New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I MUST have Facebook account now?

DuxCroDuxCro Posts: 58
Hiro Protagonist
edited March 25 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
I used to visit other peoples homes in Oculus. Haven't done that in a while and tried to visit one of friends homes today. But i get a message i must log in with Facebook to use social features. Why?  What's next? No multiplayer at all in any game with MP component without FB account? Can't start a singleplayer game without FB account? I would still use FB if you weren't selling user info off to third parties.

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,023 Valuable Player
    Yes, unfortunately they didn't change their minds since the last time you posted about it.
  • DuxCroDuxCro Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    kojack said:

That post was about accepting friend requests. You couldn't do it from inside Vr. But you were able to visit other people homes without problem even if you didn't have a FB account. So if you want to  link my previous post, you could at least...you know....actually read it.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,155 Valuable Player
    edited March 26
    DuxCro said:
    That post was about accepting friend requests.

It was about this too:
    OR i can click on "link accounts." Which requires me to take off freakin headset and accept friend request on Facebook. W..T..F??? So i can't have any friends in VR because i must use your antisocial network?

You are clearly talking about using Facebook, the social network. Which you try to wittingly refer to as the "antisocial" network while you ironically use antisocial language.

if you want to  link my previous post, you could at least...you know....actually read it.

If you want to create a new thread, you could at least... you know... actually remember what you previously wrote.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DuxCroDuxCro Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist

Zenbane said:

if you want to  link my previous post, you could at least...you know....actually read it.

If you want to create a new thread, you could at least... you know... actually remember what you previously wrote.

Yet another idiot with no understanding of English language. Yet it is exactly people like you who will give out your private info so easily and then be the loudest when it gets misused.
    edited March 26
    DuxCro said:
    Yet another idiot with no understanding of English language.
    Accurate way to self-reflect. I concur with this description of yourself. ;)

Yet it is exactly people like you who will give out your private info so easily and then be the loudest when it gets misused.

So far, you're the loudest voice trying to protest a false sense of being misused.

As for me, I have several certifications in IT Security and know how to protect my private data. You should pursue something similar, as it will help you not overreact when situations like "Facebook Account Required" arise.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,716 Volunteer Moderator
    Friends need Facebook accounts to interact with each other, visiting homes of people who are friends is interacting with friends... which need a Facebook account. Requesting friends and accepting friends needs a Facebook account.. it all comes down to the same thing.

This thread is similar enough to your other thread which kojack linked, that it makes that link valid.

Also, insulting people  who disagree with you is not a good thing. I'll continue to monitor this thread... disagreeing with post is fine, insults aren't... that goes for everyone.

Bottom line is, instead of having an Oculus and a Facebook account, Facebook have moved all social features to requiring a Facebook account, that's it. You don't have to use a Facebook account for anything else... you don't have to share photos about what you've had for lunch... or how well your offspring have done since graduation... etc. etc.

Just share as much or as little as you want. I have a FB account but share nothing, there's zero effect on my privacy and security.

Unlike my phone provider who seems to have no control over number spoofing or cold calling. Or financial institutions who have (in one instance) allowed someone to set up a credit card in my name and transfer their debt onto it. Luckily I caught that quickly and it didn't affect my credit score or anything.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
  • gregor616gregor616 Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Zenbane
    Your responses crack me up. You don't sugar coat things. Love it.
    Oculus Quest 
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 523
    Neo
    @DaftnDirect

I have a FB account but share nothing, there's zero effect on my privacy and security.

Yes there is. You just don't realize it because you're not informed well enough. A number of people already proved that Facebook collects data from your device just from being logged in. It's stupid to deny that. Get informed, people....

But it's also stupid to think this is specific to Facebook. Data business is the foundation of the entire web industry. If you use tags on an image website, other image websites will know you like those tags before you even know about that website. My point is, if OP doesn't want their information to get collected, they shouldn't even be on that forum.

That said, I do hate the grip Facebook has on Oculus. Oculus had its own account system and it was working perfectly. Facebook got rid of it just because it wanted to tighten its grip on VR users, it's an undeniable fact.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    edited March 26
    I should clarify, I share no information that affects my security or privacy, as that's what's at the heart of this.

If you think that times that I'm logged in, or meta data about the device I'm using, is a security or privacy concern then I can't argue with that but I do disagree with it, and we have different opinions on what concerns are.

To put this into some sort of realistic context, I've had no security or privacy event during the time that I've had a FB account that could even remotely be attributable to having that account. I see other people who have what I would call events but they are attributed to what they chose to share about what they do, what their families do, what their friends do... photos shared, political or religious views... whatever, and those events involve their friend or family using that information to affect real life interactions in some way.

If my login times are useful to anyone, they're welcome. 

I don't think you should mistake different opinions on levels of risk with being informed or otherwise.

Edit: I presume the disagreement about having a Facebook account is because it's Facebook rather than about login times or device details and as such my post describes what the difference in having a FB or an Oculus account is... ... which is essentially all about what you chose to do with the Facebook account. Login times or device details is something that was already happening before Facebook accounts became a thing.

