New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Half-Life: Alyx Adds Nearly 1 Million VR Users to Steam in Record Gain

124»

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,239 Valuable Player
    edited May 15
    snowdog said:
    A CounterStrike style game wouldn't be possible with Alyx's IQ. Alyx has been designed around more enclosed spaces due to the performance benefits that it gives developers (and is one major reason why my game is a corridor shooter). CounterStrike levels have always been pretty open levels and this won't be possible unless Valve turn the IQ down quite a bit.

It's also why Asgard's Wrath, from a developer's viewpoint, is A LOT more impressive than Alyx.

Thanks for that @snowdog - I understand what you are saying about the standard game, but the mods that have been appearing in the forums seem to have found ways to create interesting approximations and these are first roughs. The area near the zoo shoot-out was used in one demo that seemed perfect for PvP (but again your right not the length of a average CS level such as Market). I will go back to the dev forum and see if they have any videos that are public share.

Edit: Great, found an early run down of some interesting early efforts:

I am interested in your comment about Asgard's Wrath - I thought you would have said BoneWorks. What was the most impressive element of AW for you?
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,644 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:
    A CounterStrike style game wouldn't be possible with Alyx's IQ. Alyx has been designed around more enclosed spaces due to the performance benefits that it gives developers (and is one major reason why my game is a corridor shooter). CounterStrike levels have always been pretty open levels and this won't be possible unless Valve turn the IQ down quite a bit.

It's also why Asgard's Wrath, from a developer's viewpoint, is A LOT more impressive than Alyx.

Thanks for that @snowdog - I understand what you are saying about the standard game, but the mods that have been appearing in the forums seem to have found ways to create interesting approximations and these are first roughs. The area near the zoo shoot-out was used in one demo that seemed perfect for PvP (but again your right not the length of a average CS level such as Market). I will go back to the dev forum and see if they have any videos that are public share.

Edit: Great, found an early run down of some interesting early efforts:

I am interested in your comment about Asgard's Wrath - I thought you would have said BoneWorks. What was the most impressive element of AW for you?

The IQ given how open the levels had to be to accomodate the god size mechanic.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    The IQ given how open the levels had to be to accomodate the god size mechanic.

All challenges to look forward to seeing how the community overcome once Source 2 dev is released. I think nothing is unsurmountable, and as from Half Life we would end up with Counter Strike, mainly supported by the modding community, expectations are high. 
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,459 Valuable Player
    The only evidence that Valve would release CS in VR is an April Fools' joke:

“We’re moving CS:GO over to the Source 2 engine – the same engine Half-Life: Alyx uses.” explained Valve developer Robin Walker. “This basically means VR is super easy to implement. It’s practically already done. We expect to be releasing the CS:GO VR mode in about eight or nine years.”

If Valve ever does release CS in VR, hopefully it will turn out to be more than just a short demo.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,644 Valuable Player
    Eight or nine years lololol :D:D:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited May 15
    Talk about perfect timing!

Valve Releases ‘Half-Life: Alyx’ Steam Workshop Tools for Making & Downloading Mods

https://www.roadtovr.com/half-life-alyx-modding-tools-downloads-steam-workshop/

:D   :D   :)

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    Very cool. $50 says that the first Mod is a recreation of the main campaign with improvements. Any takers?
    :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,664 Valuable Player
    Yeah I got around a 2GB update to Alyx this afternoon.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited May 15
    I actually thought that these tools were already released, since I kept seeing news about Mods that were already available. But I guess those were not native.

I would love to see a Star Wars Mod!
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    deleted

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• McNuttsMcNutts Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Half Life: Alyx is the reason I finally jumped into VR outside of the PSVR I got for X-mas the year it came out. I bought an Oculus Quest for hanging out with family & on the go and a Rift S for most of my at home VR use.

I have loved every Half Life game that has been released by Valve. I'm 39 so that includes Half Life 1 with all of the expansions all the way to Episode 2. I knew I would enjoy Half Life: Alyx and I was correct. The moment I looked up at one of the ceiling creatures I was amazed and new gaming would never be the same for me.

I had just bought a PC with a Ryzen 7 [email protected], 32GB DDR4 3600, and an EVGA 2080 Super XC Ultra. I was loving it and then I put on my Rift S to play Half Life: Alex and everything changed. I still enjoy flat gaming but it's just not the same anymore. I find myself thinking that it would be so much better if I could play it with a VR headset if not just for having 3D enabled. 

I'm looking forward to the day when i have a VR headset that has the resolution to match, or exceed, the resolution of my 32" 1440p monitor from 1-2 feet away. When that day comes I will gladly put my monitor in the closet.

Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x @ 4.5GHz all cores | Noctua NH-D15S with 2 Fans | GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA |  32GB [email protected] | EVGA 2080 Super XC Ultra | OS(Win 10 Pro) - 250GB NVMe WD Black | Games - 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda | Case - NZXT H510i | PSU - CORSAIR RMx Series 850W Gold |
    Plex Server: [email protected] | 16GB | 250GB SSD | 2x4TB WD Black HDs | EVGA 980 ti
    VR Headsets: Rift S | 128GB Quest | 64GB Go | PSVR | Valve Index after 8-100 weeks
    I really think the VR community has not fully comprehended what the HL:A Mod opportunities for the future of VR really could mean . A little history lesson on how the original HL modding community totally changed the face of gaming, and ushered in much of the LAN gaming, eSports scene (along with another Valve game DOTA). If just half of this could be achieved in the PC VR scene then we could be at the 10-year cycle of a VERY interesting time for immersive gaming.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 808
    3Jane
    edited May 17
    ^^I wonder how strict Valve with be if anyone makes a mod that ports HL1+2 work with the HL:A engine, or at least makes the VR aspect of the HL:A engine work in the two two previous HL games.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,523 Volunteer Moderator
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^I wonder how strict Valve with be if anyone makes a mod that ports HL1+2 work with the HL:A engine, or at least makes the VR aspect of the HL:A engine work in the two two previous HL games.
    They had no problem with the Black Mesa team remaking HL1, and even allowed them to sell it on Steam, so I imagine they’d be cool, as long as people aren’t improperly distributing content. I'm not sure what assets are included with the new mod tools, but if you look at stuff like Gary’s Mod, they were pretty free with game assets for the previous Source engine tools. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 808
    3Jane
    ^^^Oh i would lap up HL/HL2 with a VR mod.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^^Oh i would lap up HL/HL2 with a VR mod.
    Me too!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    edited May 17
    I really think the VR community has not fully comprehended what the HL:A Mod opportunities for the future of VR really could mean .

From my perspective, the VR community has not fully comprehended that: VR != Gaming.

VR is not limited to gaming, it has applicability in many sectors; and those additional sectors have 100's of millions of untapped users. Right now, VR is still measured in the "low millions," not even the 10's of millions. Heck, this thread's title suggests "nearly a million" which is quite tiny.

Other sectors that the VR Community should consider when talking about the Future of VR:
    • Medical - Doctors using VR to see inside the human body
    • Education - nearly infinite possibility
    • Enterprise - Virtual Workspaces, Data Analytics, etc
    • Military - integration with drones, satellites, etc

eSports scene (along with another Valve game DOTA).
    VR eSports is already being accomplished, and Beat Saber is an actual officially sanctioned VR eSports game.

Everyone understands that Alyx is a great VR video game and while it may set a new bar for how other video games can "demonstrate VR," there are many more innovations to VR coming in the future that will have little to no relevance to Alyx nor video games.
  • McNuttsMcNutts Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 17
    Zenbane said:
    I really think the VR community has not fully comprehended what the HL:A Mod opportunities for the future of VR really could mean .

From my perspective, the VR community has not fully comprehended that: VR != Gaming.

VR is not limited to gaming, it has applicability in many sectors; and those additional sectors have 100's of millions of untapped users. Right now, VR is still measured in the "low millions," not even the 10's of millions. Heck, this thread's title suggests "nearly a million" which is quite tiny.

Other sectors that the VR Community should consider when talking about the Future of VR:
    • Medical - Doctors using VR to see inside the human body
    • Education - nearly infinite possibility
    • Enterprise - Virtual Workspaces, Data Analytics, etc
    • Military - integration with drones, satellites, etc

eSports scene (along with another Valve game DOTA).
    VR eSports is already being accomplished, and Beat Saber is an actual officially sanctioned VR eSports game.

Everyone understands that Alyx is a great VR video game and while it may set a new bar for how other video games can "demonstrate VR," there are many more innovations to VR coming in the future that will have little to no relevance to Alyx nor video games.
    I think most people understand that VR isn't just for gaming they just don't care about non-gaming VR use. It's just that this community is mainly focus on gaming only. That's why I bough a Quest and a Rift S and I'm willing to bet most of the people on these forums did too.
    Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x @ 4.5GHz all cores | Noctua NH-D15S with 2 Fans | GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA |  32GB [email protected] | EVGA 2080 Super XC Ultra | OS(Win 10 Pro) - 250GB NVMe WD Black | Games - 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda | Case - NZXT H510i | PSU - CORSAIR RMx Series 850W Gold |
    Plex Server: [email protected] | 16GB | 250GB SSD | 2x4TB WD Black HDs | EVGA 980 ti
    VR Headsets: Rift S | 128GB Quest | 64GB Go | PSVR | Valve Index after 8-100 weeks
    edited May 17
    McNutts said:
    I think most people understand that VR isn't just for gaming
    The perception seems to indicate otherwise considering the number of VR users who equate the success of a game with the success of the VR Industry as a whole.

It's just that this community is mainly focus on gaming only.

True, but the comments do not specify gaming as a sub-genre of VR, and instead portray VR as a whole as being purely a gaming platform. Hence my comments about VR being multi-sector.

For example, the day that the Real-Estate industry adopts VR as its primary platform will be the day that one industry single-handedly did more for mass VR adoption than all the VR games released to-date, combined.

That's why I bough a Quest and a Rift S and I'm willing to bet most of the people on these forums did too.

Facebook is targeting Social Media and Virtual Workspaces in the near future, as they've shown at both the Oculus and Facebook tech conferences over the last few years. So regardless of what people may think about their own personal usage for a VR Product, the Industry itself is moving in more than just one single direction.

I bought my Rift and started learning to develop in VR using WebVR and Unreal Engine so that I can dabble in a few industries myself. Not everyone is buying these headsets strictly for video games.