Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

I think Valve and Steam plays at least some part in Oculus'/Facebook's decision making process on how much resource to spend on PCVR or stand-alone development.

Valve wants to absorb as many headset owners into their software platform as they possibly can. If they could sell software to xbox and PlayStation owners too, they would (that seems to be possible now at some level).

Now, say for example some upstart company appears and starts selling VR headsets that have their own software vending platform, and in addition, VR looks to have a potential of rivalling the PC pancake gaming establishment, big-time, in the future.

That's a threat to Valve and the answer is for Valve to get a VR headset out there that rivals Oculus' hardware and get software on Steam that not only competes with Oculus' platform but can be used by Oculus users as well as its own headset and anyone else's.... and attract Oculus users and minimise the potential threat of a rival software platform.

From Oculus point of view, or the point of view of any other company with aspirations of building a hardware/software ecosystem to rival Steam.... what do you do? 

They could continue to sell PCVR headsets at (or near) cost, in order to build a software/hardware ecosystem further. If so, they'd have to continue to invest lot of money into software over a very long period of time before they get to any kind of parity with Steam, if that's ever possible.

Or, they just give up on the idea of being competitors to Steam on the PCVR front and just sell PCVR headsets for as much profit as is sustainable and have that as the business model.

Or concentrate on standalone development which is a harder business for Valve to supress without a headset that's better than Quest.

I hope Oculus continue with PCVR but from a business point of view, I think it's the toughest route. I'm also definitely not one of the people thinking Valve are generous because they've invested in one great VR game and didn't make it an Index exclusive... I feel it's part of a roadmap to mitigate risk of competition, maintain a monopoly, simple as that.

So, I'm less optimistic about future PCVR hardware from Oculus than I used to be. The other side of the coin though... having been using my Quest more than I though I would.. I'm pretty optimistic about stand-alone.

Just my take... and sorry, I typed more than I thought, but we've all got more time on our hands these days.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
FB could own the PCVR market completly rigth now by simply releasing a revised Quest with some sort of dedicated display port or mini HDMI addition, keep the present charge port, and keep the present Quest price point, and they would rule the VR world over night. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

You don't have a brand as strong as the Rift and stop development of it. Same goes for the Quest too. They'll continue to release both headsets going forward, with the Rift line using new technology which will filter down eventually to the Quest line once it becomes cheap enough to include in the headsets.

Hand tracking.
Double tap passthrough.
Customizable resolution.
Sharper image in center versus edges to help in performance.
New Universal Menu.

I would say it is fast becoming the opposite, with the new Technology focus now going to the Quest, with filtering to Rift  remaining to be seen.

OmegaM4N said:

FB could own the PCVR market completly rigth now by simply releasing a revised Quest with some sort of dedicated display port or mini HDMI addition, keep the present charge port, and keep the present Quest price point, and they would rule the VR world over night. lol

That's true if you see selling hardware as the PCVR market.

I think the PCVR market isn't won by selling hardware, it's won from selling the software. The hardware is probably a very small part of the business if it's sold at or near cost. The business from Facebook's point of view is number of users and the vending environment that those users buy and use their software, Valve saw that a long time ago.

Using a Quest as a Rift continues to feed into both Valve and Oculus, but to maintain that, Facebook have to continue to plough money into PCVR software to compete and even then Valve have the advantage (technical developments like ASW notwithstanding) and will win out in the end. So I think Facebook's investment (or a good proportion of it) would just go to Valve in the end.

Using Quests as Quests is where Facebook can cultivate a userbase protected from Valve and I think is now more attractive to Facebook for that reason.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
IF oculus are no longer  that interested in having a pure pcvr headset in the mix themselves and they just view PCVR as a nice extra to supplament their standalone devices then there is less reason than ever to not open up their store officially to other headsets imo. I really hoped openXR would start the ball rolling on this. But it hasn't (yet?)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

That's a threat to Valve and the answer is for Valve to get a VR headset out there that rivals Oculus' hardware and get software on Steam that not only competes with Oculus' platform but can be used by Oculus users as well as its own headset and anyone else's.... and attract Oculus users and minimise the potential threat of a rival software platform.

Thanks for this (long) reply from you - can see your getting a little stir crazy  B)

Just one observation on this point, I think its hard to justify saying the Valve development of a headset was an answer to a threat just appearing. I think we have to admit that Valve kicked off this current phase of VR investment with their VR Room and support of the other platform. This did not stop them from developing their tech that fueled HTC, but was inevitably leading to this, and the next Valve headset. I know that there may be some local bias, but Valve really was pivotal and all roads have head to their Index and Index controller - even if its seen to keep their software monoplane.

Or, they just give up on the idea of being competitors to Steam on the PCVR front and just sell PCVR headsets for as much profit as is sustainable and have that as the business model.

Or concentrate on standalone development which is a harder business for Valve to supress without a headset that's better than Quest.

I hope Oculus continue with PCVR but from a business point of view, I think it's the toughest route. I'm also definitely not one of the people thinking Valve are generous because they've invested in one great VR game and didn't make it an Index exclusive... I feel it's part of a roadmap to mitigate risk of competition, maintain a monopoly, simple as that.
So, I'm less optimistic about future PCVR hardware from Oculus than I used to be. The other side of the coin though... having been using my Quest more than I though I would.. I'm pretty optimistic about stand-alone.

Just my take... and sorry, I typed more than I thought, but we've all got more time on our hands these days.

I think that the optimism that some posters across the forums pushed for a strong future PCVR approach from OculusVR has started to diminish as the reality of the Quest hits home. I know this has been hard for some to comprehend, and I also hope that this is totally not the end, and that it just means we will have to wait considerably longer than some hope. That said, waiting any longer than 24-months for another PCVR offering will mean that the market has transformed so considerably that the CV2 would bare no resemblance with the previous incarnation and would have to be treated as a totally new thing. That would place the Rift in the same boat as the GearVR.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kojack
MVP
MVP

dburne said:
Double tap passthrough.

The Quest just got double tap pass through toggle 2 weeks ago, the Rift-S has had it since at least may 2019.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

dburne said:
Double tap passthrough.

The Quest just got double tap pass through toggle 2 weeks ago, the Rift-S has had it since at least may 2019.

Mmm I did not know that will have to check out thanks for the clarification.
Rift S was released in late May 2019 so it has had it all along? Surprised I missed it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

dburne said:
Double tap passthrough.

You may have to clarify this one for me as I don't see it.
Understand I am not talking about pressing the Oculus button on Touch twice, I am talking about tapping the side of the headset twice with a finger. And I can attest it works quite well.

From the Version 15 Release notes in Quest:
Experimental Features
  • Passthrough Shortcut - You can now enter Passthrough to see your real world surroundings at any time. Once you’ve enabled the feature, double tap the side of your headset to enter Passthrough. When you're finished, double tap again to return to VR.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I’ve expressed my opinions on this subject before, but personally I’d be surprised if Oculus continued with separate PC and stand-alone headset product lines. Their work on Link points to the future of both categories. I fully expect the next Oculus device to be a stand-alone with a considerably more powerful processor, and built-in wireless PCVR connectivity.

If they’re going to sell new tech at low margins to build their ecosystem, there are better economies of scale by having one model rather than two nearly identical ones. The only real difference between Quest and Rift is the on-board compute and battery, which could both contribute to advancing PCVR by enabling tetherless play (the on-board processor would decode the video and handle the tracking to minimize the streamed data). 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo