New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Yaw VR Motion Simulators Are Being Shipped To Backers This Month!

2»

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,476 Volunteer Moderator
    It will be like most motion rigs, they will use a program to intercept game data. So it will be the motion rig equivalent of using Vorpx to play flat games in VR: not as good as native support but still works mostly.
    The majority of racing games and flight sims have some level of support via third party motion rig systems, the same should work for the Yaw.

There's still the motion cancelling issue I talk about above. This is even worse now, it seems ASW 2 is resistant to my code that bypasses Timewarp. At least ASW 2 can be manually turned off by Control-Num1 or the debug tool / tray tool, while Timewarp can never be disabled.
    I need to find a solution to that, I've had to disable a couple of features in Oculus Injector due to this. But I also haven't tried for long, too busy with work.

I'm planning on getting a Yaw, but I'm waiting to see a released product first.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player
    Yeah, will be interesting to keep an eye on.  Would be nice for Oculus or Valve to partner with one of these organisations, it's going to be very difficult for them to get enough traction and technical support to succeed.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,644 Valuable Player
    uKER said:
    I don't really get this kind of thing.

Is it intended for end users?
    If so, who pays for a thing like this knowing it will most probably have ZERO software support, like ever?
    Given the infinitely small user base, no one will ever develop for it.
    What's the point?

The only thing I can think of is if you wanted to open your own attraction and planned to have software tailor made for it.

Am I missing something?

You are missing something. It has Sim Tools support meaning that it'll work with just about EVERY VR racing and flight sim - Assetto Corsa, Project CARS 1 and 2, DiRT Rally 1 and 2, Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator, War Thunder, DCS World, IL-2 and Elite Dangerous.

And it has its own SDK too, so if you're a developer you can create your own game to be compatible as well. 😁
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    I just hope it does not have a 125kg weight limit, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    I just hope it does not have a 125kg weight limit, lol!
    210+kg, but 150kg recommended. At least during the kickstarter, I don't know the current stats.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,239 Valuable Player
    For those that like a little more extreme rolling action!

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,820 Volunteer Moderator
    The vid didn't show the fella standing up at the end... I'm thinking he was walking around with it still stuck to his butt.

Looking fowrard to your review Snow.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player
    The vid didn't show the fella standing up at the end... I'm thinking he was walking around with it still stuck to his butt.

Looking fowrard to your review Snow.

You have a very serious point there.  I have yet to see a video of anybody getting up out of the thing.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,239 Valuable Player
    Hiro_Protag0nist said:
    You have a very serious point there.  I have yet to see a video of anybody getting up out of the thing.

I would deduce its not very graceful so they want to keep that image from the masses (like getting out of a sports car) :)

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Another couple of YouTube videos from people that have bought the Yaw VR:

Worth watching that second video just to see Chary's boobs jiggling at the end when she's playing Assetto Corsa lol

:D:love::kissing_heart::heart:

They haven't added Elite Dangerous to their game launching app thingummybob yet which is a bit disappointing.

It's also working with the GTA VR Mod too, hopefully they'll be able to polish it up more because having the thing move every time you start running is going to be a bit of a pain in the arse :D

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,718 Valuable Player
    If its simtools you dont need their presets you can set it yourself.
    That thing doesnt look like it has much support as a chair for sudden movementsZ
    WAAAGH!
    edited May 23
    Morgrum said:
    If its simtools you dont need their presets you can set it yourself.
    That thing doesnt look like it has much support as a chair for sudden movementsZ

Yup, but I'm a lazy bugger so will prefer not to use it lol :D

It also has a seat belt thingy too. Has to satisfy EU safety regulations.

That's looks pretty good for sims, yeah not full 6dof but it seems to be adding a lot to those games.

I can see outside-in tracked headsets demo'd, using one camera (for CV1) and one controller (for Vive and Pimax) fixed to the moving part, to provide tracking cancellation information, do they have a demo of inside-out headsets being used? they say Rift and Quest compatible… I'm curious how they're doing the cancellation for those, I assume they're using platform movement subtracted from camera tracking info. maybe? or IMU info subtracted from tracking?

Probably been discussed or it's on their website but I'm feeling lazy. Do they have demo vids for those headsets?
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
    Technically you don't need extra tracking devices for motion cancellation on the Yaw, since you can query the device for the current yaw/pitch/roll. It's network protocol includes a packet to set the desired YPR and a packet to say it's current YPR.
    Although the fun starts when you mix rotation that simulates force with true rotation. For example accelerating in a car pitches back so it feels like acceleration. But going up a hill also pitches back to simulate the angle of the car. If you accelerate up a hill, you need to pitch back even more, then only cancel out part of that for rendering.

Although the advantage of using a controller for tracking is it works regardless of the rig, and there's a little less calibration at the start (you need to know where the rig's centre of rotation is in the VR play space).

kojack said:
    Technically you don't need extra tracking devices for motion cancellation on the Yaw, since you can query the device for the current yaw/pitch/roll. It's network protocol includes a packet to set the desired YPR and a packet to say it's current YPR.
    Although the fun starts when you mix rotation that simulates force with true rotation. For example accelerating in a car pitches back so it feels like acceleration. But going up a hill also pitches back to simulate the angle of the car. If you accelerate up a hill, you need to pitch back even more, then only cancel out part of that for rendering.

Although the advantage of using a controller for tracking is it works regardless of the rig, and there's a little less calibration at the start (you need to know where the rig's centre of rotation is in the VR play space).

Yeah so that's effectively using the platform movement info to cancel. The sensor mounted vids I've seen are maybe just the early implementations. I think all movement caused by the Yaw would need to be cancelled though as your seat is always your fixed reference in a sim, whether climbing a hill or accelerating, unless I'm getting confused, which is very possible. 

Using the platform info instead of a camera/sensor for cancelling would need to have a good match between where the chair is and where it's supposed to be, including lag, otherwise that lag would show up in the VR world as small amounts of visual movement? wonder if it's sending actual position info gathered from sensors in the Yaw rather than sending the calculated position.

I'd like to see an example of this with the Quest, are they saying it'll work with the Quest in Link mode or in Quest mode too I wonder.
    Another new review on YouTube!

Didn't realise you could feel the pedestrians hitting the car, that's going to be AWESOME lololol :D