cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leak Reveals New OculusVR Standalone Prototype!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Facebook Leaks Codename For ‘Del Mar’ Standalone Headset With ‘Jedi Controller’

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-del-mar-quest-2/

Will there be a CV2 for the Rift also in the works? Or is Link the solution?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
58 REPLIES 58

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

My ex was better than Elon Musk and Gabe Newell will ever be... just the slightest look was enough to control my movements/appetite/libido.

she controlled your mind, i see. a woman who controls minds loses her mind and she lost you 

Richooal
Consultant

kevinw729 said:

Will there be a CV2 for the Rift also in the works? Or is Link the solution?

Given that Rift S was handed over to Lenovo, and pretty much all software development has gone to Quest, Link and social stuff, and all the original Oculus PCVR champions have left Oculus.................. I reckon Rift has been cut adRift.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Richooal said:
Given that Rift S was handed over to Lenovo, and pretty much all software development has gone to Quest, Link and social stuff, and all the original Oculus PCVR champions have left Oculus.................. I reckon Rift has been cut adRift.

That seems to have been the opinion by all the smart money @Richooal (saw what you did there)!

To put some more context on it - Oculus has not given up on PCVR, but has allowed the development team leads for Rift2 and on Half Dome and Half Dome 3 to move on to other jobs, cut PC based development investment, and handed over the majority of PCVR support (for the now only platform the Rift-S). What little PCVR support is focused on the work needed on Quest and Quest2 Link cable compliance, and the issues of performance and acceptance. 

While it would seem that the lip service remaining is to ensure that the exodus from the original PCVR loyalists, and Rift (CV1) owners remains, so avoiding image assassination if they left them high and dry.  The ability to roll out a Half Dome 4 demonstration at OC7 will be also a good publicity point-score.

For the Oculus-loyalist remaining - the realization of the lack of a true CV2 in the medium term sunk in back in 2019, with the exodus of many of the usual suspects to other platforms, or just content to continue using their CV1 hardware, or attempt to extol the Rift-S, ignoring its issues. The surprisingly quiet nature of forums like this and the Oculus closed developers forum on FB, are example of the eventual acceptance of the situation by the once vocal aspects of the scene - as they just enjoy using their VR tech in lockdown, rather than talking about it!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

Richooal said:

That seems to have been the opinion by all the smart money @Richooal (saw what you did there)!

To put some more context on it - Oculus has not given up on PCVR, but has allowed the development team leads for Rift2 and on Half Dome and Half Dome 3 to move on to other jobs, cut PC based development investment, and handed over the majority of PCVR support (for the now only platform the Rift-S). What little PCVR support is focused on the work needed on Quest and Quest2 Link cable compliance, and the issues of performance and acceptance. 

While it would seem that the lip service remaining is to ensure that the exodus from the original PCVR loyalists, and Rift (CV1) owners remains, so avoiding image assassination if they left them high and dry.  The ability to roll out a Half Dome 4 demonstration at OC7 will be also a good publicity point-score.

For the Oculus-loyalist remaining - the realization of the lack of a true CV2 in the medium term sunk in back in 2019, with the exodus of many of the usual suspects to other platforms, or just content to continue using their CV1 hardware, or attempt to extol the Rift-S, ignoring its issues. The surprisingly quiet nature of forums like this and the Oculus closed developers forum on FB, are example of the eventual acceptance of the situation by the once vocal aspects of the scene - as they just enjoy using their VR tech in lockdown, rather than talking about it!

All the Half Dome talk/publicity is just lip service. All sounds good but until they actually start to use the technology they like to showcase  that is all it is. 

Heaney-555
Heroic Explorer
Half-Dome is a research project. It was shown off publicly to attract more researchers.

If "Del Mar" is what we think it is (a Quest successor fixing Quest's flaws), I'd expect it to also be a capable PC VR headset to replace Rift S. Perhaps even with a Wireless Link Dongle.

Facebook isn't ending its PC VR offering. But PC VR may simply become a mode for standalone headsets (as Link is), not a dedicated headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Half-Dome is a research project. It was shown off publicly to attract more researchers.

If "Del Mar" is what we think it is (a Quest successor fixing Quest's flaws), I'd expect it to also be a capable PC VR headset to replace Rift S. Perhaps even with a Wireless Link Dongle.

Facebook isn't ending its PC VR offering. But PC VR may simply become a mode for standalone headsets (as Link is), not a dedicated headset.

Yes, they will keep face for PCVR - so there will be a "successor" it just wont be the leap forward. For example, the leap forward would be that of the StarOne with eye tracking, high res screens, more FOV, etc etc. But that isn't what we will be getting with another slow upgrade path in the price point that want to keep at. Thus we will get another Rift S 2 with improve numbers here and there - just not new features. Did you know they could sell the Rift S cheaper than they are? Yea - not really that impressive... They even had the nerv to talk about the Rift S and how it didn't have the room or money to add more - then they release Quest that had dual higher res screens (2x screens!) that cost almost half what the headset sells for and still has the money for everything + mobile hardware. Total BS.

