Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

I'm quite surprised that the Rift S is selling more than three times as much as the Index. Makes you wonder how much it would have sold if Valve hadn't blatantly taken the piss with their price gouging for their base stations and Index controllers. 😮

Understand your resentment of the brand @snowdog but is it really "gouging" [meaning overcharge or swindle]?

The company selling a new concept controller into the market - there is no similar system (making it unique), and is part of a "premium" VR experience. The same way that the Pimax and the Varjo are "premium" VR experiences and charge a high price. Also many people felt that the Lighthouse tech was superior to the alternatives, and so could be sold at a higher price (though to be frank the price of a new Lighthouse setup was cheaper than a three camera constellation!)

Just because you don't like the price (or the company) seems rash to jump in and call them swindlers unless you know they are profiteering from the bill of goods, and if you know that can you point us to the source?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
A factor limiting the Index is that it's basically unavailable. Rift-S is also difficult to get, but it seems like Oculus is able to supply more, indicated by some availability from time to time on the Oculus website or other dealers like Amazon. In comparison Index has been sold out for months with some units made available March 9. Even with full availability Index isn't expected to sell more than Rift-S, but it would probably have sold a lot more right now due to Alyx if it was widely available 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

A factor limiting the Index is that it's basically unavailable.

Seems to be a key point @RuneSR2 - on numerous VR forums I follow, it seems to be the main point that if people could get a Index they would buy it (also many point to wanting to try the Index controllers). Seems that Valve's decision to go low scale, even running their own fab - may come round to bite them in the short term, but they know that with a possible cheaper Index 2.0 on the horizon that they will win out. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

I'm quite surprised that the Rift S is selling more than three times as much as the Index. Makes you wonder how much it would have sold if Valve hadn't blatantly taken the piss with their price gouging for their base stations and Index controllers. 😮

Understand your resentment of the brand @snowdog but is it really "gouging" [meaning overcharge or swindle]?

The company selling a new concept controller into the market - there is no similar system (making it unique), and is part of a "premium" VR experience. The same way that the Pimax and the Varjo are "premium" VR experiences and charge a high price. Also many people felt that the Lighthouse tech was superior to the alternatives, and so could be sold at a higher price (though to be frank the price of a new Lighthouse setup was cheaper than a three camera constellation!)

Just because you don't like the price (or the company) seems rash to jump in and call them swindlers unless you know they are profiteering from the bill of goods, and if you know that can you point us to the source?

It's the very definition of price gouging. Those 2.0 base stations cost $40 or so to manufacture. If I made a headset for SteamVR using Lighthouse tracking Valve would charge me $40 or so (might be 45 or 49, can't remember the exact figure offhand) plus shipping for me as a manufacturer to include those base stations with my headset.

Valve were shouting from the rooftops that the 2.0 versions were cheaper to manufacture than the 1.0 versions when they were first revealed. And if you buy these things from Valve as a customer they're MORE expensive than the 1.0 ones from HTC.

It's pretty disgraceful tbh.

And with regards to the Index controllers they're using the EXACT SAME TECHNOLOGY as the Touch controllers, just tracking more fingers. You can add a bit to manufacturing cost for the squeeze sensing as well as the light sensors but even taking those things into consideration they're still overpriced compared to Touch controllers.

ShocksVR
Superstar

March 2020

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
It's the very definition of price gouging. Those 2.0 base stations cost $40 or so to manufacture. If I made a headset for SteamVR using Lighthouse tracking Valve would charge me $40 or so (might be 45 or 49, can't remember the exact figure offhand) plus shipping for me as a manufacturer to include those base stations with my headset.

Valve were shouting from the rooftops that the 2.0 versions were cheaper to manufacture than the 1.0 versions when they were first revealed. And if you buy these things from Valve as a customer they're MORE expensive than the 1.0 ones from HTC.

And with regards to the Index controllers they're using the EXACT SAME TECHNOLOGY as the Touch controllers, just tracking more fingers. You can add a bit to manufacturing cost for the squeeze sensing as well as the light sensors but even taking those things into consideration they're still overpriced compared to Touch controllers.

As always, I understand your perspective against Valve and can see as always your passion for the subject.

I am interested that you have the parts cost for the base station is that based on your assumptions or from a actual credible source, would love to read that?
Am also interested in your experience manufacturing headsets, have you done that before, or is this again an assumption just to color your point? Just asking.

