cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halflife Alyx - extreme jitter on 2080 TI, Rift-S, 32GB RAM, I7-6850k

Lirezh
Explorer
I've restarted PC, updated drivers, kept everything down to minimum.
No matter what I do, as soon as I make any lateral movements with my head the environment jitters strongly.

I am kinda at max spec, is this missing support for Oculus HMDs ?`
Anyone an idea ?
14 REPLIES 14

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I think your cpu is not very well spec'd compared to the rest of your components (although I don't know what speed your 32Gb ram is?).  A better cpu like an i7 9700 (with a cooler) would help you get the best out of your expensive 2080ti gpu imho.  Sorry I cannot comment with regards to HLAlyx since I do not have this yet.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Aekero
Heroic Explorer
Works great on my rift s with a 1080, 7700k. Running with default graphics settings, looks awesome and no jitter.

You could try running the Oculus Dev tool while you're running alyx, or if that doesn't work because of steam vr, just open task manager. Obviously your gpu is more than adequate but you'll be able to see if your CPU is pegged while turning.

ASchneiderBR
Protege
Hey guys! Terrible performance here with an i7 4790k, 16gb DDR3 1866, RTX 2080 ti. Stuttering and high frame times makes this great game unplayable with headroom still available 😞

Video showing the issue:

https://gfycat.com/thoughtfulinsignificantcrownofthornsstarfish

Full Reddit post with detailed information and other videos:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/fgxe8k/huge_performance_issues_playing_games_in_steamvr/

loui100
Protege

Lirezh said:

I've restarted PC, updated drivers, kept everything down to minimum.
No matter what I do, as soon as I make any lateral movements with my head the environment jitters strongly.

I am kinda at max spec, is this missing support for Oculus HMDs ?`
Anyone an idea ?

I've been going crazy with a similar problem myself over the last 3 days. Eventually turned off the PTC beta in Oculus app _and_ used the Repair option in Oculus Setup. I think it's the v15 software that's causing the issue with Half Life Alyx. Now that I reverted to v14, it's running smooth as butter now for me (I'm on Oculus Quest Link).

Anonymous
Not applicable
There were some posts I believe on Steam where this was discussed. At least for some, it starts to occur after a loading sequence and is some sort of memory dump. Steam is going to release an update to address it but the update is available now if you install SteamVR Beta. You can do this by browsing your Steam library (make sure tools aren't hidden) and find the SteamVR app. Right click and go to properties and opt into the beta.

Consider yourself lucky. Some of us (I think with certain Mobos) get this kind of stuttering with high headroom on literally everything. Oculus has been trying to fix it since December.

kojack
MVP
MVP

loui100 said:

I think it's the v15 software that's causing the issue with Half Life Alyx. Now that I reverted to v14, it's running smooth as butter now for me (I'm on Oculus Quest Link).

I'm on the v15 PTC and both my CV1 and Rift-S are working great with Alyx. I haven't tried my Quest yet though.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Also try to use Low Fidelity in Alyx and the latest Alyx-optimized drivers from Nvidia in case of bad performance. - And v15 PTC might also be a great idea like @kojack wrote.
Note that some have complained about low performance and stuttering using the latedt Nvidia drivers, so if you're already using these drivers, try to install an older driver.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

lensmandave
Superstar
v15 PTC plus latest Nvidia drivers here and Alyx is running smooth and sweet 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

ASchneiderBR
Protege

v15 PTC plus latest Nvidia drivers here and Alyx is running smooth and sweet 🙂

Specs please? Thanks.