Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

Thanks as always for your clarification @snowdog - understand that you implied it was rubbish from a developers perspective rather than saying it was.  B)

Again, I haven't said that it's rubbish from a developer's viewpoint. If a developer can find some way to make an exclusive Index game that takes advantage of the Index controller's features it would be very useful for them. But this hasn't happened yet, not even Valve have done it.

There isn't a single tool that I can think of that's functionality changes depending on how hard you squeeze it. Same goes for a tool that depends on the pinky and ring fingers.

It's just bad design for a controller's extra features. Any developer with any sense (including Valve) will develop for the lowest common denominator (in this case the godawful WVR controllers). Now they MIGHT allow for functionality for tracking of the thumb and index finger (because that's a key feature that both the Touch controllers and Index controllers have), so that switches can be flicked, thumbpads can read thumbprints etc, but when using a lowest common denominator controller (such as the crappy WVR ones) they'll just have the blending for the animation changing from an open hand to a pointing finger or a thumbs up automatically when the player's WVR controller/hand gets within a certain distance of the in game object that the player needs to interact with. And when the player with Touch or Index controllers do the same thing, the blending is dependant on the cap sensors instead.

From a game design perspective the ability to track all of the fingers is about as useful as a chocolate teapot unless, as I've already mentioned, you decide to waggle your fingers for the sack of waggling fingers.

Now I may be wrong of course, someone may come up with an Index exclusive game that can ONLY be played using the added features of the Index controller, but I doubt that it's going to happen.

Oculus could have added tracking for all four fingers, but chose not to because there's no point in doing so. Valve have just added those features for the sake of having added features. And those added features will be rarely, if ever, used for anything useful. Someone might come up with a piano/guitar/[Insert alternative instrument here] lesson app but, again, without that tactile instrument in player's hands it'll be a bit pants. You won't be able to learn a thing because (and I'm talking as a keyboard, bass and guitar player) having a real instrument is completely different to having an imaginary one. You won't get tactile feedback which is essential when learning to play an instrument.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
...Now I may be wrong of course.
Well thanks for being open to that possibility at least. 

There isn't a single tool that I can think of that's functionality changes depending on how hard you squeeze it. 
Well here is one from 1993:

dwhxvbsbz12p.png

EDIT - oh and someone just PM'ed me another example:
sfjp2ltjo1v8.png

Wow, another wall of text - thanks @snowdog - will pass on further taking this post in a "interesting" direction, and focus on the OP. But always appreciate your passionate point of view. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
This news will impact the CV1 numbers, and could prove confusing.

This also kind of makes it a bit weird for where the Lenovo Rift-S first into the mix, as it was meant to be the replacement to the CV1 with production ending. This news may confirm rumors that the Lenovo/Oculus relationship has hit a hard patch, with Lenovo now supporting Varjo's high-end VRPC system, (fall out from the Quest Link situation). 

But at least shows that OculusVR are still considering in supporting the CV1 platform:

Oculus is Selling Refurbished Original Rifts for $300

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-selling-refurbished-original-rifts-300/

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^^^First the Quest link cable and now refurbished CV1
bundles........FB going out of its way to throw a spanner into Rift S
sales. lol

Of course a $300 paper weight if the cable of this
refurbished unit goes belly up within that 12 month warrenty, but a even bigger question is how would they deal with a faulty cable in warrenty now they no longer have or make them?
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I think with the last executive supporters of PCVR leaving last year for the Facebook AR project, the remaining teams at OculusVR focused on Quest with the sales explosion, and abandoned any additional investment @OmegaM4N - this would have explained the slow support for Rift-S issues that many complained about, and also why Lenovo went so quiet. Quest Link seems to have been a painful surprise for Lenovo, the same way that Samsung was "surprised" during their partnership.

Would not be surprised to see a Quest2 in six-months that has a dedicated PCVR support (dedicated Link), and that would be the end of any possibility of a CV2 - though would still keep the PCVR scene alive, though placing the Rift-S on the shelf. I wonder how much this will be blamed retroactively on the Global Heath crisis?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

I think with the last executive supporters of PCVR leaving last year for the Facebook AR project, the remaining teams at OculusVR focused on Quest with the sales explosion, and abandoned any additional investment @OmegaM4N - this would have explained the slow support for Rift-S issues that many complained about, and also why Lenovo went so quiet. Quest Link seems to have been a painful surprise for Lenovo, the same way that Samsung was "surprised" during their partnership.

