cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Oculus App on Drive OTHER THAN C: Drive

trkent26
Explorer
Hi,

I have spent the past several hours attempting to run the initial Oculus Setup, but every time I get past the Terms and Conditions I get a screen saying that I cannot connect to the Oculus Servers (which I know is false--my Internet is working fine). After scrolling through several other forums and posts, I think if I am able to install the App onto any drive besides my C: drive (I have three drives -- C:, D:, and F:), my problems will be solved. BUT, I cannot figure out how to start the installation on my F: drive. I have tried to follow the steps on this page: 

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1676275305961321/

numerous times. Whenever I enter "OculusSetup /drive:F" into Run, Windows replies something similar to:

"Windows cannot find 'OculusSetup'. Please check your spelling and try again."

If anyone has suggestions for installing on separate drives, any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
104 REPLIES 104

MrZippy1337
Honored Guest
For anyone who may come across this and have issues even after trying everything described above, here's what I did.
1. Opened the command prompt as an admin.
2. Typed C:\>cd\Users\[USERNAME]\Downloads (this navigates you directly to your downloads folder)
3. Typed C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Downloads>oculussetup.exe /drive=[DRIVE LETTER]
I don't know if it will help anyone but directing myself to the downloads folder before I ran it helped me.

YoloGladiator
Honored Guest

Im doing what the forums are as instructed such as using the command prompt and typing in what im supposed to type for oculus rift s but all it pulls up is the software and still shows the same location (C:\Program Files\Oculus\) if somebody can please help me and walk me through this i would greatly appreciate it. (Im trying to move it to my second "drive=D" on one of my files but no luck. 

Nvm i fixed it

virtari
Honored Guest
Ok so my problem was /drive:G (wrong), and it worked when i switched to /drive=G

mister_ot
Honored Guest

golftyler said:

Whenever you type in "[Drive]\Download\OculusSetup.exe /drive[=Whateverdriveyou'reusing] MAKE SURE you have a space betweeen the "OculusSetup.exe" and the "/drive" or it will not recognize the command. That's been my issue for a bit. Hope I've helped! 

GUYS THIS IS SO IMPORTANT, MY WHOLE ISSUE WAS SOLVED WITH THIS ! SINCE I AM A COMPLETE NOOB. THANK YOU SO MUCH 😄

AxisPCNI
Honored Guest
Ok looks like I have a different issue, mine is complaining that I can't install it at the location even though it is a local drive:

Run -> F:\OculusSetup.exe /drive=F 

Gives me the following (In swedish and roughly translated):
The selected drive cannot be chosen. It does not fulfill the requirements: Oculus needs 19.1 GB on a internal NTFS-device. Choose another or visit support.

Now the weird thing is that it is internal and it is most definitely a NTFS formatted HDD. It is running in RAID so I'm guessing that its spooking the installation. 

This seems certainly odd as I have installed countless of software on that HDD, it has everything from Blender to an Adobe suit; no complaints so far.
I cannot accept a "just install it on C" as that is simply not an option. This kind of installation behaviour is just a UX red flag and not just a single one but alot of them. How and why would you restrict a user to change the installation directory? 

Need help from staff!

Remedy_Rex
Honored Guest
The oculus setup Is on my D drive, but The actual Download goes to The C drive. How Do you change that?

3Head
Honored Guest

SOLVED! So this thread is the top result when googling how to install the Oculus app on a non-C drive. I thought I should add my solution here for future googlers.

Using the Run app as instructed by Oculus didn't work for me, so I opened a cmd prompt with Administer privileges and simply entered:
C:\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=F

With "C:\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe" being the full path to the installer and "F" being the drive of choice for installing the software.

Thank you!

thefatty
Honored Guest
Hi All, just wanted to add my 5p to this which may help someone. You can simplify the process by (1) creating a shortcut to the installer, (2) right click the shortcut and go to properties, then add to the target path that is already there the /drive=x argument. Then just use the shorcut as a normal app.

As an example, to install to drive Z, i would add ' /drive=z' to the end of the target path, i.e  C:\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=z 

hope this helps someone.

CMGMKA
Honored Guest
Hi all. I just tried installing Oculus app on D following the method recommended here and by Oculus. It did install 5.15GB worth of files on the desired location but there is no Oculus app to be found. So now I have no app and a bunch of files that I cannot cleanly uninstall from my drive because the program does not show in the Programs and Features part of the control panel. What a shame. Anybody with the same issue that maybe was able to solve it?

fjshface
Honored Guest
My first problem with this was that using equals (=)  "/drive = D" didn't work, so I ran "C: \Users\ry3nd\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive:D" in the command prompt, it worked by launching Oculus Setup but my second problem was that it still has the default Download location on my C drive. I don't know why it is not working.