Edit 2: I'll butt out of the discussion and leave it to your guys as I'll probably be seen as biased being a mod.

Just discuss nicely please!! :)
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
    edited March 26

Yes there is. You just don't realize it because you're not informed well enough.

Extreme pot/kettle here.  A person is not informed well enough if that person is unable to figure out how to protect themselves from having their data mined by anyone. It's not just Facebook who collects this information about individuals. Facebook buys information about you from other organizations who also collect/mine information about you.

A number of people already proved that Facebook collects data from your device just from being logged in. It's stupid to deny that. Get informed, people....

All companies collect data about you when you install their apps on your computer. If you are using an Oculus product then Facebook was already collecting information about you. Having a FB Account linked isn't giving Facebook "more access" than they already had.

Lastly, one should first get fully informed before instructing others to get informed.

;)

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 390
    Trinity
    And STILL it's too much to require anyone, old or new customers, to either link Oculus to Facebook or to make an totally new account to Facebook to get social features to work on Oculus. It's a bit double standard from Facebook to say that they want VR to be made mainstream with social features when the only way to be social with Oculus natively is to use/make Facebook account and use it. Point is, those social features worked before this FB forcing cancer.

"Oh no, the Facebook Horizon doesn't work without Facebook account!!11 How can we ever live without it?" How about making Horizon so that one can log into it with Facebook credentials if one wants to use it and return the basic social features (friends, visiting Homes) to be used with the Oculus account. 
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
    Netheri said:
    Point is, those social features worked before this FB forcing cancer.

That's a terrible inaccuracy considering the impact that cancer truly has on the world. Heck, I would say that misinformed posts on the Internet are much closer to a cancer analogy that Facebook's social media application.

Regardless, this debate has been had many times on this forum. And it is already understood that it makes more sense for Oculus to use an established social platform (e.g. Facebook) as opposed to using/supporting multiple platforms. You were in those previous discussions as well,

...so no need to rehash the exact same debate here.

Besides, didn't you already post that you were "changing camps" and leaving Oculus?
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/729416/#Comment_729416

There are some really great competitor headsets available that rival the Oculus HMD's. The Index and Reverb are top notch. Some people have chosen to invest in those and move on. Others invest in them but remain on this forum as valued contributors. While a small number claim that they are moving on, but choose to remain on this forum solely for the purpose of antagonizing. I never understood the reasoning behind that. The cancer analogy comes to mind again here.
  • jabjab Posts: 237
    Nexus 6
    edited March 26
    @DaftnDirect

I have a FB account but share nothing, there's zero effect on my privacy and security.

Yes there is. You just don't realize it because you're not informed well enough. A number of people already proved that Facebook collects data from your device just from being logged in. It's stupid to deny that. Get informed, people....
    Indeed, I have a FB account because I have to for some organizing reasons, and I make a point of having as little personal information as possible in that account and use the web site only (no phone app). And judging from the interest groups and ads they try to push on me, they are definitively scraping information outside what I do inside the actual FB page.

And ironically for me it is a good thing that home friends now requires an FB account. Because it means that as long as I don't give then access to FB, I won't have to worry about unwanted 'social' features creeping into my VR sessions.
    So as long as FB is not required to actually play games, it's all good.. for now..
    edited March 26
    jab said:
    And judging from the interest groups and ads they try to push on me, they are definitively scraping information outside what I do inside the actual FB page only.

They buy it from other organizations. I'm not sure why people dismiss this fact so quickly and easily.

If you have Amazon Alexa, for example, and ask Alexa about buying a new solar powered vehicle, then chances are you'll see an Ad about this on Facebook within 24 hours. Why? Because Amazon shares that information with Facebook. It's been happening for years:

Yet where is the outrage against Amazon?

Facebook has maintained data sharing relationships with many other organizations, including Microsoft, Apple, Netflix, and Spotify.

So even if you own a WMR Headset, with zero Oculus software/hardware on your system, Facebook still has data about you that Microsoft is sharing.

Thus, all of these angry rants against Facebook are highly misplaced.
    Trinity
    Yes i'm changing the camp as soon as i can, don't worry. 
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Netheri said:
    Yes i'm changing the camp as soon as i can, don't worry. 

It's not that hard, the other camps have forums too. Usually takes 2-3 minutes to sign up. Reddit, for example, as a forum for every VR camp available. FYI.
    Trinity
    I don't need your advice for anything, thank you. 
    edited March 26
    Netheri said:
    I don't need your advice for anything, thank you. 
    You said "as soon as I can," which seems a proper time to give advice since there isn't much of a barrier to switching online communities. If you can log in to this community then you can log in to another. I'm not telling you to leave, of course, I just noted that you said you were leaving last February. Now we're almost in April and you've remained with a heavy focus on being highly negative against Oculus and Facebook.

Seems that advice and guidance is appropriate here.
    <3
    Trinity
    I also said just before that:

"yeah. I think my rig could hadle at least the Index but i think i'll wait the 2nd gen, unless the CV1 goes boom and i couldn't manage to get used spare. In that case i guess i need to get some 1.5 gen. I also think that on 2nd gen we will get more clarity, and at least index-like resolution as a standard but with eye tracking, eye related foveated rendering, so it _should_ require less from the PC rig? Also, i don't like the controllers of S and Q, they seem to be less accurate than CV1's and i hope that on the next gen of inside out tracking HMDs there will be also a tracking cams on controllers them selves. That way they at least could be more precise." 