Would not be surprised to see a Quest2 in six-months that has a dedicated PCVR support (dedicated Link), and that would be the end of any possibility of a CV2 - though would still keep the PCVR scene alive, though placing the Rift-S on the shelf. I wonder how much this will be blamed retroactively on the Global Heath crisis?

I would be surprised to see any high-end PCVR move from Oculus in the near-future too. Horizon is probably taking up a lot of Oculus' time.
Seems that Valve/Steam is taking over high-end PCVR, also with the Reverb G2 coming up - which I would not be surprised to see with full support for Knuckes and Base Stations 2.0. Especially as the major problems of the Reverb are the controllers and the tracking. 

oh5qivo6a2k2.jpg
7fwir3rpf0a1.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

I would be surprised to see any high-end PCVR move from Oculus in the near-future too. Horizon is probably taking up a lot of Oculus' time.
Seems that Valve/Steam is taking over high-end PCVR, also with the Reverb G2 coming up - which I would not be surprised to see with full support for Knuckes and Base Stations 2.0. Especially as the major problems of the Reverb are the controllers and the tracking. 

Totally agree - and to be frank, have been saying this since 2017, after the first round of Half-Dome departures to Microsoft. I think the loyal supporters were hanging on for a CV2 that never appeared, and was superseded by the Rift-S compromise. Holding out hope for the Half-Dome3 may pay out in the long run, but we are talking the current generation rather than wild speculation on 2022 possibilities!

It seems the PCVR community (which is now more filled with Enterprise developers) is split between HP (as a replacement to their CV1's and Vives), the Cosmos Elite (for those looking at replacing their Vive Pros) and the remainder working with Varjo and Index (I will leave Pimax out at this point). There is a lot of interest in HP's Reverb G2 with its Valve and WinMR support - this could really impact Cosmos Elite, and even be a cost-effective Index solution for the consumer base (especially if bundled with HL:A).

Plainly, Oculus putting all its eggs in the Rift-S department to stay relevant in the PCVR scene has not really paid off as hoped, though those Steam numbers are not as bad as CV1 or Oculus Go take up for the same period. Its just that focusing on Standalone is the order of the day, while they work on the secret MR headset hybrid - hoping to supersede Quest and Rift-S, and embrace the parent companies AR investment.   

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Rift S is still selling a shitload, and the Quest 2 won't be able to hold the tech inside the Half Dome prototypes unless things change regarding cooling and mobile hardware during the next few years. Why on earth would Oculus stop work on PCVR when it's still selling well and when putting the Half Dome tech into a standalone headset would be a pipe dream?

As for the AR/MR plans from Facebook and Oculus we're years away from seeing that happening because, as I've already mentioned, the hardware isn't there yet to do it at an affordable price. In terms of tech we're not even at the stage that VR was at with the DK1. We won't see Facebook/Oculus releasing an AR or MR headset for another 5 years at least.

We'll see the Rift 2 being released with the Half Dome features in two years time and won't see the Quest line of products having Half Dome features for AT LEAST three years after that, if at all.

You don't have a brand as strong as the Rift and stop development of it. Same goes for the Quest too. They'll continue to release both headsets going forward, with the Rift line using new technology which will filter down eventually to the Quest line once it becomes cheap enough to include in the headsets.

Anonymous
Not applicable
LOL, maybe they are waiting for Half Dome 4 or even 5. 
RIP Rift, it will all be Quest based going forward in my opinion.
If they continue building upon what they have already accomplished with Quest Link, may not necessarily be a bad thing as it would still have very good PC-VR capabilities.

Just take a good look at the release notes in these later versions of the Oculus software, most all focus is on Quest.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

You don't have a brand as strong as the Rift and stop development of it. Same goes for the Quest too. They'll continue to release both headsets going forward, with the Rift line using new technology which will filter down eventually to the Quest line once it becomes cheap enough to include in the headsets.

As always some interesting and colorful points.

But, regarding that last point - I remember some posters saying exactly the same thing when we discussed if Samsung and Oculus had stopped working on the GearVR... and look what happened there!