cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you play pirated games on Oculus rift s

kotemote
Honored Guest
Hey, I was wondering if I can play pirated games on Oculus rift like half life alyx.
40 REPLIES 40

YoLolo69 said:

Ok, back on topic guys! : It was really painful at that time to have a decent copy of a game using 2 audio tape recorder... 😉

I seem to remember very basic cheap recorders, without noise reduction did the best job (I never did anything like that).
On the Spectrum tapes you could record over the loading screen segment with one you made yourself with custom graphics and text (I never did that either 😐 ).

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

Imagine the fun developers could have with copy protection in VR. Like how in Serious Sam 3 if it detects the game is pirated it spawns an immortal pink scorpion that attacks you continuously. Or in Operation Flashpoint it made bullets come out of your gun at a random angle and satchel charges had like a massively enlarged blast radius.

In VR you could fill the game with jump scares, do bad IPD, apply a head rotation offset (so the game is tilted 30 degrees to the side), break all the comfort rules to make people feel sick.

Nice idea, but the problem is when innocent people get caught in the crossfire - has happened to me with expensive products I've legally purchased yet somehow ended up on a black list with my activation number and been unable to use my expensive software again (and devs who just aren't interested in helping - here's looking at you, PMDG).

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

wuzp
Rising Star

JD-UK said:

kojack said:

Imagine the fun developers could have with copy protection in VR. Like how in Serious Sam 3 if it detects the game is pirated it spawns an immortal pink scorpion that attacks you continuously. Or in Operation Flashpoint it made bullets come out of your gun at a random angle and satchel charges had like a massively enlarged blast radius.

In VR you could fill the game with jump scares, do bad IPD, apply a head rotation offset (so the game is tilted 30 degrees to the side), break all the comfort rules to make people feel sick.

Nice idea, but the problem is when innocent people get caught in the crossfire - has happened to me with expensive products I've legally purchased yet somehow ended up on a black list with my activation number and been unable to use my expensive software again (and devs who just aren't interested in helping - here's looking at you, PMDG).

It's easier to swat somebody onto the no-fly list; than it is for them to get off   >:)

Didn't Codemasters do something similar with one of their Dirt games? their protection allowed for a pirated game to be played but it became increasingly unstable so this version became common on pirate sites because it seemed to work... but it was only after playing for a few hours that things gradually started to bug. They just had to make sure their legit version is bug-free.

I like the idea of the Japan dating sim (where else) where the pirated game is playable but the girl just never likes the player. Must be depressing if computerised girls don't even like you.

wuzp
Rising Star

Must be depressing if computerised girls don't even like you.

Occasionally, I'll try hitting up on Cortana, Siri and Alexa; just for their reactions   o:)

kojack
MVP
MVP

JD-UK said:

Nice idea, but the problem is when innocent people get caught in the crossfire

Very true. I generally believe it's not worth the effort to fight pirates, instead find ways to win people over.

There was a compression program for the Amiga that was pretty cool, but the developer said he had added a copy protection system that would start deleting random files on your hard drive if it detected it was a pirated version. Yeah, no thanks. I don't trust any solo developer to make a dangerous system like that flawless enough that there could never be false positives.

One of the Spiro The Dragon games removed a single gem on level 3 for the pirated version, making it impossible to finish. Most pirate groups didn't play the game far enough to spot that.

I've often told my students (jokingly, but slightly serious too) that you can't stop pirates. So why not do the one thing left: deny them the credit. Pirate groups rush to be the first to release a cracked game. Release a crack of your own game under a fake group name first! If anybody is going to get credit, it might as well be the creators. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

Let's make it even more difficulut,  bring back the hardware piracy dongle, make one that is integrated into the headband of the HMD and is basically a beartrap around your head, Saw movie style wise, and you have to place the HMD on your head and run a legit version of the game for it to pass the dongle piracy protection.......but if you are running a pirated version SNAP! CRUNCH!.........instant decapitation, and as a bonus it's also 100% guaranteed to stop all piracy because once a pirate has been caught by it they won't pitare again....sure fire success, go fund me here we come.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

furegato
Explorer
Right when I bought my headset I managed to play "generic" version of quite a few games that I thought was overpriced, but then I waited for some nice discounts and bought them all. Some generic version just didn't work at all.
Now I just buy originals on discount. They get discounted very often! I just add them to my wish-list and check every week for good discounts on the Steam Store and buy them when it gets to a good price. I also use steamdb.info to check if the discount is real or just a click bait.
Most VR games are single player, so there is no real rush to play with friends at launch anyway...

kojack
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:
Let's make it even more difficulut,  bring back the hardware piracy dongle,

Those (well, not the beartrap version) are still around. My college has a large audio production department, some high end audio software still require USB dongles to run. Students have to sign one out from the tech department to use the software.

X-Plane still has a USB dongle for commercial use (costs $820 for the dongle). Version 10 also needed a dongle if you didn't want to play with the dvd in the drive.

Back on the amiga I had some program (what the hell was it? Can't remember) that needed a joystick port dongle. I tested with a multimeter, it just closed the up and down joystick lines (which you could never have using a real joystick). I made a clone of it using just a db9 plug and some solder, didn't even need wire. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^On the Amiga and Atari ST it could have been either B.A.T, or Robocop 3, both came with a hardware dongle that had to be in joyport 2 if i remember correctly, and if you lost the dongle you were out of luck, fantastic way to have drm, i remember B.A.T also came with a enhanced sound cart that plugged into the back of the ST....wish i had kept them all instead of being a complete pillock and ditching everything each time i moved onto the next new thing, but i learned my lesson, still have my Philips CD-I, can't wait until that becomes popular again. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.