New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PC Software Build 17.0 Release Notes

Comments

• valentin.sourice.9valentin.sourice.9 Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    @ShowbizDonkey
    Blue screen of death irql_not_less_or_equal (portcls.sys failed) now fixed in oculus software : 17.0.0.183.462
    with oculus quest headset version :
    - system version : 6023800249000000
    - version : 16.0.0.138.450.210938897
    - runtime version : 16.0.0.139.450.210946745
    Thanks (a lot)

(For some reason, headset does not display any update available in about section (Universal menu), will report in appropriate place)
  • bitziebitzie Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    OakWoodz said:
    The Quest needs updates aswell. it isn't always about the PC playerbase.

Thank you so much for this! With everything going on right now, I really needed to see something like this. Of course, now I have to do a load of laundry because I peed my pants laughing so ridiculously hard.
  • KeljuKelju Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    edited May 17
    Kelju said:
    Downloading now. scared s***less.
    As a horror fan. i find it funny that scariest thing in vr, is new oculus update :D

So my fears came true. Really Oculus, really....?
    The hmd is connected to oculus recommended inatek usb card, by it self. sensors are in mb usb3 ports. all have worked well till now.
    it worked with the initial v17 update, now this new "hot fix" broke it.
    current version is:
    Oculus App Version 17.0.0.183.462 (17.0.0.183.462)

How the hell you can keep doing this.

and yes i have tried unpluging and repluging the hmd.

• TheXRealTheXReal Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Kelju said:
    Kelju said:
    Downloading now. scared s***less.
    As a horror fan. i find it funny that scariest thing in vr, is new oculus update :D

So my fears came true. Really Oculus, really....?
    The hmd is connected to oculus recommended inatek usb card, by it self. sensors are in mb usb3 ports. all have worked well till now.
    it worked with the initial v17 update, now this new "hot fix" broke it.
    current version is:
    Oculus App Version 17.0.0.183.462 (17.0.0.183.462)

How the hell you can keep doing this.

and yes i have tried unpluging and repluging the hmd.

When i used a USB card i only used it for the sensors not the HMD.
    don't know if trying to switch it around helps but i would say try.

and yeah i got forced into this update and i have the Usb problem too and i have bad tracking here and there again.
    so Oculus 10/10 last time </3
  • dhrtodhrto Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Richooal said:

Same here.
    Almost 3 years with the same hardware, same Rift CV1, same sensors and Touch Controllers. Now all of a sudden my USB ports aren't good enough.
    For me it's 4 years working with no noticeable problems with an Inateck (the recommended one) card. I haven't turned on my Oculus PC yet since Saturday and now I'm very hesitant to do so after reading these messages... 

I do know one thing for sure. If this is not resolved quickly then it will be bye bye Oculus, hello Index... (or maybe Pimax).

• CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    dhrto said:
    Richooal said:

Same here.
    Almost 3 years with the same hardware, same Rift CV1, same sensors and Touch Controllers. Now all of a sudden my USB ports aren't good enough.
    For me it's 4 years working with no noticeable problems with an Inateck (the recommended one) card. I haven't turned on my Oculus PC yet since Saturday and now I'm very hesitant to do so after reading these messages... 

I do know one thing for sure. If this is not resolved quickly then it will be bye bye Oculus, hello Index... (or maybe Pimax).

Honestly considering moving to another HMD who actually gives a damn to be honest, these people only care about the Quest, absolutely no love whatsoever for the Rift and Rift S. If you don't want to get forced to update, I suggest to turn on the PC without any internet connection, stop the oculus service via the tray tool, or task manager and block access to and from oculus with the host file, that's what I did to stay in v16.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,132
    Wintermute
    It is an USB 3 port for years, and re plugging several times fix your *#*#[email protected]  message. My CV1 is always connected usually. Now I will break my USB and HDMI port unplugging re-plugging them all the times.

