cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 "Connection Required"

TopShelfSnip3r
Honored Guest
So yesterday I was playing fine with the VR the next day I come up with this problem. "USB 3 Connection Required" It's like the oculus app doesn't even recognize my usb 3.0 being plugged in my desktop and I made sure it's in a 3.0 port. I've plugged in every 3.0 port possible and it still says USB 3 Connection Required. I went into the device manager tried to update my usb 3.0 but it says it's at the latest version, i've tried to uninstall the usb and plug it back in multiple times. My display port works fine and my Rift S says Connected and active when I put on the headset it has 3 dots with the oculus symbol and a black screen with my controllers sitting 1 meter below me. In the device manager it shows that the USB 3.0 from the VR cable works fine. I did everything I can and don't know what to do I need help :disappointed:
It's been a month since I started playing VR.

5aqr8h8lf46g.png6grw3ur4jdwe.png
104 REPLIES 104

Anonymous
Not applicable
same problem here, during 1 month all was ok and since yesterday occulus link is not working...
(sorry my english is bad)

Quadrobs
Honored Guest
Same thing happening here after oculas update my perfectly fine working vr headset that i've had since August is now saying it don't have USB 3 and instead i have a USB 2 hmm very strange. Pls fix 😞

Absurd_Nerd_99
Honored Guest
 iv'e been looking for a fix for months, and when the first time i got the first problem fixed (display port issue) I got this problem with the USB 2.0, i'm starting to think that there is something that causes bugs in the software of either the computer or the rift/rift s for some people. but somehow it does not happen for everyone

Anonymous
Not applicable

iv'e been looking for a fix for months, and when the first time i got the first problem fixed (display port issue) I got this problem with the USB 2.0, i'm starting to think that there is something that causes bugs in the software of either the computer or the rift/rift s for some people. but somehow it does not happen for everyone

Absolutely. Its definitely a problem with USB which is coming into play depending your motherboard, but its even happening with newer model motherboards. At the same time it seems like there may be batches of Rifts that are defective or at least more susceptible to this. A guy posted here that runs lots of Rift S' commercially (Video Arcade?). He posted that he has dozens of headsets all running off identical computer setups. Half have this problem and half don't. 

The thing is that very few had this problem at all until they released version 12 driver in December. Overnight this issue started to flood the forums and it has only increased in recent months. They broke something badly and can't seem to figure out how to fix it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
New Quest owner, i know it is kind of much to complain about this but i just pulled the headset out of the box... Updated the firmware on the headset and the pc i use, mind you it's rocking an i7-8700k, rtx2070 on a asus prime z370 2 mobo and it is giving me the same issues... Whether i plug it right into the mobo, or i try plugging it into the usb c port on the graphics card... It just tells me that i need to use a usb c port -.- kinda pissed i cannot play a single one of my steam vr games and i am either forced to buy games off the oculus store or let my new vr headset be a paperweight....

Before anyone tries to say "Why didn't you buy an actual wired headset" This was a gift from an uncle for this whole covid quarantine situation, it was a free headset so i did not have a choice in the matter. Regardless the compute itself recognizes the device is there, i have trouble shooted all this and yet i still get thrown the same damn error of "Use USB C port hur duuurrrrr" While it's plugged directly into a usb c port -.-

*Edit* I am using the provided USB C cable which is even their official link cable that came with the headset... Plugged it into my mobo, and my graphics card... Tried a USB C-USB 3 cable that changed nothing, latest firmware and everything... Really pissed i cannot play any of my games right now

Andrewe1
Protege

*Edit* I am using the provided USB C cable which is even their official link cable that came with the headset... Plugged it into my mobo, and my graphics card... Tried a USB C-USB 3 cable that changed nothing, latest firmware and everything... Really pissed i cannot play any of my games right now

The included usb C cable is NOT the official Link cable, nor does it work with Link functionality. You can either buy the official cable for 80 USD, or find a compatible usb cable for much cheaper. Search for "oculus link compatible usb cables" and you should head in the right direction. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Andrewe1 said:

The included usb C cable is NOT the official Link cable, nor does it work with Link functionality. You can either buy the official cable for 80 USD, or find a compatible usb cable for much cheaper. Search for "oculus link compatible usb cables" and you should head in the right direction. 

Yes this. Included cable that came with Quest is for charging only, it can not handle the data throughput required of Oculus Link.
As mentioned you can find a compatible USB 3 cable that may work or may have issues. Mine worked best with the official Oculus Link cable, been rock solid for me every time.

KFHviking45
Explorer
Hi! 
I had the same issue for days now, meaning everything was fine then all of a sudden my USB port was recognized as 2.0 instead of 3.0 - this is how I fixed it: 
- Make sure your VR Device and the PC Software is on the same major version (14 in my case), and don`t enable any beta updates. 
-Unplug the USB cable from your PC! (Not your VR Device) 
-Turn your VR Device off and on
-Turn your computer off (restart might work, but I suspect it retains power on USB and it might not work) 
After doing this, everything worked fine for me. I don`t really know why but it seems to have something to do with how the USB is initialized and it doesen`t like that the headset is plugged in when booting your PC. 

I hope this helps someone else, please let me know it if does so we can share this "fix".. 

tarlynislazy
Honored Guest

KFHviking45 I'm not sure if this will work out for me but thx for helping people that need it

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had this same problem for weeks and for no reason today it worked when i first plugged in the Quest - during that time I changed the cable to one which failed, then changed back, and then the original configuration didnt work any more.

Since then it hasnt worked again despite many restarts of both devices etc.

The above solutions from KFHviking45 also didnt work for me.

Have emailed support and they have so far only suggested a full reinstall of Oculus, plus updating USB and Video Card drivers (USB driver link in help for intel does not offer a Win10 driver).
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?