Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbelievable! Valve fixes the Rift because Oculus won't

Anonymous
Not applicable
Latest SteamVR driver includes this in its update notes:

Oculus:
Fix for application performance activating ASW

And... it absolutely works. The stuttering introduced in the December Oculus update has been a major and vocal problem for alot of people. After 6 months of smooth playback, I haven't been able to use my Rift S at all in either Oculus' software or in Steam without horrible stuttering. We have all known its related to ASW but Oculus has done nothing to address it. Now Steam releases this fix and I can use my Rift again for the first time in 4.5 months, but ONLY in Steam. Everything is still completely broken through Oculus' software. That blows my mind that I can only use Oculus' hardware in someone else's software. It also blows my mind that Valve/Steam stepped up and fixed a rival's headset performance for them that Oculus themselves won't even bother with.

I can now fire up a complex game like Half-Life Alyx in Steam (which stuttered horribly before this update) and now it plays perfectly. But if I simply open up Oculus Home its a stuttering mess. I sincerely hope that this is horribly embarrassing for Oculus and that it lights a fire under them to fix this issue.

In the meantime I cannot see any reason in the world why anyone would buy games through Oculus instead of Steam.
13 REPLIES 13

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Yea they fixed an issue on their end.
There have been some folks with issues since December but thats is not the norm.
It is a software conflict somewhere on their end.

I have never had an issue but I play all my games off the oculus home I dont play on steam.
Though I have purchased No mans land and Hellblade on steam i should prob test and see if either give me these stuttering issues.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I play Steam games, I play Oculus games, I play other games like combat flight sims, one with Oculus support and one with Steam VR support. I also use Open Composite for one of my Steam VR games.

My Rift S has performance a champ through all revisions of the software since getting it last May.
Based on what I see on the forums here, the noise to signal ratio is really rather low considering how many folks view all the threads in the forum. I doubt there are any game breaking issues that are widespread, if there were there would be hundreds of folks screaming to high heaven about them.
Like the time way back when Oculus let a digital certificate expire and the Rift went dark for a day. There were thousands of posts screaming.

For the few that are experiencing game breaking issues, I would strongly suggest a very good look at their system and/or software they run.  Failing that, then with a support ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

For the few that are experiencing game breaking issues, I would strongly suggest a very good look at their system and/or software they run.  Failing that, then with a support ticket.

I'm glad that your Rift works for you and I'm sure it works similarly for the vast majority of users. But this problem is very real, very well documented, and very much on Oculus' end. If you haven't noticed the incredible number of people complaining about it than you are not looking, probably because you aren't experiencing it. For what it is worth, I see this issue talked about alot more in Oculus' Reddit than here. Yes we are still very much in the minority but that is because they are selling millions of units and either way its absolutely no excuse to let this issue linger so long. And as proof that Oculus admits the problem is on their end I'm just going to quote my support ticket.

Thank you for your continued patience. I'm happy to provide you with an update here.

We've
identified what we believe to be the primary culprit for this behavior,
and we are currently awaiting verification from our testing teams that
it will resolve this issue for all affected users. Once we have this
verification, we will be ready to release a fix publicly. This may
happen in our next version update, or via a hotfix, depending on how
soon we intend to release our next version update. Again, this will only
happen once we've verified that this will successfully resolve the
issue for all affected issues.

I could look into your replacement options for you, however a replacement will not resolve this issue, as it is software-based.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns here.

Kind regards,

Tyver

AR\VR Support

And yeah that was like 2 updates, 3 PTCs ago, and almost 4 months of
fighting with them to convince them to actually look at the problem.

MysticNinjaSoul
Explorer
The real reason is they do not give a rat's ass about the Rift or Rift-S anymore. They are caring more about the Quest and it is making me want to sell my Rift-S completely