But as that doesn't suit your means i guess you didn't ever even bothered to read that. 

Also, i don't need you for refresh my memory. Also your opinions about "as soon as i can" aren't my opinions.

Netheri said:
    I also said just before that:

We've all said many things before the last thing we said. That's kinda how time works, moving forward n' such! lol

After all is said and done, you did say on Feb. 5th that you were leaving Oculus, yet you remain with negative intent.

Also your opinions about "as soon as i can" aren't my opinions.

Can vs Can't isn't an opinion, it's a matter of fact. If you can physically log in to this forum to say negative things about Facebook and Oculus after you physically logged in to say you were leaving Oculus, then you can physically log in to another forum that contains your preferred community.

Trinity
    Yeah, you should also remember that, when you refer to the past, that others can do that too, right?

Also, others DO go forward and on some point _they themselves choose_ and leave products and manufacturers who ignore them behind. ;) 

Yes. I am leaving Oculus when the time is right, not when YOU think i should leave. Like it or not, i make my own decisions also on this matter, i don't need your childish word twisting for it. As long as i have Oculus as hardware, i'll be here on this forums, and maybe just to annoy you i might come here even after that. And there's _nothing_ you can do to prevent that either. :D

Netheri said:
    Yeah, you should also remember that, when you refer to the past, that others can do that too, right?
    Nothing in our conversation suggests otherwise. Seems like a red herring to the issue at hand.

Also, others DO go forward and on some point _they themselves choose_ and leave products and manufacturers who ignore them behind.

Yep. I've seen members of this forum openly state they they are leaving Oculus. And then they do. Then there's those who say they will, but they remain with negative intent. You currently fall in to this category.

Yes. I am leaving Oculus when the time is right, not when YOU think i should leave.

I never said that I think you should leave. I showed that on Feb 5 you said you were leaving, and now it's March 26th and you're still here voicing negativity about Oculus and Facebook. Clearly you are unhappy and have the intent to leave. You may never feel that the time is right since your intent is to voice negativity. And I'll be here to help you address your dilemma.
    <3

i don't need your childish word twisting for it.

Pot/Kettle. It is childish to say publicly, over a month ago, that you are leaving and then remain to continue with public ridicule.

As long as i have Oculus as hardware, i'll be here on this forums,

You would not be the first anti-Oculus resident of this community who uses the fact that they own an Oculus product as the reason that they remain on the forum with the sole intent of negativity. At least one person was perma-banned for this type of unusual behavior. And they still return regularly under pseudo accounts. Very odd behavior imo.

maybe just to annoy you i might come here even after that. And there's _nothing_ you can do to prevent that either.

I am not trying to prevent anything at all. We can do this dance for as long as you like. Unlike you, I'm happy with my products and this community.

B)

Trinity
    I'm not anti-oculus. I'm anti-mandatory Facebook account policy as it's not really needed to use social features.  Also annoyed that Oculus doesn't fix or know how to fix certain bugs in their software.  Also, i'm anti-white knight and anti-narcistic person. Also, you can whine as much as you want to but i'm doing things also in the future like i want, not like you would want. 

@DaftnDirect now if you would, could you take this valuable player of my back, as all he/she/it wants is to fight against the facts and try to pressure people on the forum to leave them as this valuable player can't handle the criticism towards Facebook? 
    edited March 26
    Netheri said:
    I'm not anti-oculus.
    When you say so much of the negative things you've said while also saying on the Oculus forum that you are leaving Oculus, then you certainly come off as anti-Oculus.

I mean, you did just confess that you will continue to stay on this forum for the wrong reasons:
    "'ll be here on this forums, and maybe just to annoy you i might come here even after that."

Netheri said:
    @DaftnDirect now if you would, could you take this valuable player of my back, as all he/she/it wants is to fight against the facts and try to pressure people on the forum to leave them as this valuable player can't handle the criticism towards Facebook? 

For clarity:
    • I'm not pressuring you to leave at all, I'm asking why you remain with such negativity after you publicly stated voluntarily that you were leaving.
    • Regarding forum rules, so far it is you who are making personal attacks with such statements as:
      "i don't need your childish word twisting for it."
    I'm happy to have a civil discussion about this, but you seem more interested in lashing out personally. You may want to edit your posts if you're going to call the Mods in to mediate.
    OK enough.

I asked that you all discuss nicely but straight afterwards, personal insults. The forum rules are not difficult to understand and yet the words idiot, childish, it, being used to describe posters get used without seeming to care.

Privacy is important and I get why people feel enthusiastic about the subject, but good behaviour is also important, arguably more so as it seems to break down at the least provocation for some people.

It's not default to put an argument forward by discussing the subject, not the poster in a way that is insulting.

The forum isn't a free-for-all, the rules get enforced. The next personal insult will result in a warning.