cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you play pirated games on Oculus rift s

kotemote
Honored Guest
Hey, I was wondering if I can play pirated games on Oculus rift like half life alyx.
40 REPLIES 40

lensmandave
Superstar
I understand that it works fine for the first 10 minutes, then The Rift s self destructs . But try it anyway 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

MikeF
Trustee
lol, ban this idiot

Digikid1
Consultant
Well it was nice knowing you....

@Techy111 do your magic.

ItzFlipz
Explorer
Probably, but you really shouldn't.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Discussion of piracy is allowed, but posting or linking pirated content is not.

For the sake of discussion; Alyx is a SteamVR game. Oculus software isn't going to do any sort of entitlement check for third-party software that doesn't go through the Oculus store. The game does require SteamVR in order to function, so I'm not sure how a pirated version would bypass that.

Beyond the technical questions, you're opening your PC up to a world of potential problems by trying to install and run pirated games--you really don't know what you're getting or what malware has been hidden within it. You'd be better off buying the game legitimately than trying to save a few bucks and exposing yourself to the risks involved to your PC, your data, and your gaming accounts.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apart from the ethical issues, this is still a burgeoning industry. Devs could write pancake games with a giant potential audience or write for a small VR audience. I know each person has their own financial situation to consider, but if people pirate VR games, the developers will be less likely to develop for the platform. While there are a few mega-companies making VR games, many games are made by small teams and even single devs. I prefer to support the devs and try to be understanding when a game is 3-4 hours for the same price as a 30 hour pancake game. Pirating will only keep the cost higher for legitimate purchasers like me.

/soapbox

Anonymous
Not applicable
What a stupid idiotic question.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Imagine the fun developers could have with copy protection in VR. Like how in Serious Sam 3 if it detects the game is pirated it spawns an immortal pink scorpion that attacks you continuously. Or in Operation Flashpoint it made bullets come out of your gun at a random angle and satchel charges had like a massively enlarged blast radius.

In VR you could fill the game with jump scares, do bad IPD, apply a head rotation offset (so the game is tilted 30 degrees to the side), break all the comfort rules to make people feel sick.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

wuzp
Rising Star
kojack said:
Imagine the fun developers could have with copy protection in VR. Like how in Serious Sam 3 if it detects the game is pirated it spawns an immortal pink scorpion that attacks you continuously. Or in Operation Flashpoint it made bullets come out of your gun at a random angle and satchel charges had like a massively enlarged blast radius.

In VR you could fill the game with jump scares, do bad IPD, apply a head rotation offset (so the game is tilted 30 degrees to the side), break all the comfort rules to make people feel sick.
Or you get transported to a VR courtroom, followed by banishment to a VR prison for however long your banishment is!  And this will have a social aspect to it; as there will be a VR shower, LOL.