cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

microphone problems with the rift s?

sethman600
Explorer
i got my rift s on release day and everything worked fine until yesterday. when i plugged in my headphones to the audio jack and tried to speak on discord nothing was being picked up. i then tried to speak with out the headphones and still didnt work. so i tried in game to see if it was just discord but it didnt work in game either. anyone know a possible fix to this?
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Onyxius said:

I cannot believe this is still an issue.  I too have a headset from release day and my microphone doesn't work majority of the time.  Sometimes I can get it to work by unplugging the USB and then back in again, sometimes i have to reboot, sometimes it takes days or weeks for either to even work which makes no sense.  Such an expensive headset should not have such a crappy microphone.

I think the key may lie with the Lenovo part of the equation lol.
It is a total crap microphone. Not something one would expect from a company like Oculus.

Foulex
Honored Guest
same thing here, is anyone reported this?

Drew1942
Honored Guest
having the same problem

MPires
Heroic Explorer
If you have several USB 3.0 ports, try them all. In my case the mic works in one of the ports and not in the others, go there to know why !!!

Kd140
Honored Guest
After further analysis and investigation, Performed a wiggle test on the Optical cable to see if there a short and Boom found the Issue, Your PCs are perfectly Fine, its just the optical cable having issues, to make sure its the optical cable you should perform a wiggle test too. Get your self a software were you can test your mic and hear yourself (i used voice-meter). next remove the Oculus rift s face mask and wiggle the wire thats next to the connector to see if you hear static and it cuts to your voice, if this worked It means you got to waste 80$ on a new Optical cable, i figured this problem out the other day, my mic kept cutting out as well and every time i touch the headset there was a static sound so i removed the face mask as soon as i removed it the mic started to work, i wiggled the wire and Voilà it cuts off and goes back on.

This issue is a Optical cord Factory issue!

kaha66
Protege

Kd140 said:

After further analysis and investigation, Performed a wiggle test on the Optical cable to see if there a short and Boom found the Issue, Your PCs are perfectly Fine, its just the optical cable having issues, to make sure its the optical cable you should perform a wiggle test too. Get your self a software were you can test your mic and hear yourself (i used voice-meter). next remove the Oculus rift s face mask and wiggle the wire thats next to the connector to see if you hear static and it cuts to your voice, if this worked It means you got to waste 80$ on a new Optical cable, i figured this problem out the other day, my mic kept cutting out as well and every time i touch the headset there was a static sound so i removed the face mask as soon as i removed it the mic started to work, i wiggled the wire and Voilà it cuts off and goes back on.

This issue is a Optical cord Factory issue!

For me it doesn't seem like a cable problem.
wiggle test negative.
incomprehensible robot voice more in some games than others.
I have decided to use the jack port of an Xbox controller with microphone-earphones or a weeb-cam while waiting.
please oculus do something!  :s

cpu: 2600x
gpu: rx 580
mother board: asus b450-plus gaming

Supercage20
Honored Guest
i had the same issue but i eventually fixed it by wiggling the cord under the faceplate if anyone still has this issue

kaha66
Protege
the problem seems resolved I removed my 2 meters pasisve extension cables
do you have any extension cables guys?

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Rift S microphone is flaky at best. I would get constant dropouts during gameplay.
I ended up adding a desktop USB mic to my setup to fix that problem.

tomdrc1
Honored Guest
I think that there was an issue with the microphone at a manufacturing bunch, can you guys confirm the date? My headset was manufactured at 12/2019 and it has this issue, a friend of mine who bought his headset a few days ago which was manufactured at the 3/2020 doesn't seem to have any problems. (You can find the date on the bottom of the headset's box)