As for wireless - Link still is bandwidth starve even over a cable - so I dont think you will see  it with USB 3. Maybe with USB 4 that is coming out next year. The problem with wireless is that is is slow and costly - so having the ability to do it wireless would add noticeable cost to the headset/production. It would take up an "update" slot for sure. I predict if they do add it to GO and HOME/Quest they will limit the pixel increases they will get going forward so they can stay with in the limits of wireless and USB.

Question is - if that happens really. What I predict is that they will move away from that even more and go to Quest-2-Go, Quest-2-Home, and Quest-2-PC. All with different specs - but all supporting mobile hardware and using Link for Go-Home and another connector for PC that would have the highest specs - more than Rift S - but still the "new" technology upgrade part would be the ability across all lines to support mobile and pc.

The controller technology upgrades seems awesome though. Any improvement there will go a long ways for all three headset line ups. I wonder though - if its double the polling rate - what they will do the battery life?

Del Mar sounds just like I was predicting :3 Good luck everyone.

* IF Oculus wants to make right - they need to drop the idea that PCVR has to stay in the sub 400$ range - and rely on their other models GO and Quest/Home to take that up instead with Link (or another input method) going forward and allow PCVR to have a higher price point. As for now, I dont 'see that happening and if they do raise the price for PCVR - it'll only because they will aline their hardware down the product stack to match while customers will pay for something they didn't want with it.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The section of Oculus Store with Rift Experiences does seem to be neglected these days. Sure new releases are still posted - but recently Oculus forgot to post the currently highest rated Rift(-S) game with more than 40 ratings (or 100 ratings) in the New Releases section - namely The Room VR: A Dark Matter, which currently has an average rating of 98 % based on 114 ratings. I doubt such a mistake would have happened 1-2 years ago. 
Seems like Oculus doesn't care much for the Rift right now, even if they might enjoy increased hmd sales due to Alyx just as much as Valve... In fact Alyx may be the biggest ever PCVR platform push for Oculus...  

Quest now has a "Daily Deal" and "Stay Home/Stay Active" deals. There are no similar promotions for Rift Experiences, although there still is a section for experiences "on sale now". 

Seems a bit dead-ish in the Rift section to me. Again fully understandable, Rift Experiences probably aren't going to sell 1 billion hmds, but to me that's kinda a silly goal - let's start with 10 mill and then maybe 25 mill... 

I get the feeling that many people simply don't like to wear a HMD, or just don't have enough room space, not sure developing the most amazing high-res hmd with super-tracking will change that. I think current hmds are fine and I doubt that new high-end PCVR hmds will be like a second coming of Christ that the masses will bow to - we don't need more hmds for now, we got more than enough - but we need more Alyx-class content. And let's have those Ampere gpus launched too 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Yeah, I'd go along with this.

I wasn't too keen on the Quest as a PCVR replacement for the Rift and I'm still not totally ok with it, mainly because I'm really happy with the comfort of the S and I have reservations about the slightly lower refresh rate and early performance and reliability of Link during its beta stage. I also have questions over the cost and design considerations necessary for a combined PCVR capable - standalone headset if the vast majority of what you want to do is just PCVR.

I'm gradually changing my mind though and having more fun with the untethered Quest. Plus if Oculus are continuing to give Link reasonably high levels of development resources, and if the next Quest has good performance improvements, I'm losing my doubts about it becoming a good Rift replacement as well as stand-alone. I think it could be difficult to argue that the next Quest isn't a Rift with stand-alone capabilities built-in.

In any event, I see no reason why Oculus/Facebook would drop PCVR at all. I think it's increasingly coming down to whether people define Rift as PCVR capable headset or define it as a PCVR-only headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oculus will release the Half Dome prototype as a PC VR headset in 2022 because they can't use the tech inside the Half Dome prototype for a standalone headset.

There simply isn't room inside a standalone headset for the smartphone tech, heatsink and fans and the Half Dome prototype tech, plus with all that tech inside it the headset will be too expensive. You'll be looking at the thing costing $600+ even if they could squeeze everything in there.

We'll see the Quest 2 and Rift 2 releasing in 2022. The Rift 2 will have 4K BOE fast-switch LCDs, eye tracking, foveated rendering and MAYBE the varifocal feature and sell it for $399-$499.

And any changes made to the controllers will appear on both the Quest 2 and Rift 2.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Forgot to add my most important point above. You don't spend millions of dollars showcasing tech the way they have done these last few years and not bring it to market.

They're planning on bringing this to the Rift line of products and when manufacturing costs come down and cooling for smartphone hardware improves they'll bring it to the Quest line of products.