New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

NOT WORKING PRODUCT, DO NOT BUY

JonniinaJonniina Posts: 3
NerveGear
I have been working MANY hours with oculus chat try to fix my rift s or oculus crashing program itself. There have been several times, when oculus program itself, cannot be restarted, freezes to still, crashes down or just keeps circulating same stupid problems around and around like now this last time. Rift s cannot connect USB, try different USB. Cannot find display port, please restart. Connecting both of those in several different ports, just do the same. Waited 3 weeks for new drivers, the same problem continues. Unistalled whole oculus program AGAIN and installed it again, the same. NOW they tell me to uninstall it in safe mode and loose all my games and saved games data. AND THIS IS THE SECOND TIME i´m fooling with this and after many hours of doing so, and loosing tenths of hours games, they say: sorry, it is the only way. (need to say here thou, the chat customer service people itself were nice people, and were doing their best to help.)

Well, i guess, there should be some kind of compensate for my many hours doing something, i am not supposed to. Gift card, partial money refund or something, but no. You just loose all, because we did hire some idiots to do the programming part here.

Quess first several hours of fooling with this s*#%t was just fine, but now when this whole sircus goes around and around again and again, there should really be something else to do than: problem is yours, we are sorry.

Also many problems occured, what i was able to fix by myself without any help, but complete amount of hours, fighting with not working / crashing program and product here is massive.

NOT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE OCULUS, NOT GOOD AT ALL!

Comments

• cmaffia2019cmaffia2019 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Obviously its you and your setup.  Are we to believe that your SINGLE negative experience (which is more than likely related to an issue or incompatibility with your PC) is a blemish on otherwise excellent company and product??
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,172
    Wintermute
    You did check that your PC was going to be up for the job before spending your money?  Laptops in particular can be problematic...  but then, a low-spec desktop, perhaps a few years old might also present difficulties.
    I've had no issues (well, none critical) with either my desktop or laptop...
    Sorry you were not so fortunate.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 390
    Trinity
    @adam.poole.313 One of the "best" solutions which are offered constantly is to re-install Windows. :D

Re-installing Windows when everything else than Oculus software or hardware are the only things not working right? :D

Even after you're done everything they've told and even more, they say that they don't have to tell you what file or how user account is corrupted as they claim as they don't _know_ what is the problem. I mean..if the support person doesn't _know_ what is wrong, why don't they forward the case to developers? I think that should be their job? 
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
  • jabjab Posts: 234
    Nexus 6
    edited March 12
    Oculus has a long history (since day one) with USB compatibility problems that none else making USB devices seem to have (to this degree).
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 678
    Trinity
    I have had nothing but a good experience, both Rift S and Quest - even Link.  I don't like the software updating on me all the time, but they have not broken anything yet !  
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 15, Quest Version 15
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • cmaffia2019cmaffia2019 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Obviously its you and your setup.  Are we to believe that your SINGLE negative experience (which is more than likely related to an issue or incompatibility with your PC) is a blemish on otherwise excellent company and product??
    I know plenty of people have flawless performance with their CV1/RiftS/Quest but come on don't be patronizing when the issues he is talking about are known compatibility issues that Oculus has admitted and is actively trying to fix through a software update. The USB disconnect issue is widely known and a major problem for alot of people so while its ok to praise Oculus for your positive experience its unfair to blame him for his negative one because he is not even close to being alone on this. I am one of those people that have spent more time trying to get my Rift S to work than I have spent playing it and the tech in my support ticket is admitting at least to me that the problem is on their end not mine. Their proposed solution remains for me to just continue waiting for an update even though I have been waiting for three months now and seen 4 new public driver releases without a fix. Some of us have good reason to complain.
    Maybe you missed the obnoxious title of his thread "DO NOT BUY".....sorry no free pass for this dude.
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 518
    Neo
    Jonniina said:
    I have been working MANY hours with oculus chat try to fix my rift s or oculus crashing program itself. There have been several times, when oculus program itself, cannot be restarted, freezes to still, crashes down or just keeps circulating same stupid problems around and around like now this last time. Rift s cannot connect USB, try different USB. Cannot find display port, please restart. Connecting both of those in several different ports, just do the same. Waited 3 weeks for new drivers, the same problem continues. Unistalled whole oculus program AGAIN and installed it again, the same. NOW they tell me to uninstall it in safe mode and loose all my games and saved games data. AND THIS IS THE SECOND TIME i´m fooling with this and after many hours of doing so, and loosing tenths of hours games, they say: sorry, it is the only way. (need to say here thou, the chat customer service people itself were nice people, and were doing their best to help.)

Well, i guess, there should be some kind of compensate for my many hours doing something, i am not supposed to. Gift card, partial money refund or something, but no. You just loose all, because we did hire some idiots to do the programming part here.

Quess first several hours of fooling with this s*#%t was just fine, but now when this whole sircus goes around and around again and again, there should really be something else to do than: problem is yours, we are sorry.

Also many problems occured, what i was able to fix by myself without any help, but complete amount of hours, fighting with not working / crashing program and product here is massive.

NOT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE OCULUS, NOT GOOD AT ALL!

list your system specs for us to help us get a better understanding of your situation. If you have a desktop you can use the link in my signature to get a card that has USB ports that will work for you. A lot of PC’s have incompatible USB ports. Even though they should work, they do not work. Anyways, list your specs, and we can help you out.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,121 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    There can definitely be reasons to complain when things go wrong. People need a bit a tolerance for those not having a good time with their expensive VR purchase.

But on the other hand a new user joining the forum and their first post is yelling to not buy oculus products and calling the developers idiots is going to result in a lot less sympathy for their situation.

Ya, kinda makes you want to change the title from;

NOT WORKING PRODUCT, DO NOT BUY, to;

THIS THREAD IS NOT WORTH READING, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• VR2018FRVR2018FR Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist

Same  problem with usb and diisplay port not detected forr 3 months now ,  and i'am  not the only one  with  that kind of troubles !  and oculus  claims everytime i send  them my diagnostics's files  they can't open it !   shitty  hardware, shitty customer  service , He's  100% right : DO NOT BUY !
  • SRSBZNZSRSBZNZ Posts: 12
    Brain Burst
    I really hope this was satire. 
  • Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 113
    Art3mis
    Nope the cv1 was far better in a sense. but now it seems they are purposely trying to brick the rift s since their baby is the quest and I am sorry but I am not buying a standalone headset when i want to play on my pc, the link is just as bad and has plenty of lag. so why do you all keep breaking shit with each patch?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,701 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 27
    Lets try and keep this thread sensible (despite the click-bait title).

Oculus aren't trying to brick anything, any problems related to the Rift, or any other hardware plugged into a PC can be attributed to either that hardware, its software or the PC and the multitude of hardware and software combinations installed on that PC.

Determining the likelihood of it being a Rift or PC related problem can be estimated by the number of people reporting that problem, against the total number of people using the hardware without that problem.

Forums will inevitably have threads discussing problems, that's one of the functions of a forum but getting into hyperbole about how many people have a problem or conspiracy theories about reasons won't contribute in a useful way and just serves to bait aggressive responses.

Submitting logs to support is recommended and if they say the logs point to an issue with the PC... they may be right.

In any event, the best way to discuss a problem on any forum is to describe the problem in as much detail as possible, post all of your specs including OS version and drivers, and above all, try not to get too excited.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • JonniinaJonniina Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have contacted with oculus multiple times. They did take my fault and crash history. (also with this particular case) They also admitted, that THIS IS KNOWN ISSUE and i am not alone with this, like it or not, all you non believers. Also they did say and these are their words exactly: "We know there are group of people, who have this issue and we do not have way to fix this at the moment. You just have to wait new updates, and maybe we can come up with the fix after some time" 

So, as much as i am concerned, i cannot be blamed about this. In the crash history, they do have all my computer specs there and never said anything about it being not compatible and also all drivers are up to date. And as i say before, this is not first "try to get oculus working, wait our e-mail response and please have this ticket number and try all these multiple steps" kind of situations.

As much as goes about "crying here is this dudes first post" topic, i really fail to see why ask help here, since they do have perfectly working chat for that. And also was i supposed to write here before this some messages like: "oculus rift s is great product and oculus home is greatly coded program" even thou my personal experiences are one of worst i have ever had with any single product???

What comes with my computer, I did have normal rift before this rift s. Normal rift worked fine. Almost always. Few crashes and some calibration problems, what were easily fixed by doing re calibration or restarting windows. Rift s have worked, hmm, let me see... never. Always some kind of problem. And i do have computer which is much more than capable of handling a oculus products. Any of them.

And before the "try different display ports" or "try different USB:s" conversation starts, i can tell you, i have tried four different display ports and eight different high speed usb 3.0 ports. And that also should answer the question, no i do not have a laptop. Still problem never chances.

