Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Obviously it now looks that the previous comments that were presented back in 2019's OC6 that the company would be focusing on Standalone,  has become in fact the core focus of the operation now. The move towards Half-Dome technology is more as research and "beauty project", rather than something that will seriously be fielded in the next 24-months (if not later). Those that thought a CV2 was round the corner with this tech will be waiting longer than they hoped. Not-with-standing, elements of HD tech may find some expression in the Quest 2, or the MR hybrid secret project, but really the PCVR side is not a focus, and the exodus of execs' leading in high-end than Standalone, underlines that point. 

You seem to confirm my opinion @nalex66 that the company is based on pushing its ecosystem, and achieve its parents founders statement for mass adoption, and that PCVR is not able to achieve that so is cast aside. The compromise in trying to be seen to still care for that sector with the Lenovo deal seems to have placated some, but the compromises in the final release hardware still stick with many in the PCVR community. I find it funny that while we discuss the short coming with the Rift-S we have never seen a Lenovo voice on the forums (any forums) [obviously OculusVR does not comment either.] 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66 said:

I’ve expressed my opinions on this subject before, but personally I’d be surprised if Oculus continued with separate PC and stand-alone headset product lines. Their work on Link points to the future of both categories. I fully expect the next Oculus device to be a stand-alone with a considerably more powerful processor, and built-in wireless PCVR connectivity.

If they’re going to sell new tech at low margins to build their ecosystem, there are better economies of scale by having one model rather than two nearly identical ones. The only real difference between Quest and Rift is the on-board compute and battery, which could both contribute to advancing PCVR by enabling tetherless play (the on-board processor would decode the video and handle the tracking to minimize the streamed data). 

I think you're probably right here.
And although I don't see Oculus owning PCVR going that route, as @OmegaM4N mentions, he has a point that many more future iterations of Quests will be sold if PC connectivity is developed further, which in turn will lead to Quest software development and investment hopefully.

If (or when) wireless connectivity comes to Quest, it'll be interesting to see how many people buy and use it as a Quest rather than a Rift. If too few people use it as a Quest it could slow down investment in stand-alone Quest software and we're back to a very PCVR dominant future, which I see as ultimately a hardware only business for anyone other than Valve.

IF oculus are no longer  that interested in having a pure pcvr headset in the mix themselves and they just view PCVR as a nice extra to supplament their standalone devices then there is less reason than ever to not open up their store officially to other headsets imo. I really hoped openXR would start the ball rolling on this. But it hasn't (yet?)

I can't quite figure out what a final outcome is for an open Oculus platform. A lot of non-Oculus headset owners would use it for sure, for a proportion of the time but I think it still comes down to the same thing, Facebook needing to invest large amounts in software to build that platform to attract whatever headset, unless larger proportions of the established dev companies bring more VR games to the table, a lot quicker than they seem to be.

If Oculus aren't making big profits on their own headsets, would they make decent enough returns on the software investment alone? They don't have anything other than VR software to sell, unlike Valve who have a broad church of pancake sofware sales as a cash cow. And things won't change for a while... with 1.29% of Steam users having a VR headset after 4 years, there's still painfully little incentive for all the other sofwtare devs to get involved yet.

Maybe the answer is for an open Oculus platform and Oculus to start selling pancake as well as VR games. Then we have a properly competative market.

kojack
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

kojack said:

dburne said:
Double tap passthrough.

The Quest just got double tap pass through toggle 2 weeks ago, the Rift-S has had it since at least may 2019.

You may have to clarify this one for me as I don't see it.
Understand I am not talking about pressing the Oculus button on Touch twice, I am talking about tapping the side of the headset twice with a finger. And I can attest it works quite well.

From the Version 15 Release notes in Quest:
Experimental Features
  • Passthrough Shortcut - You can now enter Passthrough to see your real world surroundings at any time. Once you’ve enabled the feature, double tap the side of your headset to enter Passthrough. When you're finished, double tap again to return to VR.

I don't consider tapping the side of the headset to be any different to double tapping the home button, in both cases the  actual feature is being able to turn passthrough on and off at will, which the Rift-S got in may 2019 and the Quest got 2 weeks ago after 10 months of people complaining it wasn't there.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

dburne said:

kojack said:

dburne said:
Double tap passthrough.

The Quest just got double tap pass through toggle 2 weeks ago, the Rift-S has had it since at least may 2019.

You may have to clarify this one for me as I don't see it.
Understand I am not talking about pressing the Oculus button on Touch twice, I am talking about tapping the side of the headset twice with a finger. And I can attest it works quite well.

From the Version 15 Release notes in Quest:
Experimental Features
  • Passthrough Shortcut - You can now enter Passthrough to see your real world surroundings at any time. Once you’ve enabled the feature, double tap the side of your headset to enter Passthrough. When you're finished, double tap again to return to VR.

I don't consider tapping the side of the headset to be any different to double tapping the home button, in both cases the  actual feature is being able to turn passthrough on and off at will, which the Rift-S got in may 2019 and the Quest got 2 weeks ago after 10 months of people complaining it wasn't there.

So you are saying the Quest did not have pass-through functionality until this latest release of the software?
 In any event I think it is a cool feature, especially if one happens to not be holding the controller at the time and needs a quick glance around.

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

snowdog said:

You don't have a brand as strong as the Rift and stop development of it. Same goes for the Quest too. They'll continue to release both headsets going forward, with the Rift line using new technology which will filter down eventually to the Quest line once it becomes cheap enough to include in the headsets.

Hand tracking.
Double tap passthrough.
Customizable resolution.
Sharper image in center versus edges to help in performance.
New Universal Menu.

I would say it is fast becoming the opposite, with the new Technology focus now going to the Quest, with filtering to Rift  remaining to be seen.

I was referring to hardware technology, not software. Basically the Half Dome prototype features are highly unlikely to be included in the Quest 2 for the following reasons:

1) The hardware is too expensive to include eye tracking, foveated rendering and a varifocal feature in the Quest because the Quest has a shitload of mobile phone hardware, heatsink and fans inside it.

2) The hardware is currently too bulky to include in the Quest 2 because the Quest 2 has a shitload of mobile phone hardware, heatsink and fans inside it.

3) Even if they upgrade the APU for the Quest 2 it's going to be a waste of time because it won't be able to handle 4K displays at a decent framerate, even with foveated rendering, so one of the headset's main selling points (4K displays) wouldn't apply to using it as a standalone headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

I’ve expressed my opinions on this subject before, but personally I’d be surprised if Oculus continued with separate PC and stand-alone headset product lines. Their work on Link points to the future of both categories. I fully expect the next Oculus device to be a stand-alone with a considerably more powerful processor, and built-in wireless PCVR connectivity.

If they’re going to sell new tech at low margins to build their ecosystem, there are better economies of scale by having one model rather than two nearly identical ones. The only real difference between Quest and Rift is the on-board compute and battery, which could both contribute to advancing PCVR by enabling tetherless play (the on-board processor would decode the video and handle the tracking to minimize the streamed data). 

I think you're probably right here.
And although I don't see Oculus owning PCVR going that route, as @OmegaM4N mentions, he has a point that many more future iterations of Quests will be sold if PC connectivity is developed further, which in turn will lead to Quest software development and investment hopefully.

If (or when) wireless connectivity comes to Quest, it'll be interesting to see how many people buy and use it as a Quest rather than a Rift. If too few people use it as a Quest it could slow down investment in stand-alone Quest software and we're back to a very PCVR dominant future, which I see as ultimately a hardware only business for anyone other than Valve.

IF oculus are no longer  that interested in having a pure pcvr headset in the mix themselves and they just view PCVR as a nice extra to supplament their standalone devices then there is less reason than ever to not open up their store officially to other headsets imo. I really hoped openXR would start the ball rolling on this. But it hasn't (yet?)

I can't quite figure out what a final outcome is for an open Oculus platform. A lot of non-Oculus headset owners would use it for sure, for a proportion of the time but I think it still comes down to the same thing, Facebook needing to invest large amounts in software to build that platform to attract whatever headset, unless larger proportions of the established dev companies bring more VR games to the table, a lot quicker than they seem to be.

If Oculus aren't making big profits on their own headsets, would they make decent enough returns on the software investment alone? They don't have anything other than VR software to sell, unlike Valve who have a broad church of pancake sofware sales as a cash cow. And things won't change for a while... with 1.29% of Steam users having a VR headset after 4 years, there's still painfully little incentive for all the other sofwtare devs to get involved yet.

