New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

v17 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 314 Oculus Staff
Social Reporting
  • We’ve made improvements to in-VR reporting. These changes include:
    • Streamlined the reporting process.
    • Updated language around reasons for report.
    • Prevented reports from being submitted without evidence.
    • Improved clarity around when a report has been successfully submitted.
Oculus Link
  • General Stability improvements

Comments

• MakGarettMakGarett Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2020
    Oculus Link
    Link still doesn't work anymore for me after updating Oculus app. Still no V17 on Quest side for the moment hope it will start to work again.
  • dhrtodhrto Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Yay more social features! Those are indeed the most important functionalities!

OK joking aside... in-VR reporting doesn't sound bad at all I must admit. Guess the Rift S died an early death. It's been just a over a year since launch and already seemed to be abandoned... tsk tsk... 
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    dhrto said:
    Guess the Rift S died an early death. It's been just a over a year since launch and already seemed to be abandoned... tsk tsk... 
    They didn't just abandon it they broke it first.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • maxstepmaxstep Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2020
    Rift S connected to USB 3.0 ports - before v17 I would rarely get the Rift S not show USB 3.0 and restarting the software would have always fixed it. With the latest v17 no amounts of restarts or power downs bring up the usb 3.0 status, I updated the drivers for the headset when prompted of course.

The only way to go back to USB 3.0 functionality is to un-enroll into beta, but if I understand correctly once v17 becomes public Im looking at a likelihood of the headset not seeing that the port is 3.0 for some reason, and just am worried. Thank you for the help!
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 2,083 Valuable Player
    My CV1 still works on this version V 17.0.0.83.462

I note that the experimental feature of glancing down to show the floor boundary is still missing from the "Experimental" tab.
    Those people who enabled it are now not able to turn it off without a complete reinstall of the Oculus software.

Asking people to join in testing the experimental stuff seems like a good idea, but if you're going to end the experiment it would be nice to let people know. "What's New" could be used, for example.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• sleepynerosleepynero Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Any idea on when the new platform SDK will be up?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,427 Valuable Player
    Hmm interesting, not much of an update it would seem this time.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited April 2020
    dburne said:
    Hmm interesting, not much of an update it would seem this time.
    A quick turn around too. Their "progress" stops for nothing. Not even fixing problems.

Meanwhile, millions of Oculus users around the world are rejoicing the ability to send and receive clickable links and report each other more efficiently. The joys of "social" media.

NerveGear
    My titles now crash on launch when my PC doesn't have internet. I've been able to play all of my Oculus titles offline prior to this update...
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,373 Valuable Player
    My titles now crash on launch when my PC doesn't have internet. I've been able to play all of my Oculus titles offline prior to this update...
    Please let Oculus support know.  Thanks 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/Index controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• marcinbijanmarcinbijan Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 2020
    Same here, Oculus exclusives crash on start

I rolled back to V16 and it's all fine
  • KootKoot Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    5 PTC/release versions since small-size pinned windows are completely broken and don't work, is this some joke?

• davevillzdavevillz Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 2020
    Many reports of crashes on startup on Pavlov even with people just using revive.

LibOVRPlatform64_1     0x00000000a3100000 + 180525  
    LibOVRPlatform64_1     0x00000000a3100000 + fa6ce   
    LibOVRPlatform64_1     0x00000000a3100000 + f6ffa   
    LibOVRPlatform64_1     0x00000000a3100000 + 17fe3b  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 40764c  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 963840  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 9a2b2c  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 9abead  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 9a285d  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 274e3a  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 2781ac  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 273243  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 27346a  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 27bb97  
    Pavlov-Win64-Shipping  0x000000003d300000 + 229ad76 
    KERNEL32               0x00000000f1bf0000 + 17bd4   
    ntdll                  0x00000000f3800000 + 6ce51   

NerveGear
    edited April 2020
    Some new system they're working on called "Verts" that now has to initialize when games start up.

