New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Bought a used 'Go', came with a bunch of apps

pablo.gener.12pablo.gener.12 Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hi all, I have a question for you.
I just bought a used Oculus GO, that came with a bunch of apps and games that the previous owner bought and had installed. Now, there are a few games and apps I'd like to buy and add to the library, but would have to sync the Oculus to my account, and I'm assuming that would wipe the currently present apps and games.
I don't intend to find an illegitimate or illegal way to keep these previously bought apps, as their licences are not mine. But, if there's a way I could buy, download and install new apps without deleting the currently installed apps, I'd love to know it.
Thanks all for your time and concern.

Cheers,
Pol.

Tagged:

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 7,060 Volunteer Moderator
    Apps can only run if the current logged in account is the one that bought them.
    On the Go and Quest, the only way to change logged in accounts is to do a factory reset, which wipes the headset.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • pablo.gener.12pablo.gener.12 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    kojack said:
    Apps can only run if the current logged in account is the one that bought them.
    On the Go and Quest, the only way to change logged in accounts is to do a factory reset, which wipes the headset.
    OK, kojak, thanks for the info. What about the 'sideloaded' apps I currently find in the 'Unknown sources' apartment of the library? Those would fly out the window too?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,267 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 3
    A factory reset would wipe everything, but side-loaded content is typically free anyway. I would recommend getting yourself set up with SideQuest, and then you can easily side-load anything you see there that looks interesting. (It's mostly Quest content, but they also have a bunch of stuff for Go.)
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,060 Volunteer Moderator
    Yep, factory reset wipes the entire storage. Photos, videos, apps, game progress (if it's stored locally instead of cloud saves) and all user configuration. It will be a "straight out of the box" headset again, requiring all the typical setup process as if you've never used it.

Note: it doesn't hurt your account, it just clears the headset's physical memory. I've factory reset my quest and go many times to swap between my personal account and my work account. Very irritating process, but there's no alternative and when I loan my headset to my students I don't want to give them my personal account.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2