cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would my ASUS ROG GU501GM Laptop work with Oculus Link and/or Oculus rift s-No display ports

Eastark7400
Honored Guest
The Model:GU501GM-BI7N8 ( I unfortunately can't post links yet). I've been going through reddit and  various forums and can't seem to get a direct answer. 
My laptop as a hdmi port, USB 3.1, 3.0 ports that are connected to the gpu and a USB-C/Thunderbolt port that is connected to the cpu not gpu. I am unable to change my gpu mode on my computer from what I found. I am wondering if there is anyway to work around this or if anyone had any luck using these devices with this laptop! Work arounds like converters with oculus link or anyone having actual success with the rift s being used through the cpu on this computer?
8 REPLIES 8

WittWise
Honored Guest
Hi Eastark7400!

I am 95% sure there's no work around for the oculus rift s due to it running through the cpu and using displayport, however I have purchased an oculus quest and link cable, (both of which should be arriving next week) so I should have an answer for you then if you're still searching for an answer! 

Will let you know as soon as I plug them into my laptop and give it a try 🙂

TwrchTrwydd
Adventurer
@Eastark7400
As far as I have collected technical data about your laptop it has an Nvidia GTX 1060M (Mobile) on board.
This might be below the minimum specs for Quest + Link.
If @wittwise has the same hardware as you it will turn out pretty soon if it will work.
But I would not bet the farm........

kojack
MVP
MVP
The requirements for Link are here: https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335
The 1060M is currently not supported.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

WittWise
Honored Guest

@Eastark7400
As far as I have collected technical data about your laptop it has an Nvidia GTX 1060M (Mobile) on board.

The Asus GU501GM laptop does not have a 1060M though... it has a 6GB DESKTOP GTX 1060 inside, believe me I was sure to check that first when purchasing my laptop. My only worry relates to the fact that the Type C USB 3.1 port routes through the motherboard to the CPU first not the GPU. Any way you could clarify if that would be an issue? @kojack

WittWise
Honored Guest
Anyways, my girlfriend already let me know the headset and cable have arrived at home. I should have an answer for you all later this evening when I get off of work :smile:

WittWise
Honored Guest
Posting through my quest now! I can confirm it does work through oculus link on the type c port on the laptop! i used the cheaper 16ft partylink cable from amazon and it will also power the headset! Have a good one! ?

Richooal
Consultant

WittWise said:

Posting through my quest now! I can confirm it does work through oculus link on the type c port on the laptop! i used the cheaper 16ft partylink cable from amazon and it will also power the headset! Have a good one! ?

Good news!
It's all irrelevant now, but I'm really curious about how they fitted a desktop version video card inside your laptop. Also why you think you have a desktop version in your laptop.
68nc6lofzpa2.jpg

Are am I reading it wrong?

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

WittWise
Honored Guest
Ok so when they say a "desktop" graphics card in a laptop it just means all of the chips, memory, throughput (aka bandwidth), and clockspeed are all the same as the card you would drop into your desktop.

Usually they're still wired through the cpu like other mobile graphics cards in order for the integrated graphics to be used instead sometimes for battery saving. But the hdmi ports are wired directly to the graphics card.

However "mobile" graphics cards, usually noted by an m moniker Ex. 960m 1060m etc. Are wired solely through the integrated graphics on the cpu (great for battery life but causes a huge bottleneck for performance). They also tend to have lower clockspeeds and lower vram and are made to draw less power for gaming on the go.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?