Don't be fooled by my vulcan stoical face, I'm really angry by this new update and by you Oculus Devs, period.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• jseamsjseams Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Isn't V17 still PTC? Unchecking the Beta opt-in reverts back to V16 - at least it does for me.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    jseams said:
    Isn't V17 still PTC? Unchecking the Beta opt-in reverts back to V16 - at least it does for me.
    No, it is on the release channel now. If yours rolled back to 16 it will likely update shortly to 17.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • jseamsjseams Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    dburne said:
    jseams said:
    No, it is on the release channel now. If yours rolled back to 16 it will likely update shortly to 17.
    Thanks, I probably shouldn't be surprised. I think I was the very last person to get 16 pushed to my Quest. lol
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 285 Oculus Staff
    Hey folks - I'm asking the team about the USB 3 warning message that some of you are seeing on Rift / Rift S. In the meantime, could those of you who are newly and unexpectedly seeing the warning (i.e. you've confirmed that your headset is actually plugged into a USB 3 port rather than a USB 2 port) please use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the desktop software to submit a bug report. Please be sure to tick the box allowing your system information to be submitted along with the report. This is hugely helpful for our investigation - thank you!
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 18
    Hey folks - I'm asking the team about the USB 3 warning message that some of you are seeing on Rift / Rift S. In the meantime, could those of you who are newly and unexpectedly seeing the warning (i.e. you've confirmed that your headset is actually plugged into a USB 3 port rather than a USB 2 port) please use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the desktop software to submit a bug report. Please be sure to tick the box allowing your system information to be submitted along with the report. This is hugely helpful for our investigation - thank you!
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm 100% certain the have completely abandoned the Rift and Rift S, not only that, but ever since v12 they have added issues onto both HMDs when they worked fine beforehand and they haven't addressed any of them whatsoever, nor have they fixed the issues with their garbage software. 
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 272
    Nexus 6
    Well, like I said once before a while back....since v12...what oculus seems to be doing with updates (being shitty) this is the new norm unfortunately for us cv1 users (and everything else). Definitely makes me want to look to another gen 2 HMD (when it comes)... To me, it's going to take a lot for oculus to redeem themselves...5 new number version updates and still the same shit!!!

Hopefully someone else with gen 2 HMD will have better success at updating...not expecting much though now-a-days!!!
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1909
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    edited May 18
    Well, like I said once before a while back....since v12...what oculus seems to be doing with updates (being shitty) this is the new norm unfortunately for us cv1 users (and everything else). Definitely makes me want to look to another gen 2 HMD (when it comes)... To me, it's going to take a lot for oculus to redeem themselves...5 new number version updates and still the same shit!!!

Hopefully someone else with gen 2 HMD will have better success at updating...not expecting much though now-a-days!!!
    Yeah I am enjoying my Rift S and really have been lucky as I am not having issues with these latest versions of software.
    However for my next headset, when a new Gen so to speak comes out, it will likely not be by Oculus. Unless they really surprise me.
    If I was not so spoiled on the inside/out tracking now ( which Oculus does quite well), I would grab an Index. I will just wait and see what comes down the pike. Likely this virus crap is going to delay a lot of stuff I expect.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Doc_62Doc_62 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    This is BS. 4 days now my CV1 has been a brick. Just a black screen. In that time, the only thing I have got since opening a ticket is unplug the headset
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,667 Valuable Player
    edited May 18
    FWIW I've submitted feedback regarding Oculus' incorrect identification of my USB 3 port.

Also I'd like to note that I haven't had a BSOD since May 14, 17:28 AEST, which means that they could have actually fixed the problem. (signature edited for this)

I'm still getting hundreds of the "OculusVadApoEventTrace" errors though...................

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• jeremy.deatsjeremy.deats Posts: 32 Oculus Start Member
    edited May 18
    So my Oculus Home software updated, but having not powered on my Quest in about a week I don't have this build 17  update yet (still on 16). Oculus Link is no longer working for me and I'm getting notice that I need to update my Quest software... That's not possible to do because Oculus doesn't allow for on demand updates. When look at About "check for updates" button is grayed out and showing "all up to date". This inability for a user to perform a manual update immediately is a huge problem and it's a solvable problem. Right now there's sort of a lottery system where all your Quest owners get put in queue to get the update over the course of a few days. When you get it is going to be luck of the draw, but if you're a developer depending on Quest and choose to not keep the beta channel versions of home and quest software on, you continue to run into this problem. It's unacceptable in 2020 for this to be a thing. Create a dynamic queuing system and make us wait 30-minute to get the update, but it must be available on demand same day and be something we can manually trigger.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,276 Valuable Player
    edited May 18

Oculus v17 rolled out to me today.  All seems to work fine.  During the installation I did not see any new driver install windows.  After it finished installing I shutdown my PC (full, not sleep or hibernate btw).  Then restarted my pc and fired up my Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

I tried a couple Oculus Store games (including Lone Echo for ~30 minutes), a couple Steam games, and a couple VivePort games.  Everything ran good as ever, no problems.  Also, all my Oculus devices properly reported usb 3.0 in the green.

Although I don't really use my Rift for xp11 anymore, just my Vive Pro, I thought I'd give it a go anyway.  I always startup xp11 with my Rift by calling up the Oculus desktop panel, then use my mouse to startup with a shortcut on my taskbar.  11.50b9 Vulkan started up no problems and I ended up in the usual startup hangar facing the menu boards.  Selected a flight and all worked perfectly.  Had a good fly around Chicago at dawn and everything was a very smooth 45-55fps.  The good old Oculus shutdown bug is still in effect and I still need to use task manager to kill it.