Yes, I remember your criticism of the Knuckles, and all the jokes you made about it being rubbish and amounted to nothing. I think we can agree that its more than just a Touch with more buttons! - but hey if that is what your belief system tells you, we are all entitled to our opinion, but I think even you can see that's a stretch, (have you actually used Index controls dude?)

Hey, I am not disagreeing that all VR tech in the consumer scene is over priced - and all manufacturers need to take a cold hard look in the mirror. Though picking on one manufacturer and not roping all of them in, and even defending others seems myopic to say the least.

Anyway, I think we have squeezed enough out of this lemon, and not to derail the post, I am jumping back to the OP, but as always - thanks for sharing your view. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

ShocksVR said:

Thanks for sharing @ShocksVR - now we get closer to their internal reality. 
Obviously Valve will not want to make a hard change to the real stats till they have had time to gradually adjust. And the announcement of the "new" survey policy will be fascinating to watch more of a change to a real Steam VR usage number. 

The Quest number was also a fascinating (addition) jump, wonder how long the survey guys have been watching that number grow and wondering when they would have to admit it and include it into the numbers. The mind boggles about the PSVR entry, and if this is a error with users thinking the question in the survey was "what you own", rather than use?

But again its the question about this being a survey of selected Steam VR users - being used to justify the consumer VR user percentage (apple against oranges). It will be interesting to see as with the Rift-S superseding the CV1, when we see the HTC Vive superseded by Cosmos Elite, or Valve Index sales? 

PluckeyOne
Protege
The way Index has jumped 3% and the way Rift has fallen the Index will surpass Rift in market share next month. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

As always, I understand your perspective against Valve and can see as always your passion for the subject.

I am interested that you have the parts cost for the base station is that based on your assumptions or from a actual credible source, would love to read that?
Am also interested in your experience manufacturing headsets, have you done that before, or is this again an assumption just to color your point? Just asking.

Yes, I remember your criticism of the Knuckles, and all the jokes you made about it being rubbish and amounted to nothing. I think we can agree that its more than just a Touch with more buttons! - but hey if that is what your belief system tells you, we are all entitled to our opinion, but I think even you can see that's a stretch, (have you actually used Index controls dude?)

Hey, I am not disagreeing that all VR tech in the consumer scene is over priced - and all manufacturers need to take a cold hard look in the mirror. Though picking on one manufacturer and not roping all of them in, and even defending others seems myopic to say the least.

Anyway, I think we have squeezed enough out of this lemon, and not to derail the post, I am jumping back to the OP, but as always - thanks for sharing your view. 

Have just started a thread on Reddit about it, can't find a link so you'll have to wait for one.

And I have NEVER said that the Index controllers were rubbish, just that developers won't be using the tracking for all of the fingers for anything apart from being able to waggle your fingers just for the sake of being able to waggle your fingers. There'll be an exception to the rule here and there but generally you won't see developers tracking them. You could amputate those two fingers from your hands and you wouldn't miss them that much unless you play a musical instrument, drink tea in a posh manner and do the Heavy Metal sign regularly.

And you don't need to be experienced in manufacturing headsets and controllers to know that the Touch controllers and Index controllers use capacitive sensors to track fingers. This is a well known fact. Google it.

All manufacturers don't need to take a cold hard look in the mirror. Pimax are charging more for their headset because they've released headsets a clear step ahead of other manufacturers in terms of sepcs - bigger FOV, higher resolution. The WVR headsets are reasonably priced. All of the Oculus headsets are sold at cost.

HTC and Valve are the only two headset manufacturers that need to be given grief for their pricing. You can understand HTC going a bit crazy with it because they're desperate to keep their lights on, but the Valve Index's price is just plain ridiculous. For nearly a grand I'd expect a headset to have a Pimax sized FOV and resolution, the Index headset is a 1600p headset, the Rift S - £520 cheaper to buy - is a 1440p headset.

But it's the price gouging that Valve REALLY need to be taken to task for. It's just plain greedy.

Here you go, it was $60 plus shipping...I was obviously thinking of the value in Pounds Sterling, not USD:

https://www.roadtovr.com/developers-now-receiving-steamvr-2-0-base-stations/

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Thanks as always for your clarification @snowdog - understand that you implied it was rubbish from a developers perspective rather than saying it was.  B)