New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PC Software Build 17.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 289 Oculus Staff
edited May 15 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Update 5/15/2020: Hey everyone - thanks again for your patience during this rollout. The team just pushed out an update to those of you who have already received the v17 software update. This new build should resolve the blue screen crashes that some of you have reported. We have also pushed this same update to the PTC channel to those of you who have hit this issue on PTC but have not yet received the live version. Please do continue to let us know if you experience any problems with this new update using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software and by contacting customer support. Thank you!

---

Social Reporting

• We’ve made usability improvements to the in-VR reporting flow
Oculus Link
  • You can now control audio and mic settings for Oculus Link directly from your Quest.
  • During setup, the Oculus desktop app will now let you know if your USB cable meets the standards required to power Link.
  • General stability improvements
Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where some Rift users would join a party and couldn’t be heard by other party members. 

Comments

• Dakiller1009Dakiller1009 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    did they bother to check and make sure certain games work? i could not play pavlov at all on the ptc 17 and had to revert to version 16. I  haven't tried playing it with the non ptc version. But  I don't have high hopes
  • TheXRealTheXReal Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    did they bother to check and make sure certain games work? i could not play pavlov at all on the ptc 17 and had to revert to version 16. I  haven't tried playing it with the non ptc version. But  I don't have high hopes
    At this point i think most people would say don't update and just stay in the version you're in, because knowing Oculus the problem might still be there.
  • Bwall22Bwall22 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 13
    huliqan said:
    I blocked your updates! I stay on v.16
    just add in C:\Program Files\Oculus\
    two empty txt files without .txt (rename and delete it)
    Staging
    tmp
    With this files oculus software can't update automatically !!!
    Does this really work?  I added the tmp file (removed .txt), but windows won't let me add Staging as "there is already a folder with that name" even though its a file I'm adding and not a folder.

• FededaleFededale Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Xplane 11 don't work on V17. I'm rolling back to V16! (thank you Nigsy... ;) )
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,435 Valuable Player
    Fededale said:
    Xplane 11 don't work on V17. I'm rolling back to V16! (thank you Nigsy... ;) )
    Ya, I've pretty well given up using my Rift cv1 with x plane 11 because it's been pretty buggy since Oculus v13.  I'm now just using my Vive Pro for all my flight/racing sims.  All my sims look better with my Vive Pro anyway.

Strange but when I run xp11 with my Quest, wireless with Virtual Desktop it runs fine and shutdown works properly as well.  I think that this is because it launches with SteamVR (like my Vive Pro).  Still, looks much better with my Vive Pro though.

Quest wired with Link (official link cable) has the same issues as my Rift cv1.  So, def an Oculus software related issue imho.  Hopefully Oculus will eventually sort this out.  Whatever changes they made going from v12 to v13 caused this so you would think that they could see what code changes may have caused this.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• KeljuKelju Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    Downloading now. scared s***less.
    As a horror fan. i find it funny that scariest thing in vr, is new oculus update :D
  • AddustAddust Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Now. Add. Wireless. Connection. EVERY SINGLE PORT on my HP pavillion has stopped connecting to my Oculus Quest as USB 3. DESPITE the fact they worked a while ago. At least do software work to make it USB 2 compatible, damnit! Just make it connect, I don't care about the "instabilities" you think will happen. And stop purposefully ignoring us. MAKE. THINGS. WORK, OCULUS!
  • AccelerationVRYTAccelerationVRYT Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Addust said:
    Now. Add. Wireless. Connection. EVERY SINGLE PORT on my HP pavillion has stopped connecting to my Oculus Quest as USB 3. DESPITE the fact they worked a while ago. At least do software work to make it USB 2 compatible, damnit! Just make it connect, I don't care about the "instabilities" you think will happen. And stop purposefully ignoring us. MAKE. THINGS. WORK, OCULUS!
    In the latest update link should work with a 2.0 cable from a recent UploadVR post.
    Hopefully it'll perform well for you
  • XarstealthXarstealth Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 14
    wow...updated to 17...rebooted..now bluescreen of death every time i open oculus app with usb connected,
    same shit was happening in beta and reported to tons of ppl....fixed in beta (didnt try myself but other ppl says was fixed)
    and now...official release makes 500€ device totally worthless...

