cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus CV1 Warranty Mod?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
There have been some suggestions of modd'ing the CV1 to extend its life after the inevitable.

Would there be interest to extend the life rather than compromise with the alternatives?

19cz0oytk8pc.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
34 REPLIES 34

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Mradr said:

The only reason you like to use SS + AA is because of the short comings on CV1 screens that could be replace right now with better OLED full range RGB thus removing half the performance problems while providing a better screen image.

Fully agree - I'd love for Oculus to put the Quest oled panels in a CV1 and call it a CV2 or whatever they like - no need to change headphones, tracking nor Touch! Oculus would be the king of price, image quality, performance and quality (=tracking + audio) by such a simple solution. 

Btw, due to Alyx I've not been using CV1 for a few weeks, and going back to the CV1 SDE can be tough - but forcing very high levels of ss helps a lot - but we are spending an extreme amount of gpu power to make using an old Gen1 oled hmd bearable. I do doubt that many will buy into VRSS and other RTX features just to make their CV1 shine in a few supported games though 😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Mradr said:

The only reason you like to use SS + AA is because of the short comings on CV1 screens that could be replace right now with better OLED full range RGB thus removing half the performance problems while providing a better screen image.

Fully agree - I'd love for Oculus to put the Quest oled panels in a CV1 and call it a CV2 or whatever they like - no need to change headphones, tracking nor Touch! Oculus would be the king of price, image quality, performance and quality (=tracking + audio) by such a simple solution. 

Btw, due to Alyx I've not been using CV1 for a few weeks, and going back to the CV1 SDE can be tough - but forcing very high levels of ss helps a lot - but we are spending an extreme amount of gpu power to make using an old Gen1 oled hmd bearable. I do doubt that many will buy into VRSS and other RTX features just to make their CV1 shine in a few supported games though 😉 

Correct - my point is that CV1 is outdated and trying to keep pushing forward is a bit silly at this point. Oculus really needs to push forward with something. Thus my "insert rant" comments above. 

Inserts Mradr's ramble that Quest will take over creating stand-alone-pc.. Quest-2-Go, Quest-2-Home, Quest-2-PC....

Im just lazy at this point - I wrote full post about these topics already. Oculus doesn't read them and they wont listen to the community either - so I gave up:3 

Netheri
Rising Star
@RuneSR2 i still would've appreciated, if you disabled the adaptive GPU Scaling with ASW before you tested the Stormland. 😉 How was the headroom on Stormland on SS 2.0 45fps and how much was it in 1.3SS 90 FPS with the Scaling and ASW enabled?  In any way, some ppl notice 45fps vs. 90fps more than others. My eyestrain is much worse on 45fps than on 90fps. Also, if in Home my rig goes over 1.3SS without "cheats" the hands start to lag & stutter right away and also looking around gets the stutter, everything over 1.4 start to produce slower and slower still image show. Of course, i can try locked 45fps with 2.0SS without adaptive CPU Scaling and see, what happens. What i think will happen is a still image show.

Fact is: For native 90fps (or more) with SS2.0 (multiplying the native combined resolution of Rift) no matter the game there really would be a behemoth of a machine needed. I think DLSS2.0 and with it in the end eye tracked foveated rendering will bring even more fidelity for the VR resolutions with same or even less power we have on out rig at the moment. 
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Netheri said:

@RuneSR2 i still would've appreciated, if you disabled the adaptive GPU Scaling with ASW before you tested the Stormland. 😉 How was the headroom on Stormland on SS 2.0 45fps and how much was it in 1.3SS 90 FPS with the Scaling and ASW enabled?  In any way, some ppl notice 45fps vs. 90fps more than others. My eyestrain is much worse on 45fps than on 90fps. Also, if in Home my rig goes over 1.3SS without "cheats" the hands start to lag & stutter right away and also looking around gets the stutter, everything over 1.4 start to produce slower and slower still image show. Of course, i can try locked 45fps with 2.0SS without adaptive CPU Scaling and see, what happens. What i think will happen is a still image show.

Fact is: For native 90fps (or more) with SS2.0 (multiplying the native combined resolution of Rift) no matter the game there really would be a behemoth of a machine needed. I think DLSS2.0 and with it in the end eye tracked foveated rendering will bring even more fidelity for the VR resolutions with same or even less power we have on out rig at the moment. 

It did take some time to test - OTT doesn't change on the fly in Stormland (but does in Dash), so I had to restart Stormland every time I changed ss - also accessing the desktop to see performance in fps or the pixel density hud was a bit of a chore. I'm convinced we're seeing the same issues, I'm confident that my rig will behave similar to yours, especially after seeing that I had to use ss 1.3 to get 90 fps in Stormland. Asw is the main reason to why I still use the CV1 - otherwise I'd probably have bought Vive Pro a long time ago, so it makes little sense to me to disable to most important feature Oculus ever made - the asw 2.0. And I do plan on getting back in Alyx as soon as possible, as I have very little time for VR. 

Note that OTT overrides adaptive gpu scaling - I get solid ss 2.0, there's no adaptive scaling. Adaptive scaling just means that ss automatically adjusts to keep 90 fps - and that's totally deactivated forcing a global ss using OTT - but asw will kick in when needed. 

To me it would be much more interesting to hear about your performance in Stormland using ss 1.5 and with real time shadows deactivated - just to use same settings, but again we would really need to compare the same level. I'd be surprised if you don't get solid 90 fps using ss 1.5. 

Or I'd recommend you to try Lucky's Tale, it's a tiny download - just to see if you don't get solid 90 fps using ss 2.5 no matter your settings for asw and adaptive gpu scaling. If you get solid 90 fps in Lucky's Tale using ss 2.5 I'm sure you're getting the right performance from your 2080 Super. Or try Space Pirate Trainer - you can always refund it, just don't play for more than 2 hours 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Netheri
Rising Star
@RuneSR2 thanks for testing and confirming what i suspected. Although OTT doesn't override the GPU scale totally, the Scaler tries to drop the SS, but it can't which (as should) produces big still show as the system can't just make it especially when asw to 45 is disabled. 

I would gladly test Stormland, Asgards Wrath, Lone Echo but i've decided to not support Oculus or Facebook in any way with money anymore, that meaning i won't get Oculus Studios products or even nothing else from it's store. I'm not even getting the freebies. It's my policy against FB because of Supports behaviour, and general thingies we all know. Just waiting the financial (or maybe a bit later and if it's being a super system in about same price range as Index; Reverb G2) moment to ditch the whole system to another. But until then, i gladly fiddle with the Rifts performance with OTT and Debug Tool. 

Thanks again RuneSR2 from testing for me!
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2