Maybe the answer is for an open Oculus platform and Oculus to start selling pancake as well as VR games. Then we have a properly competative market.

Facebook aren't interested in making money in the short term because they're in the process of building brands. They haven't made $500m+ in sales in their Stores that they've given to developers and aren't expecting to. Zuckerberg said as much a while back.

They're in this for HUGE long term financial rewards. This is why you'll NEVER see Facebook dropping the Oculus brand to bring a Facebook branded HMD to market, unless Zuckerberg decides to lost the plot. Their plan is to have a brand so strong that there's an Oculus headset in MOST homes around the world in the future, and being used for work purposes too. We're talking about 3.5bn+ Oculus headsets using the Oculus platform and most likely ad revenue playing a part too.

We're not talking about the next few years, we're probably talking about 5-10 years time.

Oculus will continue to release Quest and Rift lines of headsets, and they MIGHT even continue with the Go line.

By the time Zuckerberg has finished that ~$3bn that he paid for Oculus will look like a bargain, and the investment of the century.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My bloody neighbours next door are having an issue with how loud my telly is. They keep knocking on the wall.

It's not as if it's late either, they knocked on the wall at around 11pm, but I've turned it down just in case they're working for the NHS or as a delivery driver or something.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

My bloody neighbours next door are having an issue with how loud my telly is. They keep knocking on the wall.

It's not as if it's late either, they knocked on the wall at around 11pm, but I've turned it down just in case they're working for the NHS or as a delivery driver or something.

you sure they are "knocking" on the wall!

sox96bpwh7eu.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

dburne said:

snowdog said:

You don't have a brand as strong as the Rift and stop development of it. Same goes for the Quest too. They'll continue to release both headsets going forward, with the Rift line using new technology which will filter down eventually to the Quest line once it becomes cheap enough to include in the headsets.

Hand tracking.
Double tap passthrough.
Customizable resolution.
Sharper image in center versus edges to help in performance.
New Universal Menu.

I would say it is fast becoming the opposite, with the new Technology focus now going to the Quest, with filtering to Rift  remaining to be seen.

I was referring to hardware technology, not software. Basically the Half Dome prototype features are highly unlikely to be included in the Quest 2 for the following reasons:

1) The hardware is too expensive to include eye tracking, foveated rendering and a varifocal feature in the Quest because the Quest has a shitload of mobile phone hardware, heatsink and fans inside it.

2) The hardware is currently too bulky to include in the Quest 2 because the Quest 2 has a shitload of mobile phone hardware, heatsink and fans inside it.

3) Even if they upgrade the APU for the Quest 2 it's going to be a waste of time because it won't be able to handle 4K displays at a decent framerate, even with foveated rendering, so one of the headset's main selling points (4K displays) wouldn't apply to using it as a standalone headset.

There is no Quest 2 yet.
Nor Half Dome Device either.
😉 
But I will lay odds we will see a Quest 2 long before a Rift CV2.

kojack
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

So you are saying the Quest did not have pass-through functionality until this latest release of the software?
 In any event I think it is a cool feature, especially if one happens to not be holding the controller at the time and needs a quick glance around.

The Quest has had passthrough since the beginning (crap passthrough, then replaced with the reprojected passthrough+ which is much better).
But it had no way to turn passthrough on and off at will while playing a game. The only way to see passthrough was to move out of the guardian area or go to settings and enable the guardian configuration.

I've theorized in the past on here that the reason was a safety concern, people are more likely to wander further with a Quest in passthrough, and could get into accidents because the old passthrough had incorrect world scale (the cameras don't match your eye IPD). With passthrough+ it's less of an issue, but still unwise. 🙂

But the Rift-S had the ability to turn on passthrough at any time with a double tap on the home button.

Passthrough toggle during a game and finger tracking are two areas where there's a feature parity between Rift-S and Quest (same controllers, both can do passthrough) but Oculus limited it to one headset (Rift-S for toggle and Quest for fingers), at least until now for the toggle.

Anyway, it would be nice to see that VR survey permission dialog pop up at some point. I've got 3 different VR headsets plugged in, but the last time I had a survey request was years ago.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2