And what is creative conversation and staying in topic?? Thanks for "this crying dude" kind of feedback, there you can perfectly see how things are done. Also, if i haven´t find out already, is my computer capable of handling the oculus product, or if my usb port would be broken and it would fix the problem, i quess i would have made completely fool of myself, now haven´t i?

Before "crying dude" cannot even write english correctly conversation starts, i am truly sorry about that. It is not my native language. It does seem that some people here might find it necessary to point also it out, even thou i find it little bit off topic.

So being said, sometimes the "crying dude" might just be right and have a bad product and bad experience about it. Just trying to warn other peoples here, that rift s is nice product when working, but you might really have a big bag full or problems if you are unlucky and buy one. And what goes definition about bad product, at least my opinion is, even thou if they have had way to fix the problem right this instant (which they completely did not have) i have spent so many hours already playing with this badly developed product (completely caused by not me or by my computer) that it would still be bad product, even if it would work now, which it totally don´t.
    edited March 16
    It's not that I don't believe you (I can't speak for anyone else) but the reason for my comment was to try and make the point that it's good to keep a sense of proportion.

In this case it's a sense of proportion as to how many are affected by a particular problem and that can be guessed at by the number of people reporting the problem over the number of people using the Rift.

My other point was that exaggerating any problem by telling everyone not to buy ...or by saying Oculus are doing it deliberately (as the previous poster said) isn't contributing to the thread in a useful way and will just likely cause other forum members to respond in an overly vociferous way... if that's the point of some of the comments, than that's not good. It'll just end with the usual arguments and aggression and a possible thread closure, which is always a bit of a failure in my view. 
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • StreamofConsciousStreamofConscious Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    RattyUK said:
    You did check that your PC was going to be up for the job before spending your money?  Laptops in particular can be problematic...  but then, a low-spec desktop, perhaps a few years old might also present difficulties.
    Why do you seem to have a mission to visit everybody who is having problems to tell them that you don't have any problems and then berate them for the experience they are having? News flash....there are many people having many issues with oculus software since they tried to combine everything into one giant package. So, if you don't have anything to say other than, "I don't have any issues" then perhaps your input is not needed?
    Wintermute
    edited March 16
    RattyUK said:
    Why do you seem to have a mission to visit everybody who is having problems to tell them that you don't have any problems and then berate them for the experience they are having? News flash....there are many people having many issues with oculus software since they tried to combine everything into one giant package. So, if you don't have anything to say other than, "I don't have any issues" then perhaps your input is not needed?

Try reading what was written - then perhaps consider your own input - I do enjoy folk getting salty when they don't like my comments, usually as they are unable to read past the "I don't..."

I'll add my input whenever I wish - even more if it receives such a warm welcome :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    OK lets avoid comments that just attack posters.... that applies to everyone, whichever side of the argument any of you are on.

This thread was a bit toxic from the start but like I said, closing it is not my first choice, so any posts from this point onwards that just attack any other poster will likely result in a warning.

If anyone wants to post suggestions that could help with the OP's problem, that would be great, otherwise I suggest leaving this thread alone.
    Trinity
    To be fair unless he posts system specs, we would be guessing.
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 15, Quest Version 15
    edited March 16
    Yep, help will be limited without specs and as much detail as possible.

As I say, with this or any other thread where anyone feels unable to help, probably best to not post... or just ask for more details (as Maxx did).

This forum is usually a friendly place to post, with some very helpful souls, provided the threads aren't intentionally incendiary and then other posters don't feed into that.

Peace out.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,388 Volunteer Moderator
    RattyUK said:
    So, if you don't have anything to say other than, "I don't have any issues" then perhaps your input is not needed?
    As long as it's not done in a gloating or insulting way, the opposite is true.
    Having someone say they don't have critical issues tells us a couple of things:
    - The issue isn't common to everybody. There have been things that affect everyone in the past, if some people have it work then we know the problem it is either faulty VR hardware or something is conflicting with the user's system.
    - If we have the system specs of people with the problem and people without the problem then we can start looking for patterns.
    Ratty's signature has his system specs. So we at least know one combination of components that are working.

Jonniina said:
    and eight different high speed usb 3.0 ports.
    I'm guessing this was just a coincidence or mistake, but if you really have "high speed" usb ports then that could be an issue.
    High speed is the name for USB 2.0.
    USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 is called Super speed.

Wintermute
    kojack said:
    looking for patterns.
    Ratty's signature has his system specs. So we at least know one combination of components that are working.

Actually 2 if you allow the laptop specs :)
    Laptops raise enough threads in this forum as being  "VR Ready" doesn't mean "Oculus Ready" because of the demands of both the original rift (USB current / bandwidth) and the S being DP only.
    Even desktops can be challenging, Asmedia USB controller support has been either non-existent (Original Rift software) to "Maybe" with the Rift S - even stranger is that my last PC Motherboard had Asmedia USB 'C' which worked after one update but not another, and the Asmedia USB 'C' on my laptop never has.
    Some folk may resent my posting "mine works" but at least my specs are visible (particularly as one theory was AMD Chipset / Processor incompatibility) for comparison.
    Having an expensive 'toy' not working is frustrating, particularly when it works for others, but with system specs given at least any combination of parts that really just 'don't work' could assist the developers in getting compatibility issues minimised.
    Rift S
  • jabjab Posts: 234
    Nexus 6
    edited March 17
    A better question is "why is there still a USB compatibility problem?"
    Considering this was/is one of the most common problems with CV1, you would think they would have fixed it by now.
    I think it can be, at least partially, attributed to the variety of USB types, manufacturers and drivers out there, plus the variety of Windows settings related to USB including power, sometimes even power delivery on a more basic level such as demand on the hub or even issues with the PSU itself, cable, plug or socket related issues, at the PC end or the headset end... well, lots of factors. Plus the OP was having DP connection issues so other things may be going on.

But again, common can mean different things to different people. If there are 3 million Rifts out there (just a wild guess) and for arguments sake 1% have a problem, that could be considered common by some people and it would definitely be enough to generate a lot of posts on the forum. As it is, USB related posts are common compared with some other problems but that in itself doesn't determine how common overall... or get us any closer to determining the route cause of the OP's problem.
    Trinity
    Its always something to bare in mind that when I get display port problems,I simply unplug the USB and put it back in.  I never remove the DP.  I now use an active DP extension, but I still get the display port error [if] I start the computer with the rift s connected.  I have 100% success if I plug in after the PC has fully started. 
  • JonniinaJonniina Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I didn´t mean to upset anyone in first place. Just sad, because i have had problems all the time with this, but never with original rift. When you have been fighting with problems already many many hours, at least i start to think that i do have better things to do and spend my time than trying to get something working.

I also asked some sort of refund, that i can return my rift s for even partial refund, because it seems not to work ever anyways, to get rid of spending my time on this, but as was already pretty clear to quess, no deal. I just have to spend more my time, or loose everything i paid for. I did not think that as a good option, althou only option it seems to be.

My bad, i do not mean high speed USB:s. I have USB 3.0.

My computer specs.
    -Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz / 3.8ghz
    -16gb ram DDR3
    -64Bit Win 10
    -Inno 3D I chill (nvidia GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X)
    -SSD drives X4 (don´t remember all of the specs) Oculus have been two different of these
    -HDD X2
    -Asus sabertooth B67
    -PSU 750w

But after Nvidia release 3080 / ti, going to throw all old away and do complete new build, based on that. Maybe oculus finally works on that, but i do not have my hopes up. Should work on my old setup just fine also.
  • Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 113
    Art3mis
    I am also having issues with my Rift-S continously loading up saying no audio from headset or that it is not seeing the USB port and I know it is not my PC. I have had way more problems with the Rift-S than i ever did with my CV1. I am honestly getting close to saving up and getting an index, but there are so many great titles on the oculus store that I do not want to go that route. Before any of you all say it is my PC, I assure you specs beat out what it asks for. Ryzen 7 2700x 16gb ddr4 RTX 2070 Windows 10 64 Bit 850w PSW
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Just stop buying any games from the Oculus store and get them on Steam. There are ways to play oculus games on Vive and someday you may be able to play them on other headsets. I really think the way Oculus is going they will keep bringing people into VR but then just push them towards another headset manufacturer.  Oculus is no longer the way to go if you want PCVR.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
    Trinity
    I have started to buy VR from Steam, after buying Arizona Sunshine from Oculus for £29.99 and wanting another copy so I can have some combat training with the Mrs for the upcoming Apocalypse :smile: I bought a second copy for £7.99 on Steam.   Now I always look on steam or for a stream key first.  I feel I have supported Oculus enough by buying 2 headsets and most of my games from them, now its a matter of software price.