Good job! continue to work only on quest to betatest it for the new headset

im downloading again app hoping for a mistake it will donwload 16.0 version..at lest after 20 mins installing and configuring it i can use my device for 4h....
  • XarstealthXarstealth Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    update...
    Uninstalled oculus app, downloaded it again 5.15 gb (when i installed first time the 13.0 was 7.8 btw)
    it starts to install app..and in the exact moment it finish...CRASHHHHHH with portcls error...

Better and better...headset was not plugged in, rebooted after crash and...cant access windows because portcls error appear while im writing password!!! GOOOOOOOOOOD JOB GUYS!!!! had to reboot in safe mode, uninstall app and reboot so i can still use my pc! 

i cant even make the oculus report because i cant have app installed now... you are fantastic guys!! 
    now i have to wait what..1 month for another release with no guarantees it will be fixed? 2 months headset totally unusefull 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,577 Volunteer Moderator
    Addust said:
    In the latest update link should work with a 2.0 cable from a recent UploadVR post.
    Hopefully it'll perform well for you
    Damn, that actually works.
    I just played PC Pistol Whip on my Quest using a $4 usb 2 charging cable (3m long) from aliexpress. A couple of sound stutters, but ran fine.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,631 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, I saw the USB2 thing on Reddit this morning... still waiting for new PTC patch notes to see the official announcement of this feature.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Eastcoast78Eastcoast78 Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Anyone try to use there charging cable as a link cable now? Seen on a discord someone stating his pc is on 17 but his quest is still on 16 and his charging
     cable cable(the one supplied with the quest) is working as a link...kinda odd as im on pc 17 and 16 for the quest..dont work for me...also that would be kinda stupid for them to do that. no one would buy their 120 buck cable...lol..and i dont see any release notes...
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,631 Volunteer Moderator
    I've read that the charging cable will work, but that the quality will be lower than using USB3 with an official Link cable. This feature will help people with a lower-end setup or lower quality cable, but USB3 and a high quality cable will still provide the best experience.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • jseamsjseams Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    Anyone try to use there charging cable as a link cable now? Seen on a discord someone stating his pc is on 17 but his quest is still on 16 and his charging
     cable cable(the one supplied with the quest) is working as a link...kinda odd as im on pc 17 and 16 for the quest..dont work for me...also that would be kinda stupid for them to do that. no one would buy their 120 buck cable...lol..and i dont see any release notes...
    It's $79 direct from Oculus unless you buy one from some gouger on Amazon.  It's also fiber and 16' which allows you to actually have a play area that isn't right in front of your computer sitting down. It also works consistently - something the cheap aftermarket solutions don't do, especially anything longer than 10'. It's also been mentioned that they are (or were at least) working on a mode that allows full use of 3.1 bandwidth. I would still think the official cable is a decent purchase. I have one now and it works so much better than the 10' cheap aftermarket version I have does.
  • rmednitzerrmednitzer Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I updated the app and got a portcls.sys error (Windows 10).
    Even a clean install fails at the driver install and crashes with a portcls.sys error. (Yes, even in safe mode + networking)

Deactivating the "Oculus Virtual Audio Device" in the device manager fixes the portcls problem.
    If the installer even gets that far...

Please fix the "Oculus Virtual Audio Device" driver, or give us at least the option to skip the install for Rift and Rift S users.

My Rift S worked just fine before the update and now I can't even use it!
    nalex66 said:
    I've read that the charging cable will work, but that the quality will be lower than using USB3 with an official Link cable. This feature will help people with a lower-end setup or lower quality cable, but USB3 and a high quality cable will still provide the best experience.
    Also, I doubt that a usb 2.0 Link cable will supply enough power to maintain your Quest battery charge level.  Most usb 2.0 only supply 500ma.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 400
    Trinity
    "Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where some Rift users would join a party and couldn’t be heard by other party members."