So, for me, v17 is working fine.  Thank goodness!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    I did have a driver update following the latest PTC update...  So reset the Sound enhancements (as usual!) for Rift S but that was all I needed to do, everything still works.
    I've not had any issues with updates since they fixed the random 'snow' etc. last year.
    Npt that this at all negates the issues others are having, just serves to illustrate that it isn't 'universal' :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • babyakuma88babyakuma88 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Update 5/15/2020: Hey everyone - thanks again for your patience during this rollout. The team just pushed out an update to those of you who have already received the v17 software update. This new build should resolve the blue screen crashes that some of you have reported. We have also pushed this same update to the PTC channel to those of you who have hit this issue on PTC but have not yet received the live version. Please do continue to let us know if you experience any problems with this new update using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software and by contacting customer support. Thank you!

---

Social Reporting

• We’ve made usability improvements to the in-VR reporting flow
    Oculus Link
    • You can now control audio and mic settings for Oculus Link directly from your Quest.
    • During setup, the Oculus desktop app will now let you know if your USB cable meets the standards required to power Link.
    • General stability improvements
    Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where some Rift users would join a party and couldn’t be heard by other party members. 
    Thank you ShowbizDonkey for the great roll out! We know and love what updates your team has been rolling out even in this tough period in time and we appreciate the updates. Thank you for being there for the Oculus Rift S community! God bless the team and your families! Cheers!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,530 Volunteer Moderator
    So my Oculus Home software updated, but having not powered on my Quest in about a week I don't have this build 17  update yet (still on 16). Oculus Link is no longer working for me and I'm getting notice that I need to update my Quest software... That's not possible to do because Oculus doesn't allow for on demand updates. When look at About "check for updates" button is grayed out and showing "all up to date". This inability for a user to perform a manual update immediately is a huge problem and it's a solvable problem. Right now there's sort of a lottery system where all your Quest owners get put in queue to get the update over the course of a few days. When you get it is going to be luck of the draw, but if you're a developer depending on Quest and choose to not keep the beta channel versions of home and quest software on, you continue to run into this problem. It's unacceptable in 2020 for this to be a thing. Create a dynamic queuing system and make us wait 30-minute to get the update, but it must be available on demand same day and be something we can manually trigger.
    Are you sure Link doesn’t work, or did you not try because you saw the notice to update your Quest? As of a couple updates ago, Link will work with a version mismatch as long as the Quest and the PC are within one update of each other. In this case, PC v17 has been out for a week, and Quest v17 just started rolling out yesterday. You’ll still see the banner recommending an update on the Quest if the versions mismatch, but it should still be able to connect. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,132
    Wintermute

I sent a report as it happened to me once again today. This time removing and re-plugging didn't fix and I had to reboot twice before my USB port was recognized as an USB 3 port. I really hope that will be sorted, I started to want to use my headset 45 min ago before fixing this s.....

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Hiro Protagonist
    Globespy said:

dhrto said:
    @Globespy
    I'm on the good old CV1 that is now 4 years old. I can accept that this has become a 'dinosaur' product like you describe. But the Rift S was just released a year ago. It is just plain unacceptable that is would already be abandoned in support. IMHO you should at the very least get 2 years of full support for it and then maybe have it moved over to extended support (no new features, only bug fixes). And of course, if a new update breaks stuff, they have to undo it.

Some people are more than happy to stay on older versions and are perfectly fine with that meaning not be able to join in the latest social 'advancements'. At least let us have this option then, if you're not going to fix bugs due to newer versions.
    I gave my CV1 to my daughter, I'm using the Rift S since launch and have been very happy with the upgrade over the CV1 - amazing what a different type of panel can do for the SDE!

I caught wind of what in hindsight has been a total train wreck of botched software releases, BEFORE they had the chance to update my Rift S.
    I successfully blocked all and any future updates and remain on the reliable and performance driven 1.43 core software.
    With the looming Win 10 May update, I just have to remember to put in place all the firewall rules BEFORE I plug in the Rift S to avoid what seems like a painful experience for many!

I don't use the Oculus store and given the big push for social media (Facebook) integration, I will not purchase any VR titles from Oculus going forwards.
    It's a shame that I (and others) had to take such draconian steps, but in all fairness they started this first and have shown nothing but contempt and total disregard for the Rift/Rift S consumer base - we won't ever forget how they handled this and hope there's some alternative competition on the next gen HMD's, even if the fact remains that Oculus pioneered 'best bang for your buck' in VR, and without them VR may very well be dead.
    But still, they are anti-consumer at their core and can't be trusted - VR is simply a tool to further their social media focus.
    And that's not tinfoil hat speak......

I sent you a DM.
  • amirtamadonamirtamadon Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Headset screens start flashing when I'm in floor calibration mode. The updates are very disappointing.
  • amirtamadonamirtamadon Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I'm getting white noise screen inside the headset. Is that normal?