New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Half Life: Alyx

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,004 Valuable Player
    edited March 24
    PewdiePie Round 2 on the Rift-S. I found this one fairly entertaining

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,627 Valuable Player

RuneSR2 said:
    kojack said:
    Has nobody at Valve (in the last 4 years) on the Oculus support in SteamVR team actually used a CV1? 
    How about native Oculus support? Can you start the game from Oculus Home without starting SteamVR? (Yeah, I know, what are the odds...)
    No native Oculus support, it's purely a SteamVR game. Sadly, because SteamVR's setup is crap. This morning it wouldn't let me start Alyx because my 2080TI didn't have enough GPU ram to play it. I rebooted, tried again, and the coordinate system was way off (had me standing over 2m to the right of the origin). It took multiple calibrations to try to get the damn thing lined up the way I wanted. (If this was a native oculus game, I'd just do Reset View in Dash and it would have been fixed in seconds)

You can start it from Oculus Dash, but it will start SteamVR.
    I haven't tried OpenComposite yet.

That Ram message seems to be a bug. I get it 50% of the time and it goes away on its own and comes back. I've checked my processes twice and nothing is different lol.

SteamVR is pretty much just a hack for Oculus headsets but at least it's playable. I was actually kind of surprised at how well it ran in my CV1. I've had a lot of games on Steam with terrible performance.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited March 24
    Zenbane said:
    Dang! Oculus needs to hurry with an HMD that rivals the Reverb!

That would be an instant buy for me. I'm fed up waiting for one when the tech is already available.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,208 Valuable Player
    edited March 25
    RuneSR2 said:
    Some say hard isn't really hard, but should have been the normal setting. I've died once, but that was because I jumped in a hole and hadn't seen the spikes, lol - so not yet died in combat, I too play on normal setting. 

I take it very slow too, because we might not see the next Half-Life game before 2035 ;)
    I think you'll find the combat appropriately challenging later on. Ammo conservation really factors in.

I took my time as well, really, looking everywhere for resin.

I'll deffo replay the game on hard some day, hopefully on another wireless HMD with better resolution. I'm gonna kill Jeff next time :lol:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,208 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    PewdiePie Round 2 on the Rift-S. I found this one fairly entertaining

Just skipped through some of it.. he actually paused and put subtitles on. Is there ANYTHING more immersion killing than that? :lol:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,865 Valuable Player
    edited March 25
    BREAKING ALYX NEWS  :D 

Alyx has just been updated - now smooth turning is supported!

(Hmmm, do I now need to start all over to get the full experience, lol - And @Shadowmask72 might be able to enjoy the game ;) )
    Half-Life: Alyx Update 1.1 released
    Changes:
    • Improved turning options in Preferences:
      - Added "Continuous Turn", and associated turning speed options.
      - Renamed "Quick turn" to "Snap Turn" to make its functionality clearer.
      - Added option to disable controller turning.
    • Improved hand-over-mouth pose usability for Windows MR controllers.
    • Improved the resolution of impact decals on enemies.
    • Improved automatic detection of default Quality settings for some machine configurations.
    • Fixed an issue where some sounds didn't play as intended.
    • Fixed an issue where the main menu could become less responsive if you had many save games.
    • Fixed several crashes.
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/546560/announcements/detail/2100307193365928745

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,108
    Wintermute
    Nice patch!
    Giving the option to switch out controller turning will make me  happy womble, and move about the map a in a manner a little less than one who has sampled too much Vodka found on their travels!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    RuneSR2 said:

(Hmmm, do I now need to start all over to get the full experience, lol - And @Shadowmask72 might be able to enjoy the game ;) )
    Changes:
    • Improved automatic detection of default Quality settings for some machine configurations.
    • Fixed an issue where the main menu could become less responsive if you had many save games.
    • Fixed several crashes.
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/546560/announcements/detail/2100307193365928745

Great patch, glad I'm playing through slow. I'm still in the 3rd act or whatever. Thrilled to finish with smooth turn.

edited March 25
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Changes:
    • Fixed several crashes.

Great patch, glad I'm playing through slow. I'm still in the 3rd act or whatever. Thrilled to finish with smooth turn.

Also in something like chapter 3, got the flashlight a few moments ago. Taking it slow - I think :-)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Wintermute
    Wildt said:
    The lack of smooth turning didn't bother me as I physically turn. Are you lazy bums playing seated? :lol:
    Is there any other way? ;)

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    edited March 25
    I guess we old, previously burnt and scared users  :# - who are afraid to update drivers - sometimes may have some advantages  o:)

For example great stories like this one  B)

New Nvidia driver update has ruined my steamVR

So I had played maybe 10 min of half life and it ran fairly well before I decide to update my driver. And now steam vr I a stuttery mess when I move my head. I get like 30 FPS in half life Alyx and it’s not as bad in home but it still stutters pretty consistently, any way for me to fix this?
    ttps://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fohlnz/new_nvidia_driver_update_has_ruined_my_steamvr/

I guess NASA does not update drivers just before the space shuttle is about to launch?  ;)

I guess most persons won't have issues, but beware - Alyx could be at stake - if it works great, don't try to further improve it. When Asgard's Wrath and Stormland launched, Nvidia launched new drivers with special support for these games. Several months later I updated my old dusty driver - and found no improvements whatsoever in both Stormland or Asgard's Warth (or none that I could measure or noticed). I take the need to update Nvidia drivers with a grain of salt - unless I do experience specific problems. 2c.