...for those who decide to join Facebook to Oculus. :wink: For the rest: no apparent improvements and/or fixes for Rifts. 
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
  • J_ShepzJ_Shepz Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks for clarifying, ShowbizDonkey.
    I tried out the cable that comes with Quest on my PC (it has a USB-C 3.1 port) and it worked well, it looks a tiny bit fuzzier compared to a cheap 3m USB-A to USB-C 3.1 cable that I have but much prefer the angled connector on the included cable so going to swap to using it from now on when I'm not using Virtual Desktop
  • CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    Awesome, great to know that there's attention being placed here which is just as important as the other methods of feedback. Now since you answered that and we know you can relay information back to the dev team when "applicable", relay this information to them from the Oculus consumers, the ones buying the product, supporting it and using it day in and day out. Why is it impossible for us the users to downgrade our software to whatever version we desire if we feel that particular one (v1.43!!) is the one that works the best? clearly there is no disadvantage whatsoever for one user being on v1.43 and playing a game with someone on the latest and frankly not the greatest version.

Another HUGE thing to note in your response is the extreme lack of any rift/rift s talk, considering how many users in this very thread as well as the V17 PTC have been saying over and over how it gives them BSoD, crashes, etc etc. You chatted with the team about USB2.0 and so on, stuff for the quest as per-usual for the past few months. Did you chat with them about the Rift and Rift S? I'm assuming you did right? So what did they tell you about those 2 others HMDs? Is the Rift S getting stability improvements? Is it getting new features like the Quest is every month? Why can't we downgrade? So many questions left unanswered, many that many others and I have expressed about in the user feedback tool for months and to what? More Oculus Quest and Social features on a PC software release meant primarily for Rift and Rift S users. 

I'd love and be surprised if you could answer these questions, but my hopes aren't too high.
    TomCgcmfc said:
    nalex66 said:
    Also, I doubt that a usb 2.0 Link cable will supply enough power to maintain your Quest battery charge level.  Most usb 2.0 only supply 500ma.
    I used a 3A charging cable. :)
    My Quest was at 0% (battery warning icon only), but I was able to turn it on and charge while playing Pistol Whip.

edited May 14
    kojack said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    nalex66 said:
    I used a 3A charging cable. :)
    My Quest was at 0% (battery warning icon only), but I was able to turn it on and charge while playing Pistol Whip.

So that was using the usb 2.0 charge cable (which I guess is 3 amp rated because that's what the supplied charger puts out) that came with your quest, using it as a link cable, and connected to a usb 2.0 port?  Many alternative usb 3.0 link cables were not able to charge at the same time.

Btw, pretty hard on batteries to let them get down to 0%, let alone charging/using at that point.  I aim to charge mine up before they get lower than 20-25% and do not try to use them again with an external power source until they are at least recharged to 75-80%.  Otherwise you are going to heat those poor little guy up a lot and lessen their life imho.  I've been in the Lipo/Li-ion game for +20 years and I've learnt how to take care of them, usually found out the hard/expensive way, lol!

edited May 15
    TomCgcmfc said:
    So that was using the usb 2.0 charge cable (which I guess is 3 amp rated because that's what the supplied charger puts out) that came with your quest, using it as a link cable, and connected to a usb 2.0 port?  Many alternative usb 3.0 link cables were not able to charge at the same time.
    As I said above, it was a 3m charging cable from Aliexpress for $4au (advertised as 3A). (I bought a 5 pack for $20au)
    TOPK brand fabric wrapped. I have a bunch of their cables for micro usb and usb-c.
    It was in a USB 3 port, but the cable is only usb 2 (and the rift software had an orange warning saying I should use usb 3 instead)

Normally I don't let it flatten, but it had drained itself since I used it the day before, I think the vr cover had slipped down again and tripped the face sensor.
    Plus obviously as a typical modern device, 0% in the Quest is not 0% on the actual battery, that's the safety limit of typically around 3V per cell remaining that stops it from running.