rifts from Oculus while the software lives on to drive Quest with "Link"?

So renaming to "PC Software Build" signals the demise of PCVR? What? I get that removing the "Rift and Rift S" part might get people's panties in a bunch, but it sounds far more like they're just consolidating the Quest into the build, therefore alleviating any confusion about what PC software the different headsets use.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

bitzie said:

Richooal said:

So renaming to "PC Software Build" signals the demise of PCVR? What? I get that removing the "Rift and Rift S" part might get people's panties in a bunch, but it sounds far more like they're just consolidating the Quest into the build, therefore alleviating any confusion about what PC software the different headsets use.

The Oculus PC software uses Rift CV1, Rift S, and Quest as the display hardware. The name change reflects that there are three devices that utilize the software to play games. People were more confused when it said Rift, because they would say "is this for the S?", or "is this for both?"

However, it is clear that the future of VR is without cables. There is no way that there will ever be another Rift product with a cable. They may release a wireless version that uses your PC, but the future is not Rift. It may not be Quest either, but it will be wireless or self-contained.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

bitzie said:

Richooal said:

The Oculus PC software uses Rift CV1, Rift S, and Quest as the display hardware. The name change reflects that there are three devices that utilize the software to play games. People were more confused when it said Rift, because they would say "is this for the S?", or "is this for both?"

However, it is clear that the future of VR is without cables. There is no way that there will ever be another Rift product with a cable. They may release a wireless version that uses your PC, but the future is not Rift. It may not be Quest either, but it will be wireless or self-contained.

Oh I think Oculus will continue to work on and improve the Link functionality of the Quest.
I am sure it will be included with the next Quest maybe along with wireless as well, depending on when it might come to fruition.
Rift though may be no more, time will tell.

After all neither the Quest nor the Rift S is quite a year old yet.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

dburne said:

bitzie said:

Richooal said:

Oh I think Oculus will continue to work on and improve the Link functionality of the Quest.
I am sure it will be included with the next Quest maybe along with wireless as well, depending on when it might come to fruition.
Rift though may be no more, time will tell.

After all neither the Quest nor the Rift S is quite a year old yet.

I definitely agree that they will keep improving support for those, and I have been grateful that my 2 Rift CV1s are still completely serviceable units. I also bought a Quest to get slightly better quality and inside out capabilities. 

On the one hand, I always hope that my existing hardware will continue to be acceptable for as long as possible, but on the other am looking forward to new hardware.

My point was that when new hardware is announced there won't be a tethered "Rift 2". Maybe there will be a "Quest 2" with a more powerful GPU, or more likely a "Quest 2" with built-in wireless streaming from the PC.

Given that the data requirements of the Link are fairly modest, it would not be inconceivable to make a UBS 3 streaming dongle that would stream directly to a "Quest 2" or even to a Quest with a dongle on it.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Richooal
Consultant

bitzie said:

So renaming to "PC Software Build" signals the demise of PCVR?

I didn't say that. Please don't change the meaning and then quote it incorrectly. What you wrote is a statement.

What I wrote was a question........
"Is this foreshadowing.........?"
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

bug_rogers
Honored Guest
My Rift s doesn't work anymore since 15.0
The day before it was fine. Ok, on bad days I had to reboot and replug before I could play continiously, but now the software says every connection is green, the Rift shows the white light but there's no image. The screen is working, but black. The headtracking works, 'cause I could open Pistol Whip, move the rift and see it on the monitor but there was no touch control/tracking. After a while the Rift turns red again and the software says either my usb or my display port is not working. Oh man... They should concentrate on the rift. For months it's like that. Sometime the rift runs great and then comes the next update. I am an expert now on usb power settings, grafiks settings, driver updates, windows updates, Ram speed and whatever... But the problem is Oculus. They don't get it fixed. I don't care about the quest link thing. I own the quest, but there are no cables. Of course, now that the rift doen's work, I'd like to own one, usb c to usb c, in 5m. The 3rd party confirmed ones are sold out and Oculus is out of stock since weeks.
At least they could give us the possibility to switch back to the previous version of the software if the new version isn't working.
Update:
I opened the Oculus software a few times everyday since tuesday when I got the update, 'cause I hoped for a patch. The problem remained. Strangely today I tried again and now it works. I don't know why. but it does.
So... Jipiiiyay