Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

Nekto2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

January 2020 = 1.31%
February 2020 = 0.97 %

It's kinda worse than going 6 months back, it does not make sense to me. Now, a few weeks ago I did read somewhere that some users with Rift connected experienced that Steam didn't register the CV1 in the survey. That could explain the massive CV1 reduction, but still some CV1s did get counted. Not sure corona can be blamed for the massive reduction from 1.31% to 0.97% (about 35% reduction). I guess we should take the current results with a grain of salt...

More people had Steam installed and they are not vr gamers? They have more time to play games but have no hmd.
Those are %, not an absolute numbers. So there could be more vr headsets.

Let's see % of CV1/S after HL launch 😉 Those without Steam could install it.

Yep, plus unlike the Oculus hardware surveys, the Steam survey is only given to a random selection of people, not everybody. I've read that it may be weighted to be more likely to select people with recent hardware changes.

If Steam hasn't explicitly asked you to take part in the survey, your headset hasn't been counted.

Agreed, but if Steam asks just 1% of 100 million users, statistics should be solid (unless there're some general detection issues) . 

There may be tons of disconnected hmds out there, thus number of sold hmds is not the same as active hmds (same goes for connected hmds that might not be used). So it is what it is - and I wonder what we'll see in April and maybe May (March numbers may not be high before March 23). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Star-lizard
Rising Star
I have had steam turned off for months , so my VR headset won't show

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

Yep, plus unlike the Oculus hardware surveys, the Steam survey is only given to a random selection of people, not everybody. I've read that it may be weighted to be more likely to select people with recent hardware changes.

If Steam hasn't explicitly asked you to take part in the survey, your headset hasn't been counted.

This has been a complaint from the start - though it was overlooked when ever it favored one camp or another, and validates their perceived optics.  

For some time we have been suggesting that a more rational means to gauge the number of "operational" headsets in the consumer market is needed. The importance of this is not just to show which headset is leading, but so the smaller developers (and in many cases the AAA studios) can gauge if there is a market worth investing their limited resources to develop for. The "walled garden" approach to disseminating information on market penetration is by a mentality of "corporate secrets", when publicly claiming to encouraging the growth of a market, (unless you want to only fixate on your platform rather than the market as a whole).

For me the Valve Steam VR headset survey has to be taken with a "bag" of salt, with the extrapolations needed to be made for:

- This is a selective survey rather than a mass counting
- Only solicited users are completing surveys
- Multiple headset owners can only complete survey once
- There are individuals completing surveys who are not eligible
- Surveys have been sent out on occasion to picked users
- Numerous occasions fraudulent survey entries have been made
- Having to depend on the "Vampire [Valve] to manage the Blood-bank"!
- Only applies to headset users approached using Steam

As was said on another forum - using the Steam survey to gauge the penetration of VR into the consumer market is like using Alcoholics Anonymous to guess how many pubs there are!

But as the man said, its the best we have till the next thing comes along!

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kojack
MVP
MVP
Valve are fixing up the VR hardware survey.

They are changing it to include every headset you've had connected during the last month, instead of just the one that is plugged in when the survey is taken.
They are also going to include more headsets, including Pimax and even PSVR (which apparently you can use with Steam with some third party tools).

The story doesn't say if more people will get the survey.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

They are changing it to include every headset you've had connected during the last month, instead of just the one that is plugged in when the survey is taken.
They are also going to include more headsets, including Pimax and even PSVR (which apparently you can use with Steam with some third party tools).

Did see that Valve added more hmds a few days ago - and new colors - new numbers caused the amount of hmds connected to rise from 0.97% to 1.01 % - so for now no big changes (Quest is now included, but 0.05% seems too low...?):

qktw17glxfuh.jpg
8dtdsdcwoafj.jpg

pyroth309
Visionary
Nice, I just complained about that a few posts up on march 20th. I only have 1 HDMI port on my GPU so I normally utilize it for other things when I'm not playing VR. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I wonder if Steam can see my CV1 sensors - these and the Index are always connected, but I've deactivated the usb-port connecting the CV1 hmd when I use SteamVR. Probably won't skew March survey results much though, lol. 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

kojack said:

Did see that Valve added more hmds a few days ago - and new colors - new numbers caused the amount of hmds connected to rise from 0.97% to 1.01 % - so for now no big changes (Quest is now included, but 0.05% seems too low...?):

qktw17glxfuh.jpg
8dtdsdcwoafj.jpg

Same amount of Quest users connected to steam VR as did PSVR users, does not look right seeing as the Quest is just one cable and you are off, whereas to get the PSVR to offer up its limited 3DOF on the PC is a pain in itself....so call me Susan and slap me with a wet kipper if these figures don't end up being way off target. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

Nice to see that Valve was force to listen to the criticisms. Funny we outlined these issues a few posts back, the time must be right for them to bite the bullet. I wonder if its the successful reception of HL:A that forced their arm. With all of the key management of Valve out of the US at the moment, I wonder if this was a move planned to happen or was forced on them?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm quite surprised that the Rift S is selling more than three times as much as the Index. Makes you wonder how much it would have sold if Valve hadn't blatantly taken the piss with their price gouging for their base stations and Index controllers. 😮