Rift S New User - Performance Issues Suddenly Occuring

MadFerrIt
Explorer
Hello,

I'll start off with specs:

Lenovo Y710 Cube
Core i7 6700
16GB DDR-2400 RAM
GTX 1070 Founders (non-OC for now + latest drivers)
Samsung 850 EVO for VR library

So when I say performance issues are suddenly occurring I mean that I was not noticing any frame drops earlier this week when I first received and starting using my Rift S, however since a couple of days ago I'm seeing regular drops in frames in every game in my Oculus library. This includes Beat Saber, Superhot VR, Space Pirate Trainer, Lucky's Tale (all from Oculus, no SteamVR). I have installed Oculus Tray Tool and enabled the overlay for performance and I am seeing extremely low headroom and constant drops from 80fps down to either the low 70's or 40's (AWS I presume?). This is with native settings for every game, I've made no custom profiles and configured no supersampling. All the while these drops are happening my CPU and GPU usage is well below 50% with temperatures around the 40-45C range, so not thermal throttling.

I do realize my system is not top of the line, but I'm above recommended specs and as I said I was not noticing these issues at first. Hoping someone here may have experienced something similar and perhaps found a solution? Or some tips and things to look out for? I have re-formatted Windows and installed fresh drivers just rule out any software or drivers installed I may not have been aware of. 

Appreciate any help, next step will be formally opening a support case.. Just thought I'd give this a go first.
6 REPLIES 6

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I've noticed this as well, toning down the super sampling a little when switching from the CV1 to the S seems to have largely corrected it.

MadFerrIt
Explorer

I've noticed this as well, toning down the super sampling a little when switching from the CV1 to the S seems to have largely corrected it.

I haven't configured any super sampling, this is just stock settings, constant drops.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
No, I have not noticed performance gradually going down but I did need to lower my graphics settings on a few games and sims in order to maintain the same performance as my cv-1.  Like you, I'm not currently using any SS unless it is in the game settings.  Just a rough estimate but because of Rift-S's higher resolution I'd say it's sort of like 1.3 SS with my cv-1.  

Also, I've found it best to disable ASW since my PC can usually easily cope with 80fps but if it very occasionally kicks in it goes down to 40fps and tends to stay there unless I restart the game.  I just use my keyboard to disable ASW; ctrl+num1 (numeric keyboard 1, not top row #1 btw).  

Short of installing OTT I wish there was a way to permanently disable ASW because it causes too many artefacts on many of my sims (double images and wavy horiz lines).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

MadFerrIt
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

No, I have not noticed performance gradually going down but I did need to lower my graphics settings on a few games and sims in order to maintain the same performance as my cv-1.  Like you, I'm not currently using any SS unless it is in the game settings.  Just a rough estimate but because of Rift-S's higher resolution I'd say it's sort of like 1.3 SS with my cv-1.  

Also, I've found it best to disable ASW since my PC can usually easily cope with 80fps but if it very occasionally kicks in it goes down to 40fps and tends to stay there unless I restart the game.  I just use my keyboard to disable ASW; ctrl+num1 (numeric keyboard 1, not top row #1 btw).  

Short of installing OTT I wish there was a way to permanently disable ASW because it causes too many artefacts on many of my sims (double images and wavy horiz lines).

I will see if ASW makes any difference for me, and thanks for your input.

If this truly is the performance I should be expecting I'm actually shocked, even a simple game like Space Pirate Trainer at stock settings I'll be shooting at the spacecraft and I will see them literally jumping / losing entire frames of animation. 

Again I don't have top of the line specs, and I expected to encounter demanding titles that I'd have to likely run a lower resolution / settings.. But to not even be able to play the oldest / most simple games smoothly just doesn't make sense.. I came from the PSVR on a PS4 Pro, and while the tracking is horrible at least the games ran well, some even supersampling on the Pro.

Theninjagecko
Explorer

MadFerrIt said:

TomCgcmfc said:

I will see if ASW makes any difference for me, and thanks for your input.

If this truly is the performance I should be expecting I'm actually shocked, even a simple game like Space Pirate Trainer at stock settings I'll be shooting at the spacecraft and I will see them literally jumping / losing entire frames of animation. 

Again I don't have top of the line specs, and I expected to encounter demanding titles that I'd have to likely run a lower resolution / settings.. But to not even be able to play the oldest / most simple games smoothly just doesn't make sense.. I came from the PSVR on a PS4 Pro, and while the tracking is horrible at least the games ran well, some even supersampling on the Pro.

Did you ever fix this? It's happening to me, my performance graph is tanking for some reason. 

Funny enough its with Space Pirate Trainer I'm noticing the most, via the oculus launcher. The steam version is fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

MadFerrIt I will see if ASW makes any difference for me, and thanks for your input.

If this truly is the performance I should be expecting I'm actually shocked.

No that is definitely not just how the Rift S is supposed to perform. If your CPU or GPU were ever maxing out it'd be one thing but when you still have that much headroom something is causing a problem without your hardware even breaking a sweat. My setup and performance is the same way and the closest I have come to fixing it is to disable ASW but that just minimizes the jittering/drops. Due to a very recent update everything does run great for me in Steam though, just not through Oculus. There is something seriously wrong with how the Rift implements ASW that apparently causes issues even when it is disabled. I would experiment with playing games in Steam if you can and if it works, just purchase your games there.

Please open up a support ticket and submit your logs to them. Until enough people with this problem have open tickets I don't think it will ever be fixed.