cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Life: Alyx

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer

I am really looking forward to this. Sure it isn't Half Life 3 but it's something huge for VR.
911 REPLIES 911

Wildt
Consultant

kojack said:

So far only one bit has startled me enough to make me spin around and fire instinctively, but it turned out:
it was Russell's drone back alive and it came in the room behind me and made a noise. Got a good hit on it too.

Yeah, that one got me good too, although I actually managed to withhold firing. 🙂

Another scare was opening a cupboard or sommat where one of those mannequin dummies fell out :lol:

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

pyroth309
Visionary
Forgot to mention another thing about chapter 5 i believe it is.

The amount of detail they put into the game is impressive. In one part in the hotel area when you're trying to get up to the top i think it is...everytime that burst of energy fires all of the alien plants/flora shudder and shake with it. Just a little bit of icing on the cake and is impressive to me. These last 2 levels have kind of lost the Metro Vibe for me, became more sci fi again. Hoping to work on 6 and maybe 7 sometime today.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Just finished Chapter 4 and 5.

I had to chuckle at the situation because I was hauling around a crate of like 20 grenades in a crate in chapter 4 somewhere and chucking them out bomberman style. Combine? Grenade for you. Zombies? Grenade for you. Headcrab? Yep grenades. On another note, the spores in chapter 5 look incredible. Hell everything does in the hotel. So did the lightning from the lightning dogs tbh lol.

I just saw that my save game said chapter 4 instead of 3 - am I moving too fast?  :# 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Played some more last night, the game is really brilliant, so realistic. Hope they continue to smooth out the free location but I am getting used to it.

Yeah, me too, like Kennedy once said: "Ich bin ein Right-hander"  B)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

MowTin
Expert Trustee

pyroth309 said:

Forgot to mention another thing about chapter 5 i believe it is. 

Yep, I love that bit of polish. The lighting and electricity look amazing. The "electric dog" is such a great horror enemy. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

MowTin
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

I had a feeling those would affect people.
They've really turned an action shooter series with a little bit of scares into survival horror.

I've got mixed feelings on that. On the one hand, that seems to be limiting the audience. I can imagine a lot of newcomers to VR not being able to get past some of the headcrab / zombie scenes (and definitely not something later).
But on the other hand, horror is probably the most intense and immersive VR experience. If you want to make people truly experience how much better VR is than flat gaming, scare the shit out of them.

Yeah, I do feel there are people who won't be able to get through some of these sections. You're basically in the dark with a gun surrounded by large black spiders. But for those who can manage, it's thrilling. 

After getting the machine gun and seeing how great if feels, I do wish it had more shooter sections. I'd love to have 20 magazines and deal with an onslaught of combine soldiers. I'm not at the end yet so I don't know if that happens at some point. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I have to say one big negative is the inventory system. I can't carry grenades or magazine clips for the machine gun. It's really frustrating. Sometimes I carry an extra grenade in my free hand then I come across a ladder and I have to leave it. Also, no virtual holsters is also a strange omission. Those have been in games for a long time. Even as far back as From Other Suns. 

I"m hoping modders create a version with an S&S type backpack and some virtual holsters. Throw more enemies at you to increase the shooter aspect. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The fact that this can now be Modded is awesome! Can't wait to see what gets created.

kojack
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

I can't carry grenades or magazine clips for the machine gun.

You can carry machine gun magazines, the same way as the other guns.
Grenades are annoying, especially when you realise the grenade launcher attachment just uses the normal hand grenades and not a custom ammo that is backpack compatible.

I'm on chapter 10 now with 13 hours, so that's pretty on track with the estimates.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Alyx currently sold more than 500k copies (ok, some of us got it for free):

gl07htr8rgzt.jpg