cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party cable bandwidth tests

NeilTheNameless
Explorer
Using the new "Test Cable" feature in the Oculus app...

Joto 3m cable:-
  • To motherboard's USB sockets front and back (Asus Z97-A) = 1.8Gbps
  • To Inateck Superspeed PCIe card = 1.5Gbps

UGreen 5m extension + Joto 3m cable:-
  • To Motherboard's USB sockets = 1.6Gbps

note 1: I've heard someone say their 3m AmazonBasics cable gave them 2.3Gbps?
note 2: Using a 90 degree adapter to make cable go nicely down side of Quest makes no difference to speed.
note 3: What real world difference does a 3Gbps result make over say a 1.5Gbps result? Is there any difference in response or graphics quality?

23 REPLIES 23

leeonl
Explorer
I got 1.9Gbps with my 5m usb 3rd party cable.Although I can hapyyli link with 1.2super sampling now, I'm still curious about the performance of official cables

NeilTheNameless
Explorer

leeonl said:

... link with 1.2super sampling now

Sorry, what do you mean by that?

ClassicGOD
Protege

leeonl said:

I got 1.9Gbps with my 5m usb 3rd party cable.Although I can hapyyli link with 1.2super sampling now, I'm still curious about the performance of official cables

Official Link cable on my PC gets 1.8Gbps, same with all of my higher-end USB 3.0 A-C cables but keep in mind that this bandwidth is most likely limited by Z87 chipset on my motherboard (it is dependent on how mych bandwidth is available and how it's split between ports etc etc) or by Quest itself and I use USB A to C adapter. I have no issues with Link on this configuration so we can assume that anything around this number is just fine. 

To test the real available bandwidth the test should be performed on a current generation motherboard (preferably with Intel USB controller as they seem to be most reliable) after a reboot with only Quest plugged in to USB 3 ports. No adapters, no extenders etc. 
The advent of computers and the subsequent accumulation of incalculable data has given rise to a new system of memory and thought, parallel to your own. Humanity has underestimated the consequences of computerization.

jrrrrr
Explorer
I have a little data to contribute. My setup:

• Anker PowerLine 10ft USB-C to USB 3.0
  • ASUS B450-I
  • Ryzen 5 3600

Plugged into the red USB ports on the motherboard (USB 3.1 Gen 2 via the B450 chipset), Test Cable reports:
Bandwidth 1.8Gbps, Connection: USB 3

Plugged in to the blue USB ports (USB 3.1 Gen 1, I believe routed directly to the processor):
Bandwidth: 2.3Gbps, Connection: USB 3

Does anyone know if the Oculus Link connection will tune itself based on available bandwidth? Should I expect it to behave differently based on the extra ~500Mbps my better ports provide?

Dac_
Honored Guest
I am also curious "What real world difference does a 3Gbps result make over say a 1.5Gbps
result? Is there any difference in graphic quality?" - Note that i do not believe it would have any difference in latency based on what I've read.

The question is, is it worth it to try to get a USB 3.1 Gen 2 working at full 10Gbps?

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I get 1.7GB/s 
Using this cable here.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/87405/oculus-link-cable#latest

I have virtually no issues with my setup, just the odd visual glitch in O Home.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

ATP-Flo
Expert Protege

Using the new "Test Cable" feature in the Oculus app...

Where do I find that feature?
I don't know where to do this.

Okay found it myself.
You got to completely setup Link again.
I thought you could do this later too.

I get 1.7Gbit/s with an 8m cable:
5m cablecreation extension
3m JOTO USB-A-to-C Cable
90° USB-C Adapter

79rb258c62wz.jpg

Graywolves
Honored Guest
I have two cables.
1. USB3.0 AtoA Extender 5M+ AtoC 3M
2. USB CtoC Extender 1M+ CtoC 3M

No.1 Cables into 
USB 3.1 Gen2 (z390) 1.8Gbps
USB 3.1 Gen1 (z390) 1.8Gbps

No.2 Cables into
Thunderbolt 3 (z390) 1.9Gbps
Nvidia VirtualLink 2.2Gbps

s2z7fkca1qq4.png

enigma01
Trustee
Just got around to testing this on mine... and my results are pretty odd!

I usually use a passive Ugreen 3 metre extension + 2 metre USB A to C giving me 5 metres total. This is connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 1. I get 1.9 Gbps on this. 

Just for comparison I thought I would try a Cable Matters 1 metre USB C Gen 2 cable rated at 10Gbps, connected to my laptops Thunderbolt / USB C 3.1 Gen 2. The test result was also 1.9 Gbps!

I too would be really interested if someone could post results for the official cable, as it would appear there would be no improvement if I got it? Seen as a 1 metre USB Gen 2 cable is giving me the same results as 5 metres of USB Gen 1 cable A to C cable. 

Link has actually been performing pretty fine with the Ugreen cables I have.