cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official TV Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just thought I'd start a thread where we can all share what we've all been watching.

I'm just finishing the fifth and final series of The Gentle Touch starring the lovely Jill Gascoigne as DI Maggie Forbes. It's a programme from the 80s and is excellent.

Next up for me is the second series of Monkey, known as Monkey Magic in the States I think. If you haven't seen it then you HAVE to check it out. It's a Japanese programme from the 80s that tells the legend of Monkey, Piggsy, Sandy and Tripitaka who travel through Asia to pick up the Buddhist Sacred Scrolls. Some may be familiar of the legend from the video game Enslaved: Odyssey Of The West.

I love rewatching stuff from the 70s and 80s regularly, they don't make telly like that any more which is a real shame. All we seem to see these days is mostly reality TV bollocks with the odd gem hidden here and there. 😞

So what are you guys and girls watching?
351 REPLIES 351

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just bought this one - can't have the evil streaming companies to win over the lovely disc producers  o:)

Image result for true detective season 3 blu-ray

So far it's awesome, ok not season 1 awesome, but seems much more in line with season 1 than 2. Only watched episodes 1 and 2 so far, will continue tonight. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

One tv series (not zombies) that I'm really excited about is the Tales From The Loop series being made by Amazon. It's based on the artwork of Simon Stalenhag, from his books Tales From The Loop and Things From The Flood, about life in the 80's in Sweden near a particle accelerator that messes up reality. (The series won't be set in sweden though)
His website has a HUGE amount of his artwork, including multiple shots of each piece to zoom in on various details.

There's also a film being made right now about Simon's third book Electric State, about a girl and her robot sidekick traveling across post apocalyptic america (I don't have the book yet, but from the artwork I've seen it appears VR headsets wiped out or enslaved most of humanity).

One and a half years since that post and... Tales From The Loop came out on Amazon today!
It's got 8 episodes, each about 52-57min.
The visual style is a perfect copy of Simon's artwork.

It's pretty heavy. I've just watched 2 episodes and I'm going to have to do something to cheer myself up (maybe some Audica). It's awesome, but it's almost like a slow burn twilight zone.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Wildt
Consultant
I just finished season 1 of Altered Carbon, and liked it quite a bit. Was all ready to start season 2 until I saw the abysmal reviews from people who loved season 1. 
Any of you guys seen it?
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

kojack
MVP
MVP
I liked Altered Carbon season 1, but season 2 just didn't feel up to the same standard. Still an ok show, but it didn't seem as good.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Wildt
Consultant
Roger that. I'll skip season 2.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

getlines
Honored Guest
I finished watching I-Land last night and it was great. Only a one series wonder which is unusual these days and only 7 episodes long. B

FitBoy01
Explorer

snowdog said:

I LOVED Babylon 5, I rewatch it every few years. Farscape and Lexx too.

I am with you Dude

Anonymous
Not applicable
I watched the second series of Top Of The Lake and really enjoyed it.

Both series revolve around a Kiwi cop that returned home after working in Oz and the second series she goes back to Australia again.

She's dead fit too ????

First series started with a pregnant 12 year old trying to top herself in a lake and second series started with a pro's body in a suitcase being dumped in the sea. ?

Luciferous
Consultant

kojack said:

I liked Altered Carbon season 1, but season 2 just didn't feel up to the same standard. Still an ok show, but it didn't seem as good.

The first book Altered carbon is really a classic and I can thoroughly recommend it.  I must have listened to it three times on audible. The second book is just a good read but nothing memorable. They must have decided to skip it and just write something based on the world.

It could be a book further down the line but I doubt it as they screwed with the first story line so much it probably had a knock on effect to the other stories.

Season one was good as a stand alone but they butchered the story. Still I enjoyed it. 

I would skip season 2, it's a standard formula based attempt, politically correct to the point of complete blandness. Normally what happens when the first is a success and then too many people get involved trying to please everybody.

I am going to end by recommending the book again as it is a brilliant, atmospheric,cyber punk, dystopian story that is  even better than Blade Runner (although in that case the film was better than the book it was based on) 🙂 

Digikid1
Consultant
Just watched the series "Salvation" on Netflix.  Good series.