cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link, Is beta or Minimum Specs necessary to initiate connection

Jamester023
Explorer
I can't get Oculus quest to work, I believe the connection is okay because I have transferred media, and used Sidequest to sideload successfully. I was wondering whether the error banner that appears because I'm using a non-gaming laptop is blocking the set up. I have tried initiating the setup from the oculus PC app and from the headset. I was also wondering if you need to opt into either the headset or PC betas.
6 REPLIES 6

Kentobi
Heroic Explorer
You don’t need to be in either beta at this point. Are you sure you have a good 3.0 cable? You should see the prompt in the headset if it’s plugged in properly. 

enigma01
Trustee
What are the specs of your laptop? Do they meet the requirements for Link.?

Jamester023
Explorer
My Laptop absolutely does not meet the specs, it's an integrated GPU. I'm using the original cable from the quest box and plugging into what I believe to be a 3.0usb-c port, it worked for sidequest and exporting files onto the laptop (although I can't transfer media when it is in developer mode, I guess that's normal). I've opened a support ticket and they asked for log files. Thank you for you time, I don't mind if you ignore me because I'm a stubborn idiot trying to use link with a laptop.

enigma01
Trustee
Two major reasons why Link won’t work for you.

1. It needs a USB 3.0 cable, the USB cable supplied with the Quest for charging etc is only USB 2.0. There is no way Link will work with that.

2. Its highly unlikely Link will work with a PC that doesn’t meet requirements. Oculus whitelist compatible GPUs etc via the Rift software. So if it detects something isn’t supported you may not even be able to run initial setup. Even if you did get Link working with an integrated GPU the performance would likely be very poor and not a good visual experience. 

Jamester023
Explorer
Thanks for your help, I really should have checked the details on the standard cable, instead of assuming it was good enough!

Jamester023
Explorer
Talked to Oculus support in case anyone else has the same question, I can confirm:
a) In the box charging cable is 2.0, a 3.0+ cable is needed to render
b) If your PC/GPU is incompatible, I was told the software and no oculus games will work

However in the future I may attempt to test low spec Steam VR games.
Virtual desktop is worth a look