cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to be able to play Half Life?

papaANDloulou
Honored Guest
Hi all, new to the Oculus world but really want to play the new Half Life game. What do I need?  I can’t see it in the store.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Half Life Alyx is a Valve game, so you need to get it through Steam.
You can play it through Steam VR with either your Quest using Oculus Link, or a Rift if you have one.
You will not be able to play the game on stand alone Quest.

Kentobi
Heroic Explorer
Half Life Alyx is a SteamVR game, so you purchase the game through Steam. To play on a Quest, you also need a compatible USB 3 cable and a  capable PC that meets Alyx’s specifications. It’s not more technically complex than plugging the cable into your Quest and PC, but it can seem like a lot starting from scratch.  Do you own the headset? Do you have a cable? Do you have a good enough PC to run the game?

papaANDloulou
Honored Guest

Kentobi said: hi, first. Thank you!  

Yes, I have the Headset.  yes I have a pc that will work, no I don’t have a cable but I am sure those are available on Amazon...

thank you. Will set up soon!

Half Life Alyx is a SteamVR game, so you purchase the game through Steam. To play on a Quest, you also need a compatible USB 3 cable and a  capable PC that meets Alyx’s specifications. It’s not more technically complex than plugging the cable into your Quest and PC, but it can seem like a lot starting from scratch.  Do you own the headset? Do you have a cable? Do you have a good enough PC to run the game?

Kentobi
Heroic Explorer
There’s great threads on this forum and elsewhere that discuss cables that work. Make sure you’re getting the right cable - the official cable is best, but it’s expensive and not currently in stock. 

Mickman
Protege
I'm running the official cable .. is best and smooth as compared to others on the market.  fibre optic..  am running Alyx shortly.  on a PC laptop (GTX1070)