New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Halflife Alyx - extreme jitter on 2080 TI, Rift-S, 32GB RAM, I7-6850k

LirezhLirezh Posts: 44
Brain Burst
edited March 23 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
I've restarted PC, updated drivers, kept everything down to minimum.
No matter what I do, as soon as I make any lateral movements with my head the environment jitters strongly.

I am kinda at max spec, is this missing support for Oculus HMDs ?`
Anyone an idea ?

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,138 Valuable Player
    I think your cpu is not very well spec'd compared to the rest of your components (although I don't know what speed your 32Gb ram is?).  A better cpu like an i7 9700 (with a cooler) would help you get the best out of your expensive 2080ti gpu imho.  Sorry I cannot comment with regards to HLAlyx since I do not have this yet.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• AekeroAekero Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Works great on my rift s with a 1080, 7700k. Running with default graphics settings, looks awesome and no jitter.

You could try running the Oculus Dev tool while you're running alyx, or if that doesn't work because of steam vr, just open task manager. Obviously your gpu is more than adequate but you'll be able to see if your CPU is pegged while turning.
  • tatuntstatunts Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    edited March 26
    Hey guys! Terrible performance here with an i7 4790k, 16gb DDR3 1866, RTX 2080 ti. Stuttering and high frame times makes this great game unplayable with headroom still available :(

Video showing the issue:

https://gfycat.com/thoughtfulinsignificantcrownofthornsstarfish

Full Reddit post with detailed information and other videos:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/fgxe8k/huge_performance_issues_playing_games_in_steamvr/
  • loui100loui100 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    edited March 26
    Lirezh said:
    No matter what I do, as soon as I make any lateral movements with my head the environment jitters strongly.

Anyone an idea ?
    I've been going crazy with a similar problem myself over the last 3 days. Eventually turned off the PTC beta in Oculus app _and_ used the Repair option in Oculus Setup. I think it's the v15 software that's causing the issue with Half Life Alyx. Now that I reverted to v14, it's running smooth as butter now for me (I'm on Oculus Quest Link).
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    There were some posts I believe on Steam where this was discussed. At least for some, it starts to occur after a loading sequence and is some sort of memory dump. Steam is going to release an update to address it but the update is available now if you install SteamVR Beta. You can do this by browsing your Steam library (make sure tools aren't hidden) and find the SteamVR app. Right click and go to properties and opt into the beta.

Consider yourself lucky. Some of us (I think with certain Mobos) get this kind of stuttering with high headroom on literally everything. Oculus has been trying to fix it since December.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,410 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 26
    loui100 said:
    I think it's the v15 software that's causing the issue with Half Life Alyx. Now that I reverted to v14, it's running smooth as butter now for me (I'm on Oculus Quest Link).
    I'm on the v15 PTC and both my CV1 and Rift-S are working great with Alyx. I haven't tried my Quest yet though.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,304 Valuable Player
    Also try to use Low Fidelity in Alyx and the latest Alyx-optimized drivers from Nvidia in case of bad performance. - And v15 PTC might also be a great idea like @kojack wrote.
    Note that some have complained about low performance and stuttering using the latedt Nvidia drivers, so if you're already using these drivers, try to install an older driver.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 348
    Trinity
    v15 PTC plus latest Nvidia drivers here and Alyx is running smooth and sweet :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • tatuntstatunts Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Specs please? Thanks. 
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 348
    Trinity
    tatunts said:
    Specs please? Thanks. 
    in my sig :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,174
    Wintermute
    Likewise, Alyx has been a dream not only to play but in stable performance also for me.
    I will take a look at it on my laptop soon, to see if that collapses under the strain, but it does appear that Valve have optimised Alyx very well.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • Pivot2163Pivot2163 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited March 27
    Lirezh said:

Anyone an idea ?
    I have almost the exact same setup though the 2070 and I don't see any jitter. I have the HLA settings one notch from max in pref's too. I think you have something else going on while you play. I have the same CPU running at 3.9GHz and it handles fine on HLA. I'd run the App and open Task Manager to see what's being maxed out and see what is doing it. Good luck.
  • magnum2107magnum2107 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Rift S, 2080ti, 6700k, 32 gb ram. I get notices when I start that I have low memory. In outdoor areas the game stutters terribly when using smooth locomotion, whether on min or max settings. No noticeable jitters if I use teleport but I don't want to play that way. I've been having to drop my resolution to 60% to play smoothly in outdoor areas. I can keep it at 100% for indoor areas. Definitely a bummer. I had been in the PTC but I just left it and reverted back and will see how it performs when I try to play tomorrow.
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 745
    Trinity
    Whats the rest of the pc specs ?
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.