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,121 Volunteer Moderator
    Wildt said:
    The lack of smooth turning didn't bother me as I physically turn. Are you lazy bums playing seated? :lol:

Nope, standing. I just have a small area at the moment so I like to keep facing the same way.
  • gregor616gregor616 Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    RuneSR2 said:
    I guess we old, previously burnt and scared users  :# - who are afraid to update drivers - sometimes may have some advantages  o:)

For example great stories like this one  B)

New Nvidia driver update has ruined my steamVR

So I had played maybe 10 min of half life and it ran fairly well before I decide to update my driver. And now steam vr I a stuttery mess when I move my head. I get like 30 FPS in half life Alyx and it’s not as bad in home but it still stutters pretty consistently, any way for me to fix this?
    ttps://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fohlnz/new_nvidia_driver_update_has_ruined_my_steamvr/

I guess NASA does not update drivers just before the space shuttle is about to launch?  ;)

I guess most persons won't have issues, but beware - Alyx could be at stake - if it works great, don't try to further improve it. When Asgard's Wrath and Stormland launched, Nvidia launched new drivers with special support for these games. Several months later I updated my old dusty driver - and found no improvements whatsoever in both Stormland or Asgard's Warth (or none that I could measure or noticed). I take the need to update Nvidia drivers with a grain of salt - unless I do experience specific problems. 2c.
    I had the opposite, I was having terrible performance through Link, updated my drivers and now it runs great. 

Oculus Quest 
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard
    Wildt said:

Yep!

gregor616 said:
    I had the opposite, I was having terrible performance through Link, updated my drivers and now it runs great. 

Which drivers did you update?

gregor616 said:

I only recommend being careful if you already have great performance - if you have problems - like you did - of course you should update. 
    The driver issues I posted were from a dude using Index. 

Wildt said:
    RattyUK said:
    Wildt said:
    Is there any other way? ;)

It's apparently a better workout than I expected. All that loot searching in drawers, has you bending and crouching so much I lost 4 pounds! :lol:
    And that's despite eating quite heftily in the breaks during my two 6 hour Alyx sessions. I also had a brewskie or 5 the first day.

Huh, my back aches and I totally feel like a field worker, but I shall not give up as long as there's more resin to collect!!!  o:)

edited March 25
    I sense that a new giant first world problem is emerging: "How to best spend your resin". 

Might write a book about that, I think it'll sell really well.... Hmmm... 

edited March 25
    The number of reviews rating Alyx at 100% is still growing - two more reviews arrived today - and no, neither Lone Echo nor Asgard's Wrath achieved anything even remotely close such a number of top reviews:

Btw, as CGMagazine writes, Alyx surpasses Half-Life 2 - and I fully agree. There's really no comparison, but Half-Life 2 is 15 years old, if you start up Half-Life 2 today it probably will not at all be the quality you remember. Personally I think Alyx is the most impressive game I ever played - then probably come Stormland, Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath and Saints & Sinners. 

I think my problem with the Half Life series is that I really enjoyed the Black Mesa stuff. But after HL1 we're dealing with City 17 which I just don't find as interesting as a secret science facility.
    These kinds of settings (lots of exploring abandoned apartments with strange stuff going on) fits well into a game like Metro or Stalker, but I wanted more cool science stuff in HL.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,253 Volunteer Moderator
    Just played the first hour-and-a-half. Wow, this is really a nice looking game. Really great atmospheric lighting, and so much environmental detail. Feels like I’m really there in City 17–this is one of the most “real” feeling games I’ve played.

I'm playing it for now on my CV1, but I’ll try Quest Link next time and see how the visuals compare. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Wintermute
    edited March 25
    RuneSR2 said:
     if you start up Half-Life 2 today it probably will not at all be the quality you remember...
    I played through all of the HL2 series (again) in January, it is showing its age a little, but in 4K it still looks pretty good.  I'd guess I play all 3 episodes through every year or so, for me it just doesn't get 'old' even though I can remember most things it still holds my interest through the whole game.
    Alyx is an amazing progression, particularly how good it looks in VR, where I'm used to 'taking a hit' in resolution compared to pancake!

Rift S
    edited March 25
    kojack said:
    I think my problem with the Half Life series is that I really enjoyed the Black Mesa stuff. But after HL1 we're dealing with City 17 which I just don't find as interesting as a secret science facility.
    These kinds of settings (lots of exploring abandoned apartments with strange stuff going on) fits well into a game like Metro or Stalker, but I wanted more cool science stuff in HL.

Ha, I've actually said to myself half a dozen times that this feels like I'm in a Metro game in VR, especially with the limited ammo and scavenging and the russian or ukranian signs everywhere. I also preferred the Black Mesa scenery and enjoyed HL1 more than two. I played both at release and HL1 blew me away more at the time.
    That said Alyx is still amazing to me. It impresses me everytime I get back into it.
    Oddly it's more of a VR Metro than the actual VR game by the Metro creators: Arktika.1. :)

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,004 Valuable Player
    Yeah, it seemed to have a strong Metro vibe when watching all these playthroughs. Although even Doom Eternal feels like a Metro game. It seems to have become the gold standard for single player FPS campaigning. It's a winning formula.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Especially the north star hotel. That place is so Metro-like. Glowing mutant plants, spider enemies, corpses everywhere.

edited March 25
    kojack said:
    Oddly it's more of a VR Metro than the actual VR game by the Metro creators: Arktika.1. :)

Yea, that's how I feel too. I enjoyed Arktika.1 but felt like they missed the mark. I felt like 4A games are too creative and talented for that to be the results so I'm sure budget and time constraints played a role in that.

But here we are in 2020 and I finally have a Metro VR game set in the Half Life universe. Thanks Valve! :D

At least so far anyway, I'm only in chapter 4. Have been busy in real life so I'm just jumping in for short bursts here and there and I'm taking my time and being a competitionist and enjoying each room.