This new system needs a oauth key to talk to graph.oculus.com, and crashes the platform initialization when it can't get it (eg, you're offline) since its eventually tries to convert nothing into a string.
  • jabjab Posts: 314
    Trinity
    edited April 2020
    That is some prime quality coding right there in need of some "General Stability improvements".
  • MysticNinjaSoulMysticNinjaSoul Posts: 9
    Brain Burst
    Wow really, completely forget about the ones that supported you the most. The Rift/Rift-S users, you have completely just thrown us in the corner. Guess I will be selling my Rift-S here soon, since every last update pretty much bricks it and I am spending wasted time trying to troubleshoot and fix it
  • DeliriumTrigger2113DeliriumTrigger2113 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This update causes my CV1 to report that it needs a USB3 connection despite being plugged into one.  Switched ports, got the green check mark for a solid connection, put the headset on and nothing happens.  Go back into the devices screen and it says "Poor tracking" when the screen is black and there's no audio.  Tried reseating the HDMI cable, plugging into every USB3 port on my system, nothing worked.  The only thing that fixed it was rolling back to v16.

I really hope you take this seriously and actually fix this before pushing it out to everyone as a release.  My headset has been a bundle of problems since December, with low overhead, constant stuttering that can only be fixed by a reboot, a complete inability to do any supersampling without stutters despite having an RTX 2080, and other nagging issues like pinned Dash windows being glitchy.  But at least on some level it still works.  If this update is pushed to release as is, my headset will be non-functional.

If you need any further information from me like logs or want to do some troubleshooting steps to try and figure out the issue feel free to contact me at the email associated with this account.  I'll happily help in any way I can if it means this software wont be released until the issue is fixed.

Would be best to open a support ticket really, or at the least use the submit feedback feature.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • FangzhouFangzhou Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hope Oculus can unlock 90fps (or even more) for Rift S and let user choose 80fps if their PC is not powerful. 
  • joaquitoguevarajoaquitoguevara Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I notice some wobbliness in Oculus Link. I think this update reduced it, but it's worse than v14/v15. Like when in Virtual Desktop you throw your controller in a lattice fashion. Maybe it's some movement prediction or something. Anyone?
  • XarstealthXarstealth Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    You're going to lose everyone if you keep making social updates only. A lot of people already lost faith in you.
    Although for now, I'll pretend the lack of actual updates is due to coronavirus. After that, you better have something worth it for PC VR.
    Oh well ill keep buying games from steam untill they dont do something for cabled rifts and i also save some money due to lower prices in most cases,
    rift s is not even getting new features wich should be for both rift and quest ^^ wtf at least enable us to use wmr so we can do more without you

• AesthetikerAesthetiker Posts: 18
    Brain Burst
    Are the developer aware of this problem? https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/issues-in-vr-with-latest-oculus-rift-firmware-update-resolved.61524/  

Please have a look and report back.....  
  • BigJimHunterBigJimHunter Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Rift S broke again... Everytime I restart the oculus software that it tells me to, I touch my headset and it needs to restart again. I had this same problem a month or two ago.... why are they breaking the software in the same way they just fixed it prior????

Whoever they have making drivers for this stuff really is not learning from their past mistakes.
    With the latest updates seemingly more Quest centric, I wonder why they don't just put the PTC out for the Quest first, or even release the PTC for both Rift and Quest as well.
    Don

• HwangPLHwangPL Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Pavlov not working on 17. Reverting to 16 fixed the 'issue'
  • TheWors3TheWors3 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    can you guys please allow quest to use the full color range while using link? blacks are grey and contrast is reduced, colors washed out...
  • blazeflreblazeflre Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    MakGarett said:
    Oculus Link
    Link still doesn't work anymore for me after updating Oculus app. Still no V17 on Quest side for the moment hope it will start to work again.
    Same here I haven't been able to play since april 12
    TheWors3 said:
    can you guys please allow quest to use the full color range while using link? blacks are grey and contrast is reduced, colors washed out...

If you want the real deal, buy a Rift. They cost a